Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Sugar Scoops Rule :)

Garage
How do the heaters in electric cars work?

With no coolant system, what do the Tesla and Leaf use for heaters? Just curious, I saw a Tesla on the way in to work this morning and that thought popped in my head....
'62 VW Type 1 Sunroof
'73 914 2.0 (1st Porsche, gone long ago but not forgotton)
Old 06-10-2014, 07:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Just a wild guess.

The batteries themselves have a cooling system on many electric vehicles. Maybe that can provide heat to the cabin.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 06-10-2014, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I am so 20th Century. I would have said resistance heaters. So, smart guy, without any IC engine to produce a vacuum, what makes the wipers go?
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Teslas have liquid cooled/heated battery packs that keep themselves at roughly room temperature, so there is a coolant supply that's always in the 70°F range. Leafs do not have liquid cooling, so any heat is from a resistance heater. The Volt takes the Tesla model one step further and will start its ICE for a few minutes to get 185°F coolant to heat the cabin if it's below 35°F outside, and not plugged in.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Where does the heat come from on an air (oil) cooled 911? I believe they also have resistance just like a space heater if the system doesn't give enough heat.

Patrick, the wiper are run from the vacuum pump just like the old Willys jeeps had.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Vey, yes mister President

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
Where does the heat come from on an air (oil) cooled 911? I believe they also have resistance just like a space heater if the system doesn't give enough heat.

Patrick, the wiper are run from the vacuum pump just like the old Willys jeeps had.
old 911s have a heat exchanger in the exhaust. thats why they have such ridiculously powerful heat.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure it is a heat pump in a Tesla
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Toasters....
Old 06-10-2014, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisen View Post
I don't know anything about how EVs provide heat, but it's good to see kaisen posting here again
Old 06-10-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
+1

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
Heat comes from the flames under the floorboards.

Black Cars Matter
Old 06-10-2014, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
300hp 1800lbs is the goal

Garage
They don't. Not very well at least.

There is a reason you don't see many/any in colder climates.

Range drops to nothing as soon as you need electric heat.

The science was settled: Earth was flat.
Galileo : Flat Earth denier.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
^This.

Or warm pixie dust.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
Old 06-10-2014, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksystems View Post

I'm in a cold climate. There are tons of them here. If you can keep them plugged in, you can set the climate control to allow "shore power" to heat the car. Then when you drive off it's already warm and you're just maintaining the temp. If it's not plugged in and you need to warm with 100% battery power, you're going to have a limited range (Volt not withstanding).
Old 06-10-2014, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Vey, yes mister President

Quote:
Originally Posted by pksystems View Post

i see them all the time here in Minnesota. even in winter ....
Old 06-10-2014, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
i am so 20th century. I would have said resistance heaters. So, smart guy, without any ic engine to produce a vacuum, what makes the wipers go?
lol!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Heated seats... not kidding. I have a Volt - and yes, if you heat the cabin on a cold day it drains the batteries, however, heating your butt is much more energy efficient. I have only had to deal with a couple of cold mornings since I had the car, and butt heating seemed to be adequate for the 28° temp outside. I am sure when I have to deal with -0° I will be using the heater....
Old 06-10-2014, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Hippie farts, really? Must be like old Cheerios and beer....
Old 06-10-2014, 12:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Had a friend with a 60s Elan - of course the heater was dicey.... he always joked - 'Just wrap a weasel around your neck - you'll be fine.'
Old 06-10-2014, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: