Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Got into a yelling match with my next door neighbor last afternoon

Tell me I am wrong here please. My wife is piss at me for acting out in the middle of the street.

I live in a narrow canyon road almost near the top of the hill. Turnaround in someone's driveway is out of the question due to the lack of room. This neighbor (let call him John) and his wife rents a lower floor of a house next to me) gets crap form all the neighbor with notes on their cars because they leave it parked for a week(s) in front of someone's house. I own both houses that sandwiches his. I live in one of them and are going through a full renovation on the other. This has been going on and off for almost 8 months, but we are quiet (dont start until 9) and our stuff is not all over the street or in anyone's properties because I have to make sure I don't piss off the neighbors and need to keep things clean and tidy.

I had the concrete truck, pumper, and 6 guys there this morning (9:45)and his car happens to be sticking out onto the street, others can barely get on by . UPS and a city truck sat there waiting and there was no way they can go through. Backing up would take another 10+ minute around lots of curves to the bottom so they can go around. The upstairs neighbors called and text John with no answer for 15 minutes. I decided to go and knock on their door so he can move his car. He did but was not happy. MIL and wife was there but it took them about 5 min to open the door.

Late afternoon, about 5, he's now awake and walks over to me as my workman and I were planning for tomorrow. He said I scare the hell out of his MIL and his pregnant wife that's due any minute. His demand was that I call and never to knock on their door. He got pissed and raised his voice. I bit my tongue and am not the type of person that lose my cool easily. He said "I want you to apologist to my wife and MIL right now and don't ever get near my house." " Right this moment". I fooking lost it. So we are now yelling at each other in the middle of a normally very quiet street. Now he takes his phone and starts to film me yelling and tells me I am a inconsiderate jerk so he will post it on the net (I really care what he does with it on the net). I am even more piss at this point. My kids are watching out the window. He now starts to knock on my door to tell my wife to come out and see if what I did was wrong and that she's a woman and would understand. Fook me, she comes out and says she understand.

Is this what young folks do now (I have 10-12 years on him?), don't answer the phone and expect to be contacted through an electronic device and respond when they feel the time is right regardless if they are keeping the world from turning ? WTF is up with putting the argument on social media?

Tell me if I am wrong here. Emotion might have gotten the better part of me but what is so hard about moving your car so people can go to work? The knocking on the door thing really piss me off to no freaking end. Thank goodness they are moving out by the end of the year.

Sorry guys, I had to blow off some steam.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Gallatin, Tennessee

That is why you keep a couple of good floor jacks around. ;-)

I have a A-hole two doors down and I asked him to move his car because over the weekend I was going to go camping and I need to get my trailer out from my side yard. Dude was a ***** and did not move his car. One simple phone call the PD and they scratched him a ticket. Now he parks his cars in front of his house.

I try to be a good neighbor but sometimes they push that button.

Dave
Old 09-09-2015, 11:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
yep, im slow in the head

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to carslutt
guy sounds like a tool.... hopefully he wont be renting there much longer. i live in a neighborhood that's 1 road in/out. more than a few times each summer a few neighbors have lovely exchanges.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll have to think about this...read it again, but this...
" Fook me, she comes out and says she understand."
...would upset me.
I like to think that my wife, g/f, SO, etc. would at least have my back...right or wrong.
Minimally, I would prefer that they would say nothing.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 09-09-2015, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by carslutt View Post
guy sounds like a tool.... hopefully he wont be renting there much longer. i live in a neighborhood that's 1 road in/out. more than a few times each summer a few neighbors have lovely exchanges.
I like to think the stress of having a baby on its way very soon and dealing with the wife and his MIL living there for the past month has to drive him insane. All through dinner until now, I have been thinking, I shouldn't have to deal with this? Its not my wife, kid and life, so WTF? I have two kids, a crazy wife like everyone, and I don't go yelling at my neighbors.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Did you tell him to get off your lawn?

What happened to the good ole days where people bare nuckled it out in the front yard, instead of trying to snitch you out to your wife.... WTF

That's a red flag if she didn't stand up for you. She's not a keeper...

IRR... What IRR!

Last edited by Arizona_928; 09-09-2015 at 11:41 PM..
Old 09-09-2015, 11:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
You did nothing wrong by knocking on his door. His applogy BS puts him in the "He must be an arse" category.

Don't be hard on your wife. Women tend to appease when confronted.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
My town has an ordinance that a car must parked on the street must be moved every three days. Got anything like that? Start calling it in. I got into it with a neighbor down the street a bit ago because one of my kids let my dog out of the yard and she proceeded to run over to his and take a dump on it. He yelled at my kids, my dog and my wife.

After I got my dog back to the house I went back and informed him he would not be yelling at my family again and then I picked up the dump which I wish I had left behind and smooshed and then wiped on his nice perfect concrete.

His lawn is so green...all of his neighbors take turns reporting him to the water authority.

Oooo Halloween is coming...

I heart Boobies
Old 09-09-2015, 11:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikester View Post
My town has an ordinance that a car must parked on the street must be moved every three days. Got anything like that? Start calling it in. I got into it with a neighbor down the street a bit ago because one of my kids let my dog out of the yard and she proceeded to run over to his and take a dump on it. He yelled at my kids, my dog and my wife.

After I got my dog back to the house I went back and informed him he would not be yelling at my family again and then I picked up the dump which I wish I had left behind and smooshed and then wiped on his nice perfect concrete.

His lawn is so green...all of his neighbors take turns reporting him to the water authority.

Oooo Halloween is coming...
Yes, Mike. 72 hours. Its not so much how long he parks his car in front of someone's house, but the stupid unreasonable things like knocking on the door and refuse to move his car to allow neighbor to get down or up the hill.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
You did nothing wrong by knocking on his door. His applogy BS puts him in the "He must be an arse" category.

I really wanted her to tell the bastard to get the F off our doors step and go home but she's got the cooler head then me today, a rare occasion, I like to think
Old 09-10-2015, 12:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
There's nothing worse than a bad neighbour.

Mine's a personal trainer and he runs exercise sessions in his garage... Most mornings I wake up to the sound of young women grunting and moaning. Not so bad
Old 09-10-2015, 12:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via AIM to petrolhead611
You live in LA so it must be easy to find a voice coach.Learn to project your voice so that next time you can yell at him without even leaving your front yard( all the foregoing in green)
Vindicator Vulcan V8 spyder, street legal sports racing car
(300hp,1400 lbs kerb weight) used for sprints on circuits, and hillclimbs
Old 09-10-2015, 03:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If there's a law of some sort about how his vehicle is parked, next time don't even give him the time of day to speak face to face. Just call the police and let them take care of it. Too bad how it turned out this time. if it went down the way you described, he was out of line to demand you to apologize "right now".
Old 09-10-2015, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
I would:
- stop yelling as soon as he started filming.
- be pissed at the wife for a while.

Your neighbour is a grade A azzwipe.
Why are they scared when someone knocks on the door?
Is he hiding from something?
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 09-10-2015, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
The car needed to be moved. Knocking on the door of the owner and asking him to move it is perfectly reasonable. All you did wrong was engage the idiot when he came out to talk. Unfortunately, you did engage him. It's hard to resist, I know.
To me the worst part of this whole thing is your wife publicly siding with him. If she thought you were wrong she could have had a private conversation with you later. Does she have any idea how much worse she made this?
I feel sorry for you man. I can see myself exactly in your shoes (except my wife would not betray me like that).
I'm going to start a thread about my own similar situation. It turned out better.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Home of the Whopper

Garage
Usually only bad can come from yelling in public.
Wife needs to figure out the family first rule.
Thanks for the story.
Reminded me how much I love living in the sticks.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

this and this. I can't imagine my wife not having my back though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
The car needed to be moved. Knocking on the door of the owner and asking him to move it is perfectly reasonable. All you did wrong was engage the idiot when he came out to talk. Unfortunately, you did engage him. It's hard to resist, I know.
To me the worst part of this whole thing is your wife publicly siding with him. If she thought you were wrong she could have had a private conversation with you later. Does she have any idea how much worse she made this?
I feel sorry for you man. I can see myself exactly in your shoes (except my wife would not betray me like that).
I'm going to start a thread about my own similar situation. It turned out better.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bri450sl View Post
If there's a law of some sort about how his vehicle is parked, next time don't even give him the time of day to speak face to face. Just call the police and let them take care of it. Too bad how it turned out this time. if it went down the way you described, he was out of line to demand you to apologize "right now".
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Some great wisdom here. Best to call police to avoid the altercation. It begs the question why was his car sticking out to impede traffic? Was there still room in front of his car to move up to let vehicles pass behind? If the latter then he is an unthinking bozo.

As mentioned by others wives may not always back you up. My wife will sometimes say I did the wrong thing but usually not in front of others. As mentioned above she was just trying to keep the peace.

I find some renters and new owners can be totally unreasonable. It is not so much the message but how you say it. No point in putting blood pressure up by getting into an argument.

Overall you were right to contact him but a phone call to him right away would be more subtle than knocking on his door.

Whoever said life was easy!
Guy

Last edited by recycled sixtie; 09-10-2015 at 05:29 AM..
Old 09-10-2015, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Man you guys our west are weird! First off here in NY if the guy got close enough to my front door to knock on it after yelling at me in the street, he would have been crawling to it! How do you know he was not on his way to do harm to your family, or home? Second no one gives a $hit about where your car is parked where I live, how much noise you make, or anything else you call the cops with out there. And if you did call the cops, they would be here in maybe an hour or two after everything is over with. I guess its nice living in the country where everyone has at least 5 acres or more and not living right on top of each other!
73'& 80' Mercedes Unimog DoKa
59' Austin Healey 100-6
Old 09-10-2015, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Dog-faced pony soldier

Garage
Sorry your wife backstabbed you. She should have either stuck up for you or stayed out of it. I say next time tow his schyte and be done with it.

One of many reasons I don't miss CA or urban living at all. My neighbors are trees, bushes and an occasional wild turkey or critter (rabbits, hedgehogs, foxes, etc.). I like a lot about not living butted up against other people. Actually come to think about it I like everything about it.

Call it in and have it towed next time. No warning. Also check with the FD about access requirements - if they can't get apparatus up there it could be a way to get the street parking situation changed or eliminated.

Good luck. I hope he moves out soon.

Last edited by Porsche-O-Phile; 09-10-2015 at 06:22 AM..
Old 09-10-2015, 05:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: