Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"O"man(are we in trouble)

"Obama acknowledged that the Taliban fighters released in the swap for Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl could reengage in war against the United States again, but he said he feels confident that if that were the case, the terrorists would be captured."

Read more: Obama on Bergdahl deal:

So it's Ok for the POS(POTUS) in DC to speculate but the rest of us have to mind our manners.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #141 (permalink)
Reiver

Peter,
The reason this firestorm began was/is because of 2 things.
1. The release process/admin was treating Bergdahl like a hero. Susan Rice said he served honorably and with distinction on a Sunday Show. A WH lawn ceremony with the President.
This went up the ass of every soldier that knew the truth, ergo the fire.
This upset many Gold Star Moms who's kids died looking for him and they blog.
2. The exchange of 5 senior leadership enemies classified by every Govt. entity as 'extremely dangerous- do not release'.
Then the admin talks about 'normal' pw exchanges that happen...WW2/Korea/RVN AS IF THE WAR IS CONCLUDED!
We released 5 senior enemy leaders during an active conflict with US personnel still in contact with the enemy.
He is a deserter.
He was classified as awol in the 15-6 investigation that was done immediately after his desertion.
Normally a soldier is classified a deserter 30 days after an awol but Bergdahl was know to be in captivity at that time so that event did not take place.
The unusual circumstance of a deserter being a captive precluded the normal classification taking place.
Do I trust this admin of Obama/Hagel to do the 'right thing'....sadly no, I do not. Not if it does not meet their political expediency...so I guess there is a 3rd reason for the intense reaction.
Lack of trust/truthfulness of this administration.
Old 06-03-2014, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #142 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
Good point cabman. ..what about that solder in Mexico?

on this Afghan story...

Q's:

1) was the US solder a deserter?
2) did the US make a smart trade?
3) was the trade legal?

A's:

1) Yes (likely) - all accounts indicate the Private didn't like his duty; didn't like his country; and walked towards India. (taking supplies, but leaving his guns)

2) Clearly not - the Taliban celebrated the deal almost as much as they celebrated the twin towers falling. Here, even Chris -Obama tingle- Mathews questions the deal.

3) No. Once again Obama plays King (FU, Congress) to distract from his many other failures in the news cycles.

yay... hope... change... not politics as usual... :-/
1: We don't know for certain. That is not for us to decide it is for the military to handle.
2: I don't think the situation justified meeting all the demands of the Taliban and releasing the 5 prisoners they demanded be released in return for Bergdahl
3: I think hearings should take place and if it is found the President violated the law, constitution or both impeachment proceedings should begin immediately. That I'm aware, the President can not with the stroke of a pen declare a law unconstitutional which from what I have read is what happened.

I am withholding judgement on Bergdahl being a deserter until all the facts come out. He was serving in Afghanistan where there was no easily identifiable enemy. I can only imagine the stress he was under not knowing if the guy walking up to him was friendly or going to shoot and kill him. Too many people who did not serve under those conditions or serve at all for that matter are being too quick to judge him for what he did.

Last edited by cabmando; 06-03-2014 at 07:42 AM..
Old 06-03-2014, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #143 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Peter,
The reason this firestorm began was/is because of 2 things.
1. The release process/admin was treating Bergdahl like a hero. Susan Rice said he served honorably and with distinction on a Sunday Show. A WH lawn ceremony with the President.
This went up the ass of every soldier that knew the truth, ergo the fire.
This upset many Gold Star Moms who's kids died looking for him and they blog.
2. The exchange of 5 senior leadership enemies classified by every Govt. entity as 'extremely dangerous- do not release'.
Then the admin talks about 'normal' pw exchanges that happen...WW2/Korea/RVN AS IF THE WAR IS CONCLUDED!
We released 5 senior enemy leaders during an active conflict with US personnel still in contact with the enemy.
He is a deserter.
He was classified as awol in the 15-6 investigation that was done immediately after his desertion.
Normally a soldier is classified a deserter 30 days after an awol but Bergdahl was know to be in captivity at that time so that event did not take place.
The unusual circumstance of a deserter being a captive precluded the normal classification taking place.
Do I trust this admin of Obama/Hagel to do the 'right thing'....sadly no, I do not. Not if it does not meet their political expediency...so I guess there is a 3rd reason for the intense reaction.
Lack of trust/truthfulness of this administration.
Assuming this was directed at me.

I get all of that but this guy needs to face up to what he has done in a Just way.

Meanwhile... I'm disappointed in your Current Administration. BO promised so much and delivered some of it but he could have done a whole lot better.
Like so many people around the world not just the US I expected more and sadly feel short changed by Mr BO. Don't even get me started on his wife and her extravagant lifestyle.

6 Years ago he could really deliver a speech and make everyone pay attention. In a suit he looked like a rock star and just had that thing.
I thought he was something special but like all of your Past Presidents in the end they are all shown to be human after all.

He looks beaten and done. In 6 years he's aged 20 IMHO.

But hey what would I know? I'm just a simple bloke from Down Under who should really mind his own business.

Last edited by sc_rufctr; 06-03-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Old 06-03-2014, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #144 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Don't even get me started on his wife and her extravagant lifestyle.
Now there's a can of worms that definitely shouldn't be opened.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #145 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Yesterday's NYT. If the below is true and there is no reason to not accept as accurate, looks pretty incriminating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/03/us/us-soldier-srgt-bowe-bergdahl-of-idaho-pow-vanished-angered-his-unit.html?_r=0

WASHINGTON — Sometime after midnight on June 30, 2009, Pfc. Bowe Bergdahl left behind a note in his tent saying he had become disillusioned with the Army, did not support the American mission in Afghanistan and was leaving to start a new life. He slipped off the remote military outpost in Paktika Province on the border with Pakistan and took with him a soft backpack, water, knives, a notebook and writing materials, but left behind his body armor and weapons — startling, given the hostile environment around his outpost.
Old 06-03-2014, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #146 (permalink)

Quote:
Assuming this was directed at me.

I get all of that but this guy needs to face up to what he has done in a Just way.

Meanwhile... I'm disappointed in your Current Administration. BO promised so much and delivered some of it but he could have done a whole lot better.
Like so many people around the world not just the US I expected more and sadly feel short changed by Mr BO. Don't even get me started on his wife and her extravagant lifestyle.

6 Years ago he could really deliver a speech and make everyone pay attention. In a suit he looked like a rock star and just had that thing.
I thought he was something special but like all of your Past Presidents in the end they are all shown to be human after all.

He looks beaten and done. In 6 years he's aged 20 IMHO.

But hey what would I know? I'm just a simple bloke from Down Under who should really mind his own business.
Peter, you are certainly entitled to express your opinion IMO. Just expect that others will express theirs as well. I think you're offering an outsider's perspective.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #147 (permalink)

From all accounts we know:

Obama failed to notify Congress in accordance with the law.
Bergdahl is in good health and there was no urgent reason to free him.
Bergdahl deserted his post and looked for the Taliban who picked him up while he was taking a crap.
He stated he was ashamed of his country and insulted those in his unit.
He probably helped the Taliban kill our troops.
As many as 13 soldiers died trying to find him.
We traded five of the most dangerous terrorists we captured for him- one of whom was a mass murderer.
Those terrorists are freely walking around in Qatar and there is nothing to stop them joining their comrades in Afghanistan and Pakistan.
The Army never classified Bergdahl as a POW.
His father has been working to free all the terrorists held in Guantanamo.
There is a groundswell of anger among the military the likes of which we haven't seen in a long time.

Wow. How anyone could even attempt to defend the administration on this is beyond me.

Last edited by cairns; 06-03-2014 at 09:29 AM..
Old 06-03-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #148 (permalink)

Quote:
What options? I don't see any except were they are right now.

Can you imagine releasing these "fine upstanding citizens" then some time passes and they HIT YOU to get some pay back for the last 13 odd years?
Repatriation, trial and jail or release or execution, jail in a third country, etc.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #149 (permalink)

Garage
I love the part where their travel is restricted for 1 year...1 year, and then they're free to head back to Afghanistan (or wherever) and go back to their mission.

Also, Qatar is the home of Al Jazeera. Terrorists hand deliver videos to their news studio there on a regular basis (I used to drive past it on a daily basis, and always thought about that little fact). In other words, it would be not at all difficult for these men to have messages brought to them, and for them to begin planning their next "big move" while living in the comforts of Qatar (which really is a nice country).
Old 06-03-2014, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #150 (permalink)
Reiver

Dondarnell

Originally Posted by dondarnell View Post
I served with Allen West in Vicenza, Italy. You can't be serious to believe he's competent for the top job. Don't know Carson

Got this from Al West last night

"Don't exactly recall but I suppose seeing his face would remind me….How ya doin'?"

So maybe that's not your real name or you just really didn't know the guy and just knew of him.
Email your real name and I'll fwd it to him.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #151 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Don't see that guy coming back to this. Trolled through with a few race baiting comments, then split when called on it.

Kinky Friedman
Old 06-03-2014, 02:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #152 (permalink)

Open criticism of a wartime president emboldens the enemy and gives aid and comfort to enemy combatants.

That is so 2004.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #153 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The ironic thing is that most right wingers these days are hard-core Israel supporters and Israel once traded over 1000 Palestine prisoners for one of their guys.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #154 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
The ironic thing is that most right wingers these days are hard-core Israel supporters and Israel once traded over 1000 Palestine prisoners for one of their guys.
Last I looked our laws had no effect whatsoever on Israeli conduct.
That's not irony that's a red herring.
I do support the only viable Democracy in the ME. Strongly.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #155 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The irony is that no one currently criticizing Obama would dream of doing the same with Netanyahu for trading over 1,000 prisoners for one of his soldiers.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the laws of the two countries.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #156 (permalink)

Hold on, it's okay when my tribe does it. What I object to is when your tribe does it.
Old 06-03-2014, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #157 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
The irony is that no one currently criticizing Obama would dream of doing the same with Netanyahu for trading over 1,000 prisoners for one of his soldiers.

It has absolutely nothing to do with the laws of the two countries.
Again, it is a straw man argument.
What Israel does in this regard is their own business...they've long traded pw's.
We, by law and tradition, have not bargained with terrorists since the start of these hostilities with Rislam.
It has no bearing on anything being discussed.
Old 06-03-2014, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #158 (permalink)
FBHO & FHRC

Wait... Does Dennis think this was a good move?

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 06-03-2014, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #159 (permalink)

I think its time to over throw the government !!
We do it in so many other places why not right here at home!!!
Old 06-03-2014, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #160 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: