Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Murder in my Neighborhood

A sad occurance in my neighborhood on July 3. A homeowner was awakened by the backup generator coming on after his power was cut. He and his wife heard noises in the garage an he armed himself and went to investigate. He confronted a man in his garage and struggle ensued. The thief wrestled the gun away and shot the homeowner. The wife called 911 and the murderer left. He was arrested walking in the neighborhood a short time later.

The homeowner was an older gent who was involved in the ministry. I have been told that the murderer lived in the area with his mother. The perp was about 30 with some prior convictions, most recently for DWI. He had been at a halfway house and was release from there after his mother accepted him into her house. It is thought that the murderer and the victim may have known each other from the halfway house where the victim would volunteer to minister to the men living there. Further speculation was that the victim recognized the man in his garage that night and this was how the murderer was able to get the gun away from the homeowner.

So very sad that this piece of schiesse took a good mans life for nothing.

Texas will met out the stiffest penalty.

Preacher fatally shot by own gun while trying to stop burglar | khou.com Houston
Old 07-07-2014, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What a sad circumstance for everyone involved. Horrible.

The next seventy posts will fall into two categories:

1) The preacher shouldn't have thought twice to blast the perp right between his eyes. His hesitation / empathy allowed the perp to get the gun and kill him. Kill or be killed.

2) Just think if the preacher wouldn't have grabbed his gun to investigate, he wouldn't have lost it to the perp, and may be here today. Guns don't solve problems, they create them.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
That sucks.

Heard a bit on the news.

Sorry to hear.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Piece of scum. I'll buy the rope.
Old 07-07-2014, 07:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Sounds like a good man, what a shame. RIP.
Old 07-07-2014, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
He does sound like he was a good man, they always seem to die too young.

Interesting that the power was cut.

Francis Bacon
Old 07-07-2014, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

B58/732

Very unfortunate. It depressing that the victim devoted his life to trying to help people and paid for it with his life at the hands of one of the people he had tried to help.

On another note -

The article title is rather disturbing: "Preacher fatally shot by own gun while trying to stop burglar". I've noticed this trend in the media where the authors attribute actions to the gun rather than the person who pulled the trigger.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
damn.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

It was strange that the power was cut. I think the murderer did that from the breaker box in the garage. If he went to the trouble to do that then it would indicate that he wasn't just looking to pilfer some power tools. I have not heard if he had any weapons.

The neighborhood security stopped the guy before the crime as he walked thru the neighborhood but he told them he lived there and was just on a walk. The security evidently was satisfied with the answer and did not call the police. We had just scaled back the neighborhood security from a constable with real authority to the security guard.

The picture of the guy in the link is from his DUI from a few years back. I am told that he now has a shaved head with a bushy beard.

Wonder is the widow will sue the security company.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The scary part of this is, we all know someone like this murderer who is a deadbeat/in and out of trouble/living with Momma at an advanced age, in our own neigborhoods. It makes me wonder why he attempted to cut the power to the house before going in. This sounds like everything about the robbery was pre-meditated except the outcome.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
This bums me out.

I've trained with SWAT. I suck. I'd probably blast my foot off in the excitement. It not like the movies.

I'm better off laying down a defensive position and waiting for the cops.

Scary.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
Old 07-07-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
This bums me out.

I've trained with SWAT. I suck. I'd probably blast my foot off in the excitement. It not like the movies.

I'm better off laying down a defensive position and waiting for the cops.

This exactly. I don't see ANY reason to go looking for trouble if someone breaks in. No way am I confronting anyone. Put my family behind me and then anyone in front is the bad guy. Click - Boom.

Now I have gone downstairs to investigate an outside noise, but if I heard it inside, no way....
2001 GT3 Cup - "Pepin"
1999 Spec Miata
1996 993 RS Replica
1971 Norton 750 Commando
Alcon Brake Kits
Old 07-07-2014, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

he should have stayed in bed...
he wasn't prepared to shoot...
you don't save souls in your garage at 2 in the morning..

Rika
Old 07-07-2014, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstreit View Post
This exactly. I don't see ANY reason to go looking for trouble if someone breaks in. No way am I confronting anyone. Put my family behind me and then anyone in front is the bad guy. Click - Boom.

Now I have gone downstairs to investigate an outside noise, but if I heard it inside, no way....
We are the same. Two story house, bedrooms on the second floor. Dogs on the first floor, Jack Russel to awaken the muscle, gate on the stairs. Alarms.

Know who is home, get them in the master bedroom and set up shop.

I have left the house after folks on the farm, but that is another story.

Kitchen clean.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
And I'd bet they'd play hell taking a fun away from someone with your training Paul. Or at least you'd stand a better chance than the rest of us.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
The bottom line is that these are dangerous situations that can go sideways in a hurry. He may have made a fatal mistake going into his garage but that doesn't make him any less of a good man. Sad story, RIP.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Weseeeee911

Garage
If it's outside, I call the police. If it's inside I'd take a defensive position and still call the police. If my daughter is home from college and someone breaks in, I'll be on offensive!
Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
The bottom line is that these are dangerous situations that can go sideways in a hurry. He may have made a fatal mistake going into his garage but that doesn't make him any less of a good man. Sad story, RIP.

Agree. He wasn't short on bravery either.

Sent via Jedi mind trick.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: