Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 911 Production Cab #10

Garage
Common Sense

From http://www.loriborgman.com/1998/03/15/the-death-of-common-sense/

I am mourning the passing of an old friend by the name of Common Sense.

His obituary reads as follows: Common Sense, aka C.S., lived a long life, but died from heart failure at the brink of the millennium. No one really knows how old he was, his birth records were long ago entangled in miles and miles of bureaucratic red tape. Known affectionately to close friends as Horse Sense and Sound Thinking, he selflessly devoted himself to a life of service in homes, schools, hospitals and offices, helping folks get jobs done without a lot of fanfare, whooping and hollering.

Rules and regulations and petty, frivolous lawsuits held no power over C.S. A most reliable sage, he was credited with cultivating the ability to know when to come in out of the rain, the discovery that the early bird gets the worm and how to take the bitter with the sweet.

C.S. also developed sound financial policies (don’t spend more than you earn), reliable parenting strategies (the adult is in charge, not the kid) and prudent dietary plans (offset eggs and bacon with a little fiber and orange juice).

A veteran of the Industrial Revolution, the Great Depression, the Technological Revolution and the Smoking Crusades, C.S. survived sundry cultural and educational trends including disco, the men’s movement, body piercing, whole language and new math. C.S.’s health began declining in the late 1960s when he became infected with the If-It-Feels-Good, Do-It virus.

In the following decades, his waning strength proved no match for the ravages of overbearing federal and state rules and regulations and an oppressive tax code. C.S. was sapped of strength and the will to live as the Ten Commandments became contraband, criminals received better treatment than victims and judges stuck their noses in everything from Boy Scouts to professional baseball and golf.

His deterioration accelerated as schools implemented zero-tolerance policies. Reports of 6-year-old boys charged with sexual harassment for kissing classmates, a teen suspended for taking a swig of Scope mouthwash after lunch, girls suspended for possessing Midol and an honor student expelled for having a table knife in her school lunch were more than his heart could endure.

As the end neared, doctors say C.S. drifted in and out of logic but was kept informed of developments regarding regulations on low-flow toilets and mandatory air bags. Finally, upon hearing about a government plan to ban inhalers from 14 million asthmatics due to a trace of a pollutant that may be harmful to the environment, C.S. breathed his last.

Services will be at Whispering Pines Cemetery. C.S. was preceded in death by his wife, Discretion; one daughter, Responsibility; and one son, Reason. He is survived by two step-brothers, Half-Wit and Dim-Wit.

Memorial Contributions may be sent to the Institute for Rational Thought. Farewell, Common Sense. May you rest in peace.

83 911 Production Cab #10, Slightly Modified: Slanted, 3.2, PMO EFI, TECgt, CE 911 CAM Sync / Pulley / Wires, SSI, Dansk Sport 2/2, 17" Euromeister, CKO GT3 Seats, Going SOK Super Charger
Old 10-16-2017, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1001 (permalink)

A sad day for me. Grew up with this band.

Tragically Hip's Gord Downie dead at 53

All time favorite of mine.

Old 10-18-2017, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1002 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

^^^Oh man, that's terrible news I think I'll get drunk and spin my 'Hip albums tonight
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-18-2017, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1003 (permalink)
Ubi bene ibi patria

Garage
Fans of the Hip knew this day was coming but it is still sad when it happens.

RIP Gord
Old 10-18-2017, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1004 (permalink)

Garage
Fats Domino, the New Orleans rhythm-and-blues singer whose two-fisted boogie-woogie piano and nonchalant vocals, heard on dozens of hits, made him one of the biggest stars of the early rock íní roll era, died on Tuesday at his home in Harvey, La., across the Mississippi River from New Orleans. He was 89.

Old 10-27-2017, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1005 (permalink)

RIP .. such a cool dude. I've been singing Fats' songs to myself the last couple days .. (yeah, I'm an old fart)
Old 10-27-2017, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1006 (permalink)

Garage
John Hillerman aka Higgins. Zeus.....Apollo. !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-10-2017, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1007 (permalink)

Garage
Thomas Hudner Jr., a former U.S. Navy captain and pilot who was awarded the Medal of Honor for his heroics during the Korean War, has died at age 93.

Old 11-13-2017, 11:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1008 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."

No idea who this poor soul is (was), but seemed like an appropriate thread to post it:
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/16/obituaries/lil-peep-dead.html
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 11-16-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-16-2017, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1009 (permalink)

Garage
A true role model.....

Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1010 (permalink)

Garage
Someone translate this for me, "...blending the urgency and dexterity of contemporary hip-hop with the raw, serrated sentimentality of emo,..."

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 11-16-2017, 10:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1011 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: