Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Information Overloader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
I hope it's not aging of the brain, because I've had speech discrimination problems since I was in my 40s. When I'm watching TV in a quiet room people ask me to turn it up. I can hear it just fine at low volumes. But add someone in the background having a conversation and I may as well turn it off. All the voices sound the same volume and it's hard to tell what direction the individual voice are coming from.
Acoustic neuroma (AN), which is a tumor on the acoustic nerve(s), is usually the first culprit of impaired speech discrimination after age-related sensorineural hearing loss (presbyotia) or acoustic insult (noise-induced hearing loss) are ruled out. AN scrambles the signal going into the brain. Rarely progressive (as in metastatic) but does grow making speech discrimination worse over time. An MRI can rule out AN.

Old 04-28-2015, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Also, to confound the discussion even more, some people have difficulty with speech that is entirely separate from anything to do with audiology. If the architecture of the temporal lobes is haywire, ambiguous in some way, maybe a congenital malformation, hypoxia at birth, cerebral vascular accident (CVA, i.e., stroke) or even localized traumatic brain injury, can also prevent the development of and even whack out already acquired language skills.

My attitude is that since I've already heard everything of any value anybody has to say, it's no big deal.

Innate verbal intelligence can overcome some speech/language-related impairments, which ain't something I've been blessed with-according to some who dare tolerate my meaningless drivel.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: