Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1977 Targa ROW

Opinion on a 2001 Volvo S60T

A 2001 Volvo S60T, 150,000 on it. Looks clean enough - should run a Carfax. Thinking its not worth more than $2500. Ideas?

I'm not your Rumpelstiltskin, spin your own Gold.
"Ya can't be Pablo if ya work ain't selln'..."
Old 05-03-2015, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

If that has the 5 cylinder turbo like my xc70, pull the oil cap while it is running and check for vacuum into the engine. Put a rubber glove over it and see if it gets sucked in or blows up. The PCV systems on this car can get clogged, giving the engine crankcase positive pressure and blowing out the seals- including rear main seal.

If it is clogged and no seals are blown, you can get the parts for about $300 and about 5 hours labor and do it yourself and use this as a bargaining chip.

If you see oil... run.
The turbo will leak oil off the base sometimes and that is normal.

Hmmmm...That's all I really know about these engines.- oh yeah, the timing belt should have been replaced at about 100,000. make sure it was done. Bonus points if h20 pump done at same time.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Also check the transmission oil to see how clean it is.
Alot of volvo's had the "lifetime" suggestion of never changing the oil during 100,000 miles- BS.... and if the oil hasn't been changed in 150,000, it might need the dirty oil to make the transmission work. If you change it, make sure to save the old oil so if the transmission doesnt work, you can put the dirty oil back in.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Also, my struts are about shot at 150,000. See how it drives at highway speeds in crosswinds if possible.
Old 05-03-2015, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Fast Acting, Long Lasting

Haldex system is fragile, if it's equipped with AWD.

Electronic throttle module will fail at some point. It is not plug-and-play, and will require programming upon replacement. Some online parts places will program it for you if you furnish the VIN.

Same with ABS controller, however, I don't know if that can be flashed while out of the car it's going into. The problem is usually a pump motor relay failure, which is hard-wired to the EBCM circuit board.

Leakyseal is absolutely correct on the leaky seals caused by a clogged breather system. This can cause oil consumption also. Replacing the breather canister, and plumbing could be considered a maintenance item because it seems to happen to almost all of the 5 cylinder turbos since the 850's.

I think the auto trans was based heavily on the GM 4T60E, if not an outright GM part through and through. They were fairly durable. 5 speeds were too.

Sun visor detents are sometimes weak, and won't stay up against the headliner when not in use. I don't know if that's a common problem, but I have a client who's tired of her's falling down all the time. She worked around the replacement of it with a tab of Velcro.

I think they're ok cars, but I wouldn't expect another 50k miles out of it without coming close to the purchase price in (retail) repairs. DIY on them ain't too terrible, except for the possible electronic module replacements.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

I was thinking it for my Son. The owner says New Front Oil Seals (Both Cams and the Crank) -- New Rear Cam Seals -- New Firetrap.

He was the second owner, first was a friend who leased it. Said Timing belt done at 100K, brakes done, needs tires, looking a little worn IMO, Didn't see any leaks, ran solid enough.

Would run a Carfax but never did it. I do have the VIN
Old 05-03-2015, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

weekend wOrrier

A lack of AWD would be nice.
Volvo AWD can fail at:
The connecting sleeve between the trans and the bevel gear.
The bevel gear
The prop shaft
The haldex computer DEM
The haldex oil pump
The haldex oil filter
The haldex oil pressure sender
Then haldex Throttle body.

(well... these are what I have replaced)

Infact, I bet a good number of AWD volvos are only operating currently as front wheel drive only.
I would buy a $150 diagnostic reader and hook it up before buying it.

For computer stuff, research XEMODEX as your circuit board rebuilding gurus.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Thread Killer

It's a bad idea, basically. If the transmission hasn't been replaced, it's about to be.
Old 05-03-2015, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
1977 Targa ROW

Hmmm...I don't like the sounds of that! I thought Toyota did those trannys? Not that it would be a badge of quality...
Old 05-03-2015, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I remember Toyota did Jeep Cherokee transmissions in the 80's and 90's. I think they're Aisin Warners in the S60. If you want to get a Volvo cheap, I'd suggest sticking with a well-maintained 240 or 850 and spending closer to $4-5K on the car.
Old 05-03-2015, 06:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Carlton View Post
I remember Toyota did Jeep Cherokee transmissions in the 80's and 90's. I think they're Aisin Warners in the S60. If you want to get a Volvo cheap, I'd suggest sticking with a well-maintained 240 or 850 and spending closer to $4-5K on the car.
In the Wrangler too, bolted to the inline six cylinder. I owned a 93 that went through three AX-15 transmissions, same failure sadly each time, 5th gear snap ring falls off and causes all manner of other issues.

If you're lucky you can just replace the snap ring and things are fine. If you're unlucky it gets lose and punches a hole in the side of the transmission and wells out the 5th gear hub.

The S60 uses the Aisin AW55-50 which has all sorts of it's own demons. The common "solenoid" failure for instance. I was lucky to be able to do this fix on a low mileage S60 and it worked. The second time I tried it on the mother-in-laws car there was just too much metal floating around and the valve body was damaged.

Junked the car after that, $3500 for a rebuilt just wasn't worth it.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 05-03-2015, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M.D. Holloway View Post
Hmmm...I don't like the sounds of that! I thought Toyota did those trannys? Not that it would be a badge of quality...
Close - they used the same supplier, Aisin-Warner, for RWD models and the 850 at least. They're generally good transmissions, but for a while at least Volvo used a radiator that doubled as a transmission cooler that had plastic fittings on the sides. The radiator eventually cracks, coolant pressure is higher than transmission fluid pressure and you know the rest of the story. I'm in the middle of a transmission swap on our '92 960 that probably had this problem once upon a time ago. Replacement transmissions are readily available online at a low cost. I spent $125 locally for one, with warranty.

The good news is that at least with the RWD ones they tend to be really easy to work on. You can see the part/hardware you need to get at and don't have to remove a dozen other things to put a wrench on it. Parts are generally cheap online. We never had corrosion or stuck bolt issues but ours is a WA car.

I'd absolutely recommend one, a 2xx/7xx/9xx or 850 at least.

Last edited by Scuba Steve; 05-04-2015 at 03:45 AM..
Old 05-04-2015, 03:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
The best Volvos in my mind for reasonable maintenance are the 740s with manual transmission. The simpler, the easier and cheaper.
Old 05-04-2015, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

My parents had a 1999 S60 that they bought new.

The S60 required approximately $25,000 in warranty work in 4 years including a new transmission and a front suspension rebuild. YMMV.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Those turbos get the oil line coked up.....PITA to replace.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Firetrap (usually called flame-trap) on these is the crank vent system. Definitely a plus that it's been done. If you pull the dipstick when the engine is running and you get a positive air pressure with a vaporous smoke - then it NEEDS to be done (is overdue). A lot of people skip doing this because they are a bit of a PITA. You have to remove the intake manifold which is more than the average DIYer is up for. So it is something to look for in the maintenance records.

These are strong engines. As mentioned above, stay away from the awd unless you have good maintenance records on the haldex system, etc. The FWD transmission is usually pretty solid if serviced regularly. That means ignore the 100K recommended and do it at say 50 or 60K like a 'normal' car. **edit***Steve Carlton says hell no - these are no bueno**

One thing to always watch out for on these types of cars is delayed maintenance. Because they run well, some people skip out on the maintenance and it will keep running until something very expensive spits the bit.

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.

Last edited by Laneco; 05-04-2015 at 12:28 PM..
Old 05-04-2015, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneco View Post
The FWD transmission is usually pretty solid if serviced regularly. That means ignore the 100K recommended and do it at say 50 or 60K like a 'normal' car.
Sorry, Angela, but the S60 transmission in 2001-2002 is almost guaranteed to fail within 10 years/100,000 miles +/-, depending on how much city/highway miles.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

how timely..
the local stealer quoted my Lady..
1400.00 for the flame trap dance..
140K plus..on a S40...
there is a relocation kit avail. to help the next fool..

Rika

Old 05-04-2015, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: