Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
Any porsche must see or do in London

Visiting London, any Porsche activities or destinations
71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 03-02-2014, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

I don't know about Porsche but London is a great city to visit. Lots to see and do. theatre, food, museums and historical places. Have a great visit.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Being originally from the UK I am not aware of as many Porsche activities as you do have in the US. Went to London a few years ago and I liked to walk around some of the better areas and look at the good cars parked outside.

Kensington, Hyde Park come to mind. Watched a huge brass band - must have been 80 in that group playing. It brought tears to my eyes. Going with my parents to downtown London in the 1960's there were a lot of chauffered Rolls and Bentleys.
Our humble Morris Oxford was dwarfed by these and the double decker buses. Not as many chauffered cars anymore but still interesting eye candy to look at. Cars as well.

There are many activities to look at. Imperial War Museum comes to mind. Also the usual Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square, Houses of Parliament etc.
Cheers, G.
Old 03-02-2014, 06:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

Picadilly Circus or Covent Garden on a Saturday night. Take the ride to Windsor and tour the castle.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-02-2014, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
When are you going? Although not in London exactly and not exclusively Porsche, The Goodwood Festival of Speed and the Goodwood Revival are fantastic motorsport events!

Goodwood Festival of Speed Tickets | Tickets for FOS

Have a great trip!

Michael
-- '01 Audi S4 (Sold)
-- '17 Tesla Model S60
Old 03-02-2014, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Detached Member

Go to the British Museum. Its amazing what an outstanding job the British did of looting the antiquities of other countries. Truly amazing.

I type this sort of tongue-in-cheek. The Brits had the foresight 100 years ago to collect antiquities that would have been melted down, recycled. When they were buying Egyptian mummies, the egyptians were burning them in their steam locomotives for fuel.

That museum made me realize how my (our) existance on this planet is but a nano second in mankinds history.

The adjacent Science Museum is equally amazing. It shows when Britian truly was the "Empire". The vast collection of miniature gas and steam engines will knock your socks off.

BTW, DO NOT drive in London.

Last edited by Hugh R; 03-02-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Old 03-02-2014, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Nice Porsche Centre on Berkeley Square...
Near a top end VW dealer.. .they stock Bentleys and the odd Veyron...!...
Always fun to wander round Mayfair and count the 991 and other nice cars just parked on the street.

Other car things... a bit thin in the Science Museum (South Kensington)...
Lots of very good museums...Imperial War Museum, RAF Museum.. and others if you really want to get into it all..

Also just out of town there is Brooklands; the world's first motor racing circuit... they still make AC Cobras there! Great museum too.. planes and cars aplenty...worth a trip.

When are you coming over? How long for?... and where are you staying... might know a nice place or two for an English adult beverage...
Old 03-02-2014, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Detached Member

I've had a pint or three with MFAFF, a true gentleman. He sent me a picture of a house I lived in as a kid in Oxford. Turns out his family lived a few houses down. In his words, he has a "proper" 911 meaning left hand drive.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

One of the things I enjoyed most was the Tower of London and looking at all the old weapons. There was a suit of armor for a guy that was 6'10" tall. A real giant of the day.
Old 03-02-2014, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Aye,

It was great to meet up with Hugh in town... partake of a few beers and as I recall a rather good fish and chips...just round the corner from his hotel.

Always happy to meet up with visiting Pelicans...
Old 03-02-2014, 09:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
Check out the Ace Cafe website;they have Porsche meets at least once a month on a Tuesday evening. Other car or motorcycle meets every day(weekends) or evening of the week.Food good for a greasy spoon place,and inexpensive(for London) . You can get there by bus from Hangar Lane underground station, they are on the outside of the Park Royal industrial estate.
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 03-03-2014, 02:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: