Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Steve, condolences to you and your family. Your brother & I shared the same birthday - though not the same year. Best to you all.
Thanks. What's truly strange is that he and our grandmother were both born and died on the same calendar day.
Old 11-13-2014, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #81 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Another hero that stood up for the his beliefs.

LAGUNA HILLS, California (AP) — Jack Broughton, the decorated Air Force fighter pilot who flew more than 200 missions in Korea and Vietnam and later became an outspoken critic of the White House and military leaders, has died.

Went to school w/ his daughters...ALL of them SMOKIN' He was a cool dude!
05 Ferrari F-430
"If its worth doing...it's worth doing to excess"
Old 11-13-2014, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #82 (permalink)

Garage

Geez, another 57 year old.......

COVINGTON, Ga. (AP) — Former Oakland Athletics first baseman Kelvin Moore, who played parts of three major league seasons, has died. He was 57.

The A's confirmed Wednesday, with information provided by the family, that Moore died Sunday in Georgia of cardiac arrest. He had multiple illnesses in recent years, including diabetes.

Moore was a member of Oakland's 1981 AL West champion team.

A native of Leroy, Alabama, Moore was a sixth-round draft pick by the A's in 1978 out of Jackson State University. He made his rookie debut at age 23 in '81 and batted .255 in 14 games for manager Billy Martin.

Moore played 76 games over three seasons with the A's from 1981-83. He had a .223 career batting average with eight home runs and 25 RBIs.

The former baseball All-American at Leroy High School in Alabama is survived by his wife Patricia, daughters Chasity and Kim, and son Justin.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #83 (permalink)

Garage

EASLEY, S.C. (AP) — Alvin Dark, a player and manager on World Series champions who sparked perhaps the most famous rally in baseball history, died Thursday. He was 92.

The Robinson Funeral Home in Easley, South Carolina, said Dark died at his home.

Dark was the 1948 Rookie of the Year and a three-time All-Star shortstop. He played alongside Willie Mays when the New York Giants won the 1954 title, and he guided Reggie Jackson and the Oakland Athletics to the 1974 crown.

Dark's relationship with his Latin players proved a source of friction during his time as manager of the San Francisco Giants in the '60s. He was said to have asked them to refrain from speaking Spanish at the ballpark — among the Latin stars on those teams were future Hall of Famers Orlando Cepeda and Juan Marichal, plus Felipe Alou.

Cepeda told The Associated Press in a phone interview Thursday that he often saw Dark in later years and "every time he saw me he felt very sorry for what he did to the Latino players."

"He didn't know our background or where we came from. I said, 'Alvin, that's in the past now, that's in the past,'" Cepeda said. "I don't have grudges against nobody."

Cepeda said that as he got older, he could better appreciate the baseball advice that Dark imparted to his players.

"He was ahead of his time," Cepeda said. "He was a great baseball man. He made me play hard, because he said I had so much talent."

In 1951, Dark was team captain when the Giants trailed the Brooklyn Dodgers 4-1 in the bottom of the ninth inning in the deciding Game 3 of their NL pennant playoff.

Dark hit a leadoff single against Don Newcombe, and Bobby Thomson capped the comeback at the Polo Grounds with a home run that became known as "The Shot Heard 'Round the World" for a 5-4 win.

Dark was a star runner, passer and punter at LSU and served in the Marines during World War II before becoming a major leaguer.

He played briefly for the Boston Braves in 1946, then hit .322 in 1948 and won the rookie award when there was only one selection from both leagues. The Braves reached the World Series that year for the first time in three decades, but lost to Cleveland.

Traded to the Giants, he helped them reach the 1951 Series and hit .417 in their loss to Joe DiMaggio, Mickey Mantle and the Yankees.

In the 1954 World Series, highlighted by Mays' famed over-the-head catch, Dark hit .412 as the Giants swept Cleveland.

Dark played in the celebrated "Willie, Mickey and the Duke" era of New York baseball in the 1950s, when the Giants, Yankees and Dodgers ruled. Along with Mays, Mantle and Duke Snider in center field, the city had three quality shortstops — Dark, plus future Hall of Famers Pee Wee Reese of the Dodgers and Phil Rizzuto of the Yankees.

Dark hit .289 with 126 home runs in 14 seasons with the Braves, Giants, St. Louis, Chicago Cubs and Philadelphia.

In 1961, Dark began a managing career that spanned 13 seasons in which he went 994-954 with the Giants, Kansas City and Oakland A's, Cleveland and San Diego.

"Alvin was a true Giant and was a part of our rich history in the 1950s and 1960s," San Francisco CEO Larry Baer said in a statement.

Dark led the Giants to the 1962 pennant but lost the World Series in seven games to the Yankees. Dark took over the Athletics in 1974 and guided them to their third straight Series title that season.

He managed San Diego for the second half of the 1977 season, then was fired during spring training in 1978 after saying he wanted to make several big moves, including putting newcomer Ozzie Smith at shortstop.

Dark worked with minor leaguers in the Cubs and Chicago White Sox organizations and moved to South Carolina in the early 1980s.

"He was a true baseball man who will always hold a prominent place in our history, both in Kansas City and Oakland," the Athletics said in a statement.
Old 11-14-2014, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #84 (permalink)
závodník 'X'

Garage
Andrea de Cesaris -Oct. 5, 2014

Ex-F1 driver killed in bike crash - Motorcycle news : General news - Visordown

FORMER F1 driver Andrea de Cesaris died yesterday when he appears to have lost control of his bike and hit a guardrail in his home town, Rome.

The 55-year-old drove in Formula 1 from 1980 to 1994, totting up 208 races in total to become the most experienced F1 driver never to win a race, although he did manage to get two second positions in his best season, 1983, when he ended up 8th in the championship while driving for Alfa Romeo.

Despite a reputation for throwing cars off the track – when commentating for the BBC James Hunt used to refer to him as ‘de Crasharis’ – and rarely troubling the front-runners, the Italian managed to sustain an amazingly long F1 career, attracting drives at McLaren, Ligier, Jordan, Minardi, Brabham, Tyrell, Sauber and Dalara as well as Alfa Romeo.

Reports in Italy say he was riding a 600cc Suzuki and was dead at the scene of the accident.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 11-18-2014, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #85 (permalink)

Garage

I enjoyed his movies, even the ones with subtitles.

TOKYO (AP) — Ken Takakura, a craggy-faced, quiet star known for playing outlaws and stoic heroes in scores of Japanese films, has died of lymphoma. He was 83.

Perhaps best known abroad for his police inspector role in Ridley Scott's "Black Rain" in 1989, Takakura died Nov. 10 at a Tokyo hospital where he was treated for the illness, according to his office and media reports Tuesday.

He surged to stardom after his 1956 debut, becoming an icon in yakuza films such as "Abashiri Prison" in the 1960s. Much of his appeal to the Japanese public stemmed from his image as a hero fighting authority figures on behalf of the poor and weak.

But in a career spanning more than 200 films he sometimes played comic roles, such as his 1992 potrayal of a coach in "Mr. Baseball."

Likened to Clint Eastwood, Takakura starred in detective stories and dramas including the 1977 film "The Yellow Handkerchief" and 1999's "Railroad Man," which won him a best actor award at the Montreal World Film Festival.

The news of his death topped Japanese news programs almost nonstop, and major newspapers distributed extras in downtown Tokyo.

Unlike many Japanese celebrities, Takakura shunned the usual rounds of television variety shows and melodramas, maintaining a John Wayne-like aura of toughness.

Born in 1931 as Goichi Oda in Fukuoka, southern Japan, he was recruited by a major film production while he was applying for a managerial position.

Takakura's friends and admirers described him as humble, honest and reserved in his real life, too.

"He was the last big star (in Japan)," said Shintaro Ishihara, 82, an award-winning writer and politician. "And yet, Ken-san lived a really healthy, sound life, unlike many other stars who often end up paying the price later on."

Even though he played many outlaw roles in yakuza films, Takakura said today's gangster movies didn't interest him.

"I like movies that picture the human heart and linger with me," he told an interviewer of the Japan Subculture Research Center. "The Deer Hunter," ''Gladiator," and "The Godfather" were among his favorites, he said.

In the 2012 award-winning "Dearest," the last of Takakura's films, he plays a retired prison warden who goes on a soul-searching trip with a postcard that arrived after his wife's death.

According to a fax released by his office, Takakura was preparing for his next project while in the hospital.

In 2013, when Takakura attended a ceremony to receive Japan's highest cultural award, the Order of Culture, at the Imperial Palace, he joked that he had often played characters considered most distant from the exalted realm of the palace.

"In movies, I'm most often an ex-convict. I'm grateful for the award despite many of these roles I've played," Takakura said. "I really believe that hard work pays off."
Old 11-18-2014, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #86 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry, whose four terms were overshadowed by his 1990 arrest after being caught on videotape smoking crack cocaine, died Sunday morning. He was 78.

Barry D.C. council spokeswoman LaToya Foster says he died shortly after midnight Sunday at a hospital in Washington.

Despite his problems, Barry maintained a solid following, particularly in lower-income, primarily black sections of the city. He staged yet another political comeback in 2004, returning to the D.C. Council representing Ward 8. He was re-elected in 2008 and 2012.

Barry was active in the civil-rights movement and built a political career as a local activist in Washington. He was first elected mayor in 1978. Re-elected in 1982 and 1986, he was dubbed "Mayor for Life.".''
Old 11-23-2014, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #87 (permalink)

Quote:

WASHINGTON (AP) — Former District of Columbia Mayor Marion Barry, whose four terms were overshadowed by his 1990 arrest after being caught on videotape smoking crack cocaine, died Sunday morning. He was 78.

Barry D.C. council spokeswoman LaToya Foster says he died shortly after midnight Sunday at a hospital in Washington.

Despite his problems, Barry maintained a solid following, particularly in lower-income, primarily black sections of the city. He staged yet another political comeback in 2004, returning to the D.C. Council representing Ward 8. He was re-elected in 2008 and 2012.

Barry was active in the civil-rights movement and built a political career as a local activist in Washington. He was first elected mayor in 1978. Re-elected in 1982 and 1986, he was dubbed "Mayor for Life.".''
Sorry, not going to grieve for that crack head.

20+ year PCA member

Many Cool Porsches, Projects& Parts, Vintage BMX bikes too

http://www.bvdmotorsports.com
Active Rennlist Member.
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/
See blog for my For Sale & Wanted List.
http://www.914club.com/bbs2/index.php?automodule=blog&blogid=337&
Old 11-23-2014, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #88 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:

I enjoyed his movies, even the ones with subtitles.

TOKYO (AP) — Ken Takakura, a craggy-faced, quiet star known for playing outlaws and stoic heroes in scores of Japanese films, has died of lymphoma. He was 83.

Perhaps best known abroad for his police inspector role in Ridley Scott's "Black Rain" in 1989, Takakura died Nov. 10 at a Tokyo hospital where he was treated for the illness, according to his office and media reports Tuesday.

"You can't fix everything" ... From Black Rain.

Matsumoto Masahiro: "Perhaps you should think less of yourself and more of your group, try to work like in Japanese.
I grew up with your soldiers; you were wise then. Now - music and movies are all America is good for.
We make the machines, we build the future, we won the peace.

Nick Conklin: "And if there was ONE of you guys who had an original idea, you'd be so tight that you couldn't even pull it out of your ass!"
Old 11-23-2014, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #89 (permalink)

Garage
A true who gives a flying rat's ass moment....

Cast members from various seasons of MTV's "The Real World" spent Thanksgiving mourning the loss of Ryan Knight, a "Real World: New Orleans" star who was found dead on Thursday at a friend's home.

"Lost my friend and my roommate today," Knight's 2010 "Real World" co-star Ashlee Feldman tweeted on Thursday. "My heart aches and Thanksgiving will never be the same. I'll miss you Ryan."

After joining the long-running reality franchise, Knight appeared on a number of MTV's "Challenge" seasons, including "The Challenge: Rivals II," "The Challenge: Battle of the Exes II" and "The Challenge: Battle of the Seasons."

MTV has not yet returned TheWrap's request for comment.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #90 (permalink)

Garage

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Roberto Gomez Bolanos, the iconic Mexican comedian who wrote and played the boy television character "El Chavo del Ocho" that defined a generation for millions of Latin American children, died Friday at age 85.

Known as "Chespirito" (chess-pee-REE-to), he changed comedy in Latin America, taking his inspiration from Laurel and Hardy as well as Mexico's other transcendent comedian who eventually made it to Hollywood, Cantinflas.

His two most famous characters were "El Chavo del Ocho," who lived in the homes of Latin America and beyond with his barrel, freckles, striped shirt and frayed cap, and the naive superhero "El Chapulin Colorado," or "The Crimson Grasshopper." His morning show was a staple for preschoolers, much like "Captain Kangaroo" in the United States.

His employer, the Televisa television network, which is the world's largest producer of Spanish-language programs, did not give the cause of death. It said his body would be flown from his home in Cancun to Mexico City on Saturday for a private funeral Mass at the network's headquarters, and a public tribute was planned for Sunday at Azteca stadium.

He warmed the hearts of millions with a clean comedy style far removed from the sexual innuendo and obscenity-laced jokes popular today. In a career that started in the 1950s, he wrote hundreds of television episodes, 20 films and theater productions that drew record-breaking audiences.

His prolific output earned him the nickname "Chespirito." It came from the Spanish phonetic pronunciation of Shakespeare — "Chespir" — combined with "ito," a diminutive commonly used in Mexico that seemed natural for Gomez Bolanos because of his short stature.

"Nicknames are the most essential in life, more valuable than names," the actor said in 2011.

On Friday, Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto tweeted, "Mexico has lost an icon whose work has transcended generations and borders."

Born Feb. 21, 1929, he trained as an engineer, but he was dedicated to writing from a young age.

Talented both on the screen and behind it, he achieved smashing success in 1970 with the creation of "Chespirito," a television show that included segments about "The Crimson Grasshopper."

The goofy superhero dressed in a red bodysuit and hood with antennae that helped him detect danger miles away. He completed the outfit with yellow shorts and boots, giving him the look of a red bumblebee. The character, whose superpowers included shrinking to the size of a pill and dodging enemies, constantly repeated his signature phrases, "You didn't count on my cleverness" and "All the good people, follow me."

In 1971, Gomez Bolanos wrote and acted as "El Chavo del Ocho" ("The Boy from the Eight"), a reference to the channel that broadcast the show.

"El Chavo" proved so popular that reruns are still shown in multiple countries in Latin American and on Spanish language television in the United States. Many Latin Americans, living under dictatorships during the height of the show, found his underdog triumphs heroic in the face of authority.

In a 2005 interview with the Mexican newspaper La Jornada, Gomez Bolano said he always wrote with working class people in mind.

"There are writers who pour out words, concepts that sound really important but that basically say nothing," he said. "I always tried to be as concise as possible, all to try and reach everyone, but especially the simple people, those who needed to be reached more than anyone else."

He also delved successfully in theater for adults. In 1992 he produced, directed and acted in "11 and 12," the story of a man who loses his genitals in an accident and wants to impregnate his wife. The play set a record in Mexico, surpassing 3,200 performances.

Proof of his wide popularity came when he opened a Twitter account in 2011 with a simple message: "Hello. I'm Chespirito. I'm 82-years-old and this is the first time I tweet. This is my debut. All the good people, follow me!"

In less than two months, he had 1 million followers. By the time of his death, there were 6.6 million.

Gomez Bolanos is survived by his second wife, actress Florinda Meza, as well as six children from his first marriage and 12 grandchildren.

Old 11-29-2014, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #91 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

BBC News - Ian McLagan, Faces keyboardist, dies aged 69

"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 12-04-2014, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #92 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Local surfer

WASHINGTON (AP) — A woman who won a landmark 1961 Supreme Court case involving police searches and seizures has died.

When police wanted to search Dollree Mapp's Ohio home in 1957, she told them to come back with a warrant. Her case ultimately prompted the nation's high court to rule that evidence obtained by illegal searches and seizures could not be used in state court.

The case, Mapp v. Ohio, is a staple of law school textbooks and considered a milestone case on the Fourth Amendment, which requires law enforcement officers to get a warrant before conducting a search.

Mapp died Oct. 31 in Conyers, Georgia. A relative and caretaker, Carolyn Mapp, confirmed her death Wednesday and said she died on the day after her birthday at the age of 91.

Comment: we always had this right as it was in the Bill of Rights. It took a Supreme court decision and a feisty woman to affirm it.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #93 (permalink)
Local surfer

NEW YORK (AP) — Ken Weatherwax, who played the child character Pugsley on "The Addams Family" television series in the 1960s, has died. He was 59.

Weatherwax died of a heart attack at his Box Canyon, California, home over the weekend, said Joey D. Vieira, his half brother. Weatherwax's body was found on Sunday.

Pugsley, the son of Gomez and Morticia, was a member of the family of macabre oddballs in the television series, which aired on ABC from 1964 to 1966 with its familiar, finger-snapping theme song.

He stayed in show business after he grew up, although on the other side of the camera. Weatherwax worked as a grip on the sets of several Hollywood productions, said Vieira, a former actor himself who played the character Porky in the original "Lassie" series.

Weatherwax retired a few years ago for medical reasons, Vieira said.
Old 12-12-2014, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #94 (permalink)
Local surfer

Roger passed this morning.

https://www.facebook.com/search/str/roger%20grago/keywords_top
Old 12-21-2014, 09:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #95 (permalink)
Local surfer

Old 12-21-2014, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #96 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by patz View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — A woman who won a landmark 1961 Supreme Court case involving police searches and seizures has died.

When police wanted to search Dollree Mapp's Ohio home in 1957, she told them to come back with a warrant. Her case ultimately prompted the nation's high court to rule that evidence obtained by illegal searches and seizures could not be used in state court.

The case, Mapp v. Ohio, is a staple of law school textbooks and considered a milestone case on the Fourth Amendment, which requires law enforcement officers to get a warrant before conducting a search.

Mapp died Oct. 31 in Conyers, Georgia. A relative and caretaker, Carolyn Mapp, confirmed her death Wednesday and said she died on the day after her birthday at the age of 91.

Comment: we always had this right as it was in the Bill of Rights. It took a Supreme court decision and a feisty woman to affirm it.
Unfortunately, the ultra-conservative activist Supreme Court we have now just ruled that evidence from illegal searches is admissible. The Constitution is being killed one clause/amendment at a time.
2016 Chevy Volt parts fetcher- now at 444 MPG
Old 12-21-2014, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #97 (permalink)
Local surfer

2014 significant deaths of 2014 per MSN. Don't shoot the messenger.

Famous people we lost in 2014
Old 12-30-2014, 05:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #98 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Hugh Hefner passed on Sunday
Uh, no.
Old 12-30-2014, 09:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #99 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by techweenie View Post
Uh, no.
nope, cialis saved him
2010 Toyota Prius Black for sale
2016 BMW 328D wagon
Old 12-30-2014, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #100 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: