Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Nice drivng roads suggestions BC-Monterey

Planning the trip to Monterey from BC and would like to go off the I-5 and enjoy some nice driving roads.

For you folks from Washington, Oregon and California, any suggestions? Are there other folks meeting up along the way?

I will be enjoying the trip with my 14 year old navigator, and would appreciate suggestions on interesting stops, cool museums etc..

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hwy. 1 from San Francisco down as far as you like...right along the beach a lot of the way.
Old 06-08-2014, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
Hwy. 1 from San Francisco down as far as you like...right along the beach a lot of the way.
Yes thats a beautiful drive. Took that route with a rental a few years ago. Can't wait driving it with the 930!

For now we are planning our way down from the Great North!
Old 06-08-2014, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Avenue of the Giants, State route 254. Google it and it will come up. Our PCA region drives it every once in a while. With little traffic you can go faster than Hwy 101, ask me how I know.
Beechcraft V-Tail Bonanza
(Fly'n high and low)
Old 06-08-2014, 07:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorschePilot View Post
Avenue of the Giants, State route 254. Google it and it will come up. Our PCA region drives it every once in a while. With little traffic you can go faster than Hwy 101, ask me how I know.
Thanks! Great info. Was debating if I should take the 97 all the way down to Altamont or cross the I5 and take the coastal route. Will for sure drive this route!

This helps a lot guys. The area between Seattle and San Fransico is all new to me!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Kamloops on 97 to south to Bend, OR, Hwy 138 past Crater Lake, Medford, into CA and that Hwy 96 (Klamath River) to coast. At Legget, start Hwy 1 and take thru SF, Half Moon Bay on in. Maybe divert to Skyline Dr. (Hwy 35 south of SF)......

Hate I-5 in WA and OR.....Can't see the ocean on Hwy 101 in WA, North 1/2 of Oregon is wall to wall towns, tourists and traffic....if you have time, can suggest great routes in NE Ore just off the 97. Enjoy
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles

Last edited by LakeCleElum; 06-09-2014 at 08:02 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A Secret Place

That route would be hard to improve on. Depending on time, there are nice roads further afield, but the route below is a winner.

My Dad lived in Bend for years and we used to fly into Seattle then head south to Bend. Both sides of my family are from the Bay area so we'd often head there from Bend.

Have a ball!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
Kamloops on 97 to south o f Bend, OR, Hwy 138 past Crater Lake, Medford, into CA and that Hwy 96 (Klamath River) to coast. At Legget, start Hwy and take thru SF, Half Moon Bay on in. Maybe divert to Skyline Dr. (Hwy 35 south of SF)......

Hate I-5 in WA and OR.....Can't see the ocean on Hwy 101 in WA, North 1/2 of Oregon is wall to wall towns, tourists and traffic......Enjoy.

The Spanish word for "D-Bag" is Latinx.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
5String

I would also suggest Highway G16, aka Carmel Valley Road, between Carmel, on Highway 1, and Greenfield, on Highway 101. It is tight, narrow, very scenic, and a whole lot of fun. Caution is required, however.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
hwy 1 gets old very quickly for me..

after a while, you just want a straight road to push the speed limit to get your ass to the destination quickly, so the party can get started.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by biosurfer1 View Post
If you wind up going this route, a 15 minute detour up hiway 17 in Santa Cruz will put you at Canepa Design in Scotts Valley. This is a high-end restoration shop that also features a motorsport museum and consignment showroom that're both filled with exotics, classics, and sports & racing cars. No charge to stop in and have a look around.

Canepa

The route thru the Carmel Valley between the 101 freeway and the Monterey Peninsula mentioned by 5string43 is an excellent drive as well.

BTW...Hwy 1 in CA is patrolled by the CHP w/radar & laser. Drive with appropriate caution...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
hwy 1 gets old very quickly for me..
I would have to agree somewhat. Probably not a good idea to use Hwy 1 if you're pressed for time. It certainly is one of the all-time great driving roads, but it can be slow going if you get caught up in a lot of summer tourist traffic. This will be especially true as you get closer to SF.
Actually, Hwy 101 from the OR/CA border down to the SF Bay Area is a really nice drive too, and will allow you to make much better time.

Last edited by rcooled; 06-09-2014 at 08:01 AM..
Old 06-09-2014, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcooled View Post
If you wind up going this route, a 15 minute detour up hiway 17 in Santa Cruz will put you at Canepa Design in Scotts Valley. This is a high-end restoration shop that also features a motorsport museum and consignment showroom that're both filled with exotics, classics, and sports & racing cars. No charge to stop in and have a look around.

Canepa

The route thru the Carmel Valley between the 101 freeway and the Monterey Peninsula mentioned by 5string43 is an excellent drive as well.

BTW...Hwy 1 in CA is patrolled by the CHP w/radar & laser. Drive with appropriate caution...

I would have to agree somewhat. Probably not a good idea to use Hwy 1 if you're pressed for time. It certainly is one of the all-time great driving roads, but it can be slow going if you get caught up in a lot of summer tourist traffic. This will be especially true as you get closer to SF.
Actually, Hwy 101 from the OR/CA border down to the SF Bay Area is a really nice drive too, and will allow you to make much better time.
Devils advocate: If you're pressed for time, take the I-5....I thought you were looking for fun routes? Hwy 1 from Legget south? Considered one of the top 10 roads in the world.....It can be slow and frustrating on the weekends for sure....I try to hit it on a weekday, sometimes starting mid-afternoon and let the traffic get off the road. Either that or really early.......Everyone should do it once.....I've done it over 25 times coming from Seattle......Read the books: Tales from Over the Edge" about the Sunday motorcycle rides........Yes, there is enforcement, but like everywhere else, use your head?
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 06-09-2014, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Kamloops on 97 to south to Bend, OR, Hwy 138 past Crater Lake, Medford, into CA and that Hwy 96 (Klamath River) to coast. At Legget, start Hwy 1 and take thru SF, Half Moon Bay on in. Maybe divert to Skyline Dr. (Hwy 35 south of SF)......

Hate I-5 in WA and OR.....Can't see the ocean on Hwy 101 in WA, North 1/2 of Oregon is wall to wall towns, tourists and traffic....if you have time, can suggest great routes in NE Ore just off the 97. Enjoy
Thanks a lot guys. Piecing together a nice route. And as mentioned, I would like to avoid the I5 as much as possible.

For Canepa, there is a trip scheduled at the parade. Looking forward to that one!

Yeas, I got some time. Leaving Wednesday with an ETA of Saturday night. If we do 500-600 km a day we are in good shape. Even arriving Sunday is not a problem at all. (We need to be on time for the zone 6 party though...)
Old 06-09-2014, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
=VLOOKUP(val,tab,col,rng)

Garage
chuckanut drive, Bellingham. Floor it.
Old 06-09-2014, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
This is roughly what's it going to be!

https://goo.gl/maps/ZD6Jf

Last edited by rrental; 06-09-2014 at 09:02 PM..
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrental View Post
This is roughly what's it going to be!

https://goo.gl/maps/ZD6Jf
Looks good, but: at Legget, turn of the 101 onto Hwy 1 if you have time.....U won't be sorry....

Have an empty cabin with a view of Lake Cle Elum if coming thru either way after I return to the country July 2nd.....Have fun...
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 06-10-2014, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

If your schedule allows, please note that the Porsche Racing Club will be racing under NASA sanction at Sears Point on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Somewhere between 30 and 45 racers will likely compete in an all-Porsche group.

Good racing and friendly folks in the paddock.

Hope that your travels are safe.

- Mike
Porsche Racing Club #4
BMWCCA
NASA
Old 06-10-2014, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
If you have time, buy and consult these books:
Destination Highways - Roads you journey to, to travel on...

Buy the companion maps as well.

They seem expensive, but they are well worth the price. They will help you get off the main roads and find the real gems.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Looks good, but: at Legget, turn of the 101 onto Hwy 1 if you have time.....U won't be sorry....

Have an empty cabin with a view of Lake Cle Elum if coming thru either way after I return to the country July 2nd.....Have fun...
Will take the advise for the return trip! Thanks for the offer but unfortunately I will need to be back at work before the end of the month..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahler9th View Post
If your schedule allows, please note that the Porsche Racing Club will be racing under NASA sanction at Sears Point on Saturday and Sunday this weekend. Somewhere between 30 and 45 racers will likely compete in an all-Porsche group.

Good racing and friendly folks in the paddock.

Hope that your travels are safe.

- Mike
Hi Mike, if we pass your place at a reasonable time I will stop and say hello!

All good to go. My navigator is going old school. Bought a map and he will navigate us all the way to Monterrey. Always good to teach kids how to read a map! He spend the last few day waxing and detailing the car. Worked his .$$ off to finish his finals early in order to leave tomorrow.

Going to be epic! Thanks for the advise guys!
Old 06-10-2014, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc View Post
If you have time, buy and consult these books:
Destination Highways - Roads you journey to, to travel on...

Buy the companion maps as well.

They seem expensive, but they are well worth the price. They will help you get off the main roads and find the real gems.
Thanks for the tip. Will get them as I am sure we will make lots of more trips in the near future..
Old 06-10-2014, 10:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
abides.

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrental View Post
Thanks for the tip. Will get them as I am sure we will make lots of more trips in the near future..
Glad to help.
I think Rolf first turned me on to them. Him, Peter (nize), and I have all used them in planning CanAm drives over the years.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: