Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Please learn me about online traffic schools. I am in CA. (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/799076-please-learn-me-about-online-traffic-schools-i-am-ca.html)

cantdrv55 03-01-2014 07:39 AM

Please learn me about online traffic schools. I am in CA.

Is it really an 8 hr class? Do I have to read everything, take notes then pass few hundred question quiz at the end? Any shortcuts to this? If it matters, I was busted for speeding doing 70 on a 55 while passing a truck.

Noah930 03-01-2014 07:43 AM

You can do it sitting in your underwear while drinking a beer. Just sayin'

No FHE, but a couple people on PPOT have done it. They said it didn't take them the 8 hrs or so that a traditional classroom program does. But there are time lockouts on the online test, so you can't just click through it in 20 minutes, IIRC.

vash 03-01-2014 07:57 AM

aw damn!!

i took the comedy class in walnut creek..it was barely funny.

no way i could survive an online class..

scottmandue 03-01-2014 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vash (Post 7937889)
aw damn!!

i took the comedy class in walnut creek..it was barely funny.

no way i could survive an on-line class..

I couldn't do on-line either... my home Internet sucks plus I just wanted to get it over with.

I went to a local community college... teacher was a retired accident investigator for the Federal government. Interesting guy and had some cool (and some gruesome) stories.

No shortcuts... it is a legal thing... your butt has to be in the chair for 8hrs (minus breaks).

Edit to add, the test is easy peasy... maybe 50 multiple choice... much like the DMV test.

I think if you do it on-line you can break up the sessions and accumulate the hours.

biosurfer1 03-01-2014 08:46 AM

wow, surprised by the online class comments here. The online class I went though took about 2 hours to finish with fast reading. They had little quizzes along the way to make sure you weren't just speeding through, and you couldn't move on until you pass. Most of the questions were common sense, however the more specific ones (how much is a specific fine, etc) required reading. Do a google search for strategies on how to speed things up. Final test was pretty much the same type of questions, just more of them. Not hard at all

The only other ticket I got was 14 years ago and I went to the 8 hour class at the community college. Not terrible but not how I want to spend a Saturday. I won't do anything but the online class again....or just not get another ticket :D

Craig T 03-01-2014 08:48 AM

Wow! What timing of a post.

I just did the Cheap Fast Fun - DMV TVS License # 1924 online traffic school last night. Start to finish was 20 minutes! ...for $18.95. They send the completion documents right to the LA Superior Courthouse.

You have content to read, then 3 questions at the end of each chapter. The questions are basic common sense. After the first chapter, I didn't even read the content. I just went straight to the questions. A 25 question test is at the end. it's the same questions they ask in the chapters. Its a joke really.

BTW...There are NO time lock-outs. Honestly, it took 20 minutes.

look 171 03-01-2014 09:23 AM

Last time I did it was the mail in package. Read the package, sign it and take the test. Very simple and painless. I read about half a page and decided to take the test. I am not sure if they still have those available.

look 171 03-01-2014 09:26 AM

I want to an actual traffic class and the instructor drive us nuts. they kept us there until the very end. The old days of letting us out for r 3 hour lunch and go home at 3pm is a thing of the past. They must be cracking down on them or this man was trying to make sure we get our moneys worth.

RicN 03-01-2014 09:26 AM

I did the online traffic school, gave up and just paid the speeding ticket, 80 in a 65.

notmytarga 03-01-2014 11:12 AM

The 20 min deal above may not last if they are truly monitoring these things. Of note is that a few years ago I got a ticket in the mountains and that county did not allow online course. It had to be classroom instruction - the odd thing is that I don't think that rural county had any classroom instruction - it was probably slow adopting anything online. Glacial.

scottmandue 03-01-2014 11:30 AM

Had I known you could cheat at the online course I would have been all over that!

I just presumed they would log your online time.

Craig T 03-01-2014 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottmandue (Post 7938296)
Had I known you could cheat at the online course I would have been all over that!

I just presumed they would log your online time.

There's no cheating in not reading every word. The goal of the course is not to make you a prisoner for eight hours. The goal is to teach you the content. If you already have a good understanding of traffic safety and the laws, then there is noting wrong with taking the final exam. If you fail it, then you have to wait 24 hours to take it again.

We all know, a simple speeding ticket in a Porsche does not necessarily mean the driver needs an education in traffic safety or law.

scottmandue 03-01-2014 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Craig T (Post 7938374)
The goal of the course is not to make you a prisoner for eight hours. The goal is to teach you the content.

I respectfully disagree... the goal is to punish you for getting a ticket... that is why you pay a 'fine'.

Some cleaver people have figured out a workaround of serving your 8 hour seance that comes with that fine, we will see how long that lasts.

Rick Lee 03-01-2014 12:26 PM

I used two laptops, one to look up answers and one to enter them, put a gun on the desk and drank bourbon while doing I it all. Cost $19.

Craig T 03-01-2014 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Lee (Post 7938412)
I used two laptops, one to look up answers and one to enter them, put a gun on the desk and drank bourbon while doing I it all. Cost $19.

Ha! My kind of guy Rick!

Scottmandue, the fine is the punishment for the violation. They are two separate issues. The intent of the traffic school option is to make you a safer driver. Going to traffic school does not get you out of paying the fine for the ticket...and you never have to go to traffic school. If it's voluntary, how can it be a punishment?

SeanPizzle 03-01-2014 01:23 PM

I have done it 3 times online over the last 10 years or so. None of them took longer than 30 minutes. Last one I finished in 14 minutes.

It's a troll tax. County gets their revenues and fees.

AZ_porschekid 03-01-2014 01:25 PM

I was pulling my hair off on the four hour quiz. If you can do it at work, read the slide bullets and ignore the videos. Quizzes are super easy.

dzls rok 03-01-2014 05:32 PM

I just used 510 Traffic School. it was easy and only took a couple of hrs from beginning to final exam. you can take more time if you want to break up the course. all of the chapter quizzes and final exam were all common sense. each quiz tells you which ones you got wrong and you can take them over multiple times if needed. the final exam you can take twice. if you don't pass the final exam, you can take the course over at no additional charge, if you choose to. I only read the stuff I didn't really know about.

look 171 03-01-2014 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rick Lee (Post 7938412)

Damn, never thought of that. You are so clever, thanks Rick.

aigel 03-01-2014 08:32 PM

Definitely do NOT take an in-person class. Online will always be easier. If you only have one computer available, you can copy over the content to a txt or word file before going tot the q/a section.

I know a guy who has his wife do the class for him online. :D "She's home watching the kids with nothing else to do - why would I not ask her to do it for me!" I think that's the best solution!

G