Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

The Steve Jobs movie

I finally watched it last night. What a straight up D-Bag of epic proportions. Made me wish I had never given Apple one cent. Apple should have bought the rights to the film and made a huge bonfire and torched the film. How can such a low life scum bag pos like that be that successful?
Old 06-11-2014, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
least common denominator

We rented the DVD too... granted Mr Jobs doesn't come off as the nicest guy on the planet.
However most genius business people (Howard Hughes comes to mind) are generally rude/ruthless/narrow minded.
I'm not a fanboy, don't own any apple product myself, but there is no denying he changed computing as we know it.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Jobs wasn't great because he was a nice guy. He was great because he changed our technology and lives. He also made a lot of people a lot of money, by the by.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Do not care. Dude was a D-Bag
Old 06-11-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Didn't he once admit that Apple never saw a good idea it wasn't willing to steal? Kind of makes you want to root for Samsung.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Surprised? Haven't seen the movie but did they depict any good side of Job's? The millions he's MADE for others.... investors....., employment around the world....., charities, etc.

On a typical scale, read deep into Henry Ford. What a SOB he must have been.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slakjaw View Post
Did you work with him? Did you know him?

Troll much?

I can pretty much guarantee you that the people who worked for Steve Jobs would say that they are much better people for the experience. I would give anything to have someone who could pressure me to be my best.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Wow, I only saw the second half, and came away impressed if the movie in any way represented things.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

I would have punched him in the throat if I worked for him. Pushing people to be their best was not a problem. Being a deadbeat dad, a liar, a thief, screwing people out of money. those are all serious problems.

But you can just call it trolling and go on your way. Later.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I would have punched him in the throat if I worked for him. Pushing people to be their best was not a problem. Being a deadbeat dad, a liar, a thief, screwing people out of money. those are all serious problems.

But you can just call it trolling and go on your way. Later.
Yes, punching your boss in the throat is also a very admirable character trait.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Thread Killer

My troll meter is resting comfortably on zero here.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I think the OP is put off by the fact that guys like Jobs, titans of industry, aren't very nice in reality. Perhaps it's the pseudo-liberal tech nerd persona guys like Jobs and Gates personify to their fan base that makes it a shock to realize they aren't cuddly liberal hippies at all, they are mean SOBs who did what it took to get very rich and make some other people very rich along the way.

The measure of highly successful people isn't what they show you in their public images or how they come across on Oprah. It's the money they made, often quite ruthlessly, for themselves and for the investor class.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BE911SC View Post
Didn't he once admit that Apple never saw a good idea it wasn't willing to steal? Kind of makes you want to root for Samsung.
That is the nature of the IT business. If memory serves me, Apple 'stole' the mouse concept from Microsoft. But Microsoft stole the mouse idea from Xerox. Nolan Bushnell stole the idea of Pong from Ralph Baer. Apple and Samsung are fighting over capacitive touch-screen technology, but I suspect neither of them actually invented this innovation. And those are just three examples off the top of my head!

Here's the issue with IT and ethics: you can invent a technology, and even patent it, but the concepts (ie: "the thought") behind the invention cannot be patented. Case in point: if a programmer writes a slick program for company A and then gets hired by company B, he can potentially write a similar slick program for his new company, even if he is a disclosure statement with company A. Company A can claim ownership of a program, but it cannot claim the ownership of the thoughts of the programmer who created it.

As for Steve Jobs: all I know is that he was a man driven by ambition. With those types of people, ther are two options: get out of the way, or join him in his quest. And I am sure that many of the folks who were with Apple during the start of that company are not complaining too much about the working conditions, given the amounts of money they have made over the years...

-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 06-11-2014, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
That is the nature of the IT business. If memory serves me, Apple 'stole' the mouse concept from Microsoft. But Microsoft stole the mouse idea from Xerox. Nolan Bushnell stole the idea of Pong from Ralph Baer. Apple and Samsung are fighting over capacitive touch-screen technology, but I suspect neither of them actually invented this innovation. And those are just three examples off the top of my head!
-Z-man.
This! And this isn't even exclusive to tech, it is not always the first guy with the idea but the first person to get the patent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
As for Steve Jobs: all I know is that he was a man driven by ambition. With those types of people, ther are two options: get out of the way, or join him in his quest. And I am sure that many of the folks who were with Apple during the start of that company are not complaining too much about the working conditions, given the amounts of money they have made over the years...

-Z-man.
Don't know about that... also don't know how factual the movies is... but (according to the movie) Jobs pretty much fired (screwed) almost everyone that helped him start the company by working in a garage.

In the middle of the movie he gets his girlfriend pregnant and kicks her out telling her "it is not his problem" (major douche bag move).
She moves out and has the child, named her Lisa.
He named one of Apples first computers Lisa (it was a huge failure)
At the end of the movie (IIRC) Jobs is in a huge mansion with his wife and a couple kids... one of the kids is a girl named Lisa.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
least common denominator

The fanboy in this thread is strong...

Perhaps some of you might want to check out the movie then get back to up with your opinions.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Deplorable Member

Garage
The Steve Jobs movie

Seriously man, is there anyone or anything you don't hate? I know you've had some difficult times lately but you may want to look into some therapy before you end up gunning down a shopping mall full of housewives and children. You've clearly got some pent-up issues that need to be worked out.

It was a movie for chrissakes. About a guy you probably never met and probably don't know anyone who ever worked or dealt with. And biographies (particularly film biographies) typically embellish a lot to make them interesting and sellable.

Perspective. Get some.

Black Cars Matter

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 06-11-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Old 06-11-2014, 09:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Ever wonder what it is like to deal with you ?
Old 06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

I don't hate everyone. I am an apple fanboy but I never cared about Steve jobs. People idolize a guy who was filthy rich while his kid and the mother of his kid were on welfare. Sorry guys i just wanted to b1tc4 about it for a sec.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

Yes I do wonder what that is like. Please tell me. Seriously, I do wonder

Quote:

Quote de slakjaw

Ever wonder what it is like to deal with you ?
Old 06-11-2014, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
least common denominator

Conversely, just because you may not like Mr. Slackjaw doesn't mean Mr. Jobs was any less of a A-hole... as was said Henry Ford fed a lot of hungry mouths (and probably made more money than Jobs) made a lot of people rich, and changed the world as we know it however it has been reported that he was not necessarily the nicest guy on the planet.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: