Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
She had the right to die with dignity.....

Vatican condemns Brittany Maynard's end-of-life decision
Old 11-05-2014, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

Garage

I knew this guy....good lawyer.....his staff were a buncha wankers.

Tom Sneddon -- the prosecutor who tried twice to nail Michael Jackson on child molestation charges -- has died.

Sneddon -- who served as D.A. of Santa Barbara County for more than a quarter century -- famously lost the case against Jackson in 2005, in which Jackson was accused of plying his alleged victim with wine, sexually assaulting him at Neverland and holding his family hostage.

But Sneddon went after Jackson more than a decade before, trying to prosecute the singer for allegedly molesting a boy at Neverland. Jackson made the boy's civil case go away at a cost of $20 million and the boy and his family refused to cooperate with Sneddon, so the case went away.

Sneddon, who had 9 kids, fiercely believed Jackson was a child molester. For Jackson's part, in one of his tracks you hear him say, "Tom Sneddon is a cold man."

He died of cancer.

Read more: Celebrity Deaths | TMZ.com
Old 11-05-2014, 01:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage

Static X singer Wayne Static has died at the age of 48.

The band released a statement late Saturday night about his death ... but no details surrounding how he passed away were given.

The band hit it big in '99 with their song "Push It" and their album went platinum. They went on to make 5 more ... but after breaking up in 2013, the front man pursued a solo career.

Wayne was set to co-headline tours with Powerman 5000 and Drowning Pool in the coming months.

Old 11-05-2014, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)

Garage
PARIS (AP) — Flamenco guitarist Manitas de Plata, who sold nearly 100 million records worldwide and broke boundaries for Gypsy musicians, has died in southern France. He was 93.

De Plata died in a Montpellier retirement home early Wednesday surrounded by his extended family, his great nephew, Ricao Bissiere, told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Phindile Mwelase, the South African female boxer, died on Saturday after failing to emerge from a two-week coma.

Mwelase – who reportedly turned 31 while in hospital last week – was knocked out by Liz Butler in a fight on 10 October in Pretoria.

The light welterweight boxer was taken first to Kalafong Hospital, but was later transferred to Steve Biko Hospital where she underwent surgery to stem bleeding on the brain. She was taken off life support and moved out of intensive care last week, but it is thought that she never regained consciousness.

It has been a difficult week for South African sport, with three of the country’s sportsmen dying in the past four days. Runner Mbulaeni Mulaudzi was killed in a car crash on Friday, while the national goalkeeper Senzo Meyiwa was shot and killed during an apparent robbery at his girlfriend’s home on Sunday.

Mwelase’s funeral will be held on Saturday in her hometown Ladysmith.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Local surfer

DES MOINES, Iowa (AP) — S. Donald Stookey is no household name, but his best-known invention truly is: CorningWare, the durable, heat-resistant ceramic glass used since the 1950s to make millions upon millions of baked lasagnas, tuna casseroles and other potluck-dinner dishes.

The scientist, who died Tuesday at 99, created a type of glass so strong that the military used it in guided missile nose cones. His space-age material found a home in most American kitchens in the form of white dishes decorated with small blue flowers.

Stanley Donald Stookey died at an assisted living center in Rochester, New York, said his son Donald Stookey. He said his father broke a hip in a fall a few months ago and underwent surgery, but his health deteriorated.

"He was one of the great glass scientists in the history of the world," said Steve Feller, a physics professor at Coe College in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, where Stookey earned an undergraduate degree in chemistry and mathematics and remained active in alumni activities. "Virtually everyone has had CorningWare at some point in time, and there were all sorts of spinoff applications from his fantastic work."

CorningWare was celebrated for its versatility. It was strong enough to withstand minor kitchen mishaps, and it gave home cooks the ability to bake and serve food in the same dish. The dishes could go straight from the oven to the dinner table and then into the refrigerator or freezer.

You could also put them in a microwave, and some types could be heated atop a stove. They were a common sight at family gatherings, potlucks and holiday celebrations across the county.

Stookey joined Corning Glass Works in New York in 1940, the same year he graduated with a doctorate in physical chemistry from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He immersed himself in research, studying the complex chemistry of oxidation and its effects on glass, according to a company biography.

In 1952, he placed a plate of glass into an oven to heat it, but the oven malfunctioned. Instead of heating to 600 degrees Celsius (1,112 degrees Fahrenheit), the oven shot up to 900 degrees (1,652 degrees). Stookey expected to find a molten mess. Instead, he found an opaque, milky-white plate. Removing it from the oven, his tongs slipped, and the plate fell to the floor. But rather than shatter, it bounced.

He had discovered glass ceramics, which Corning patented as Pyroceram. By the end of the 1950s, the work led to CorningWare, one of the company's most successful product lines.

"He was fearless — the unknown never daunted him," said David Morse, Corning's chief technology officer. "He was an unassuming and quiet but tough person," whose numerous inventions generated big businesses for the company. "Don was recognized throughout the glass technology community as a world-class scientist."

In a 2011 interview, Stookey said he initially viewed glass research as a way to make money, but became intrigued by glass' special characteristics.

"I thought this might be a field where I could find something new, invent things not seen before, and I was lucky to have that be the case," he said in a video project funded by The History Channel for the Corning Museum of Glass.

CorningWare is still sold today, although it is now marketed by World Kitchen LLC, an Illinois-based company formed after Corning Inc. spun off its consumer-products division in 1998.

Stookey earned 60 U.S. patents. His other innovations included developing photosensitive glass that helped lead to color television picture tubes.

He received the National Medal of Technology from President Ronald Reagan in 1987. In 2010, at age 94, he was inducted into the National Inventors Hall of Fame.

"Half of his life was being a professional, well-known scientist, and the other half was fully being a father to three of us kids, a family man and a good husband," Stookey's son said. "He took us hunting and fishing and on vacations around the country and around the world."

Stookey was born in Hay Springs, Nebraska, on May 23, 1915. His family moved from Nebraska to Cedar Rapids when he was 6. He graduated from Coe College in 1936 before earning a master's degree in chemistry from Lafayette College in Easton, Pennsylvania, followed by the MIT doctorate.
Old 11-07-2014, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Garage
Rick Rosas, bass player for Neil Young, Joe Walsh and many others......

Neil Young Bassist Rick Rosas Dead at 65 | Ultimate Classic Rock

"The only two things you can truly depend upon are gravity and greed." - Jack Palance
Old 11-07-2014, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Garage

Yep, he looks homeless.....

Last edited by Joe Bob; 11-07-2014 at 02:39 PM..
Old 11-07-2014, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)

Garage
CHICAGO (AP) — Former Illinois Rep. Lane Evans, a Vietnam War-era Marine who fought for veterans' rights during his 24 years in the U.S. House, has died after a long fight with Parkinson's disease.

The Democrat died Wednesday at a nursing home in East Moline, Illinois, said his former congressional staffer, Michael Malmstrom, who also was one of Evans' legal guardians. He was 63.

"In the early days of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, Lane was one of the first members of Congress to take on issues like PTSD and TBI," said Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America CEO Paul Rieckhoff, referring to the acronym for traumatic brain injury. "He helped put our issues on the map."

Evans joined the Marines at age 17, and had orders for Vietnam. But he served in Okinawa, Japan, as a security guard because his older brother was already deployed in the war.

As a congressman, he fought for the rights of veterans and became the senior Democrat on the House Veterans' Affairs Committee. He pushed legislation to help those exposed to Agent Orange and to give former service members rights to judicial review in pursuing benefits claims.

He also campaigned for veterans grappling with post-traumatic stress disorders and other health problems, as well as those having trouble finding employment.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Garage
Another hero that stood up for the his beliefs.

LAGUNA HILLS, California (AP) — Jack Broughton, the decorated Air Force fighter pilot who flew more than 200 missions in Korea and Vietnam and later became an outspoken critic of the White House and military leaders, has died.

Broughton died Oct. 24 at a hospital in California, his son Mark said Wednesday. He was 89 and had been treated for a variety of ailments.

As a star pilot beginning in the 1940s, Col. Jack Broughton was hailed for his bravery and tactical cunning, and seemed well on his way to becoming a general.

But his career was ended after a high-profile court-martial during the Vietnam War. In 1967, Broughton was accused of covering up the strafing of a Soviet freighter in the North Vietnamese port of Cam Pha by a pilot under his command.

Broughton and two of his pilots were court-martialed. All were acquitted of the most serious charges, conspiracy to violate Air Force rules of engagement that ruled certain targets off-limits.

The court-martial was later expunged, but Broughton retired.

After leaving the Air Force, Broughton criticized President Lyndon Johnson and Defense Secretary Robert McNamara for mismanagement of the military during the war. He blasted the restrictions Washington placed on bomber pilots out of fear that the Soviet Union or China could be drawn into the conflict.

"We were poorly utilized, we were hopelessly misdirected and restricted, and we were woefully misused by a chain of stagnant high-level civilian and military leadership that didn't have the (courage) to fight the war that they ineptly micromanaged," Broughton wrote in his 2007 memoir, "Rupert Red Two: A Fighter Pilot's Life From Thunderbolts to Thunderchiefs."

Mark Broughton said his father never wavered in his beliefs.

"He was always highly patriotic, and believed in leadership and the military structure that we have," Mark Broughton said. "But his feeling was, if you go to war and put people in harm's way, play to win, or get the hell out."

In retirement, Broughton wrote several books and was a commercial pilot. He also worked for the manufacturer Rockwell International, including work on safety measures for the B-1 bomber and the space shuttle Endeavour.

Old 11-07-2014, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Garage
Another, who the heck is this......

Rapper Big Paybacc was shot and killed Thursday inside a McDonald's in Palmdale, CA and police say this was no random shooting ... it was personal.

The 38-year-old rapper (real name Habeeb Ameer Zekajj) was reportedly eating lunch at 12:30 PM when someone walked in and shot him once. Police say there were about 15 other customers inside at the time.

LA County Sheriff’s Department Lt. John Corina told reporters, "There was no altercation ... This guy just walked in through one door, shot him and left out another door. So it looked like something personal. He had something against this individual. It wasn’t like he shot up the McDonald’s. He just shot him and left."

His girlfriend told reporters he left behind three children.

Old 11-09-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

My brother, three weeks ago this evening.

He was way too young and the reason behind it is a bit of a story but a heart attack will absolutely sneak up on you out of nowhere. He was at the GI doctor earlier that day and granted they don't check your heart, but nothing they saw or that he felt was out of the ordinary.
Old 11-10-2014, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Feel free to post his pic and bio......I'm sorry for your loss.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)

Garage
Crud....someone else my age.

TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — Big Bank Hank, a member of the pioneering hip-hop group the Sugarhill Gang, has died, a funeral director has confirmed.

He was 57.

Aree Booker, a funeral director with Eternity Funeral Services in Englewood, New Jersey, didn't specify the cause of death, but said the rapper died Tuesday and that his funeral home would handle the services.

Big Bank Hank, whose real name was Henry Jackson, was a part of the Sugarhill Gang in 1979 when the band had hip-hop's first hit with "Rapper's Delight." It is one of the most recognized and popular rap songs of all time.

"Rapper's Delight" was released as hip-hop music started to emerge as a genre, and it landed in the Top 40 on the Billboard Hot 100 charts. It also peaked at No. 4 on the Hot Soul Singles chart (now called the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart).

The Sugarhill Gang also included Master Gee and Wonder Mike. The group formed in Englewood, New Jersey.

After "Rapper's Delight," the trio had minor successes with songs such as "Apache" and "8th Wonder," but faded away. Their last album was the 1999 children's rap album, "Jump On It!"

"Rapper's Delight" became a success thanks to the late Sylvia Robinson, the record label owner who released the song on her Sugar Hill Records. She was known as "the mother of hip-hop" and died in 2011.

Last edited by Joe Bob; 11-11-2014 at 06:20 PM..
Old 11-11-2014, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Another bassist....

SAVANNAH, Georgia (AP) — The bass player for the heavy metal band Black Tusk has died after being critically injured in a weekend motorcycle crash near his Georgia home.

The death Jonathan Athon, 32, of Savannah was confirmed Monday by the band's record label, Relapse Records. Black Tusk recently finished recording a follow-up to the band's 2011 album "Set The Dial" and the 2013 EP "Tend No Wounds," said Bob Lugowe, the label's marketing director.

Athon suffered critical injuries Friday night when his Harley-Davidson motorcycle crashed into the side on an SUV in Savannah's downtown historic district, according to Savannah-Chatham County police. Athon died Sunday at a local hospital after being taken off life support, Black Tusk said in a statement posted on its Facebook page.

"Doctors told us that he suffered irreparable brain damage shortly after the accident," said the online statement, which Lugowe confirmed came from the band. "He has been in a coma and sustained by life support until now. As per his wishes, we removed Athon from his life support systems and his organs will be donated."

Police said a passenger, identified by the band as Athon's girlfriend, was also hospitalized with injuries from the crash. Emily Boutwell, 26, was in fair condition Monday at Memorial Health University Medical Center, said hospital spokesman Michael Notrica.

A heavy metal trio, Black Tusk formed in Savannah in 2005 and honed a raw, no-frills style sometimes referred to as "swamp metal." In less than a decade, the band released four albums and several EPs on independent labels.

Old 11-11-2014, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
Old 11-11-2014, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Feel free to post his pic and bio......I'm sorry for your loss.
Thanks, some days are more or less normal but for some reason this week has been a hard one. I have a card on the counter my parents sent that I still can't read more than a few words of. This is something that I thought would be easier over time but it doesn't seem to work that way.

Quote:
Aggie Silver Taps

KIRK M. JOHNSON '10
Date of passing: Monday, October 20, 2014

Kirk Michael Johnson
Date of Birth: Aug 6, 1983 | Date of Death: Oct 20, 2014 | Service Date: 10:00 A.M., Saturday, Oct 25, 2014.

Kirk Michael Johnson died unexpectedly on October 20, 2014 at 31 years of age. He was born on August 6, 1983. He was loved dearly and is survived by his parents, Charles and Linda Johnson; his brother and sister-in-law, Matt and Danielle Johnson; and his aunt Marsha Johnson. Kirk was a loyal employee of HEB Grocery, and aspired to move into store leadership and eventual corporate level human resource support. He was working his way up within HEB, recently serving as a principle trainer for new employees throughout Central Texas.

Kirk was always known as a “people person” and counselor to many. Even through his high school years, he would frequently be called upon for advice from his many friends. Kirk graduated from San Marcos High School in 2002. For all four years of high school he played trombone in the band under Johnny Martinez and was a member of the choir directed by Angus McCloud where he played many roles in high school musicals. He completed his baccalaureate degree from Texas State University in 2007, majoring in education. He taught 5thgrade for one year at Hernandez Elementary. His students loved him and he especially enjoyed their growth as young readers seeing in him his love for reading. He was thankful for the valuable help his mother provided as an experienced classroom teacher and math and science coach. He continued his education at Texas A&M University, completing his masters degree in adult education and human resource development in 2009.

Being always a teacher, he enjoyed his role as an adult educator HEB trainer and helping new employees become the best they possibly could be. Being focused on a career in business, he completed further education and passed the national professional certification exam as a Professional Human Resource Manager. His favorite professional book was written by H E Butt on Servant Leadership, which influenced his desire to work for a company like HEB. Continuing to value further education, he gained professional certification in Health Occupational and Safety regulations. Kirk was an avid reader and followed business trends and international strategic issues. He enjoyed debating both national and international issues with his father, but never backed down from his support for the common man. He would have been a strong advocate for the employee as a human resource manager.

Kirk was an Eagle Scout out of the San Marcos Troop 1954, where he developed many of his traits as a leader and devotion to service. He enjoyed his scouting years and the many opportunities for high adventure hiking and caving in Mexico. His more recent passion was following the exploits of his favorite football team – Texas A & M. He remained a loyal Aggie in both good and bad years.

Kirk will be missed by all of the many friends he made throughout his brief life time. His love will be valued and kept by many. Visitation will be at Pennington Funeral Home, 7 to 9 p.m., Friday, October 24. Kirk’s funeral will be at First Baptist Church at 10 a.m. Saturday, October 25. Reverend Mark Newton will officiate. The family has asked that donations be made in Kirk’s name to First Baptist Church in place of flowers.

Arrangements under the care and guidance of Pennington Funeral Home, 323 N. Comanche, San Marcos, Texas 78666, 512-353-4311. Obituary and guestbook online at Pennington Funeral Home - Since 1931, our family serving your family.
Old 11-12-2014, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe bob View Post
she had the right to die with dignity.....

vatican condemns brittany maynard's end-of-life decision
+1M... talking about dignity... Brave woman!!!
Old 11-12-2014, 07:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Steve, condolences to you and your family. Your brother & I shared the same birthday - though not the same year. Best to you all.
Old 11-12-2014, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage

LOS ANGELES (AP) — The actress best known for voicing the unseen Mrs. Wolowitz on "The Big Bang Theory" has died.

Carol Ann Susi's agent, Pam Ellis-Evenas, says the actress died Tuesday in Los Angeles after a brief battle with cancer . She was 62.

The veteran character actress has made numerous guest appearances on TV shows since the 1970s.

On the "The Big Bang Theory," she wasn't seen on camera as the mother of Simon Helberg's character, Howard, but her character's loud voice with a Brooklyn accent was instantly recognizable.

The executive producers of the CBS sitcom say Susi was a beloved member of the "Big Bang Theory" family, and they praised her "immense talent and comedic timing."

Susi is survived by her brother, Michael Susi, and his wife, Connie.
Old 11-12-2014, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: