Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I had one of the MJ pickups.
I had some initial quality problems that were pretty annoying. After getting those worked out, it turned out to be a solid little workhorse.
I wish I had bought the automatic as the manual was a little weak for the job. The 4 L inline 6 was a reliable performer. Not too speedy but did the job. On the highway if you kept your foot out of it, it had decent fuel economy.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 01-27-2016, 01:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Yeah the uni-body is the only weakness on the xj. I have a good friend who boxed his whole frame rails, but that's scratching the surface on the amount of mods he has done.
If you get one. Don't lift it past a few inches. You will lose a lot of drive-ability. I have done long arm, short arm lifts, ford 8.8 rear end conversions, WJ steering upgrades. All sold, but when I do get another clean one. I'm keeping it stock, and adding electric lockers. It will keep you from being stupid, and breaking stuff. As that guy ^^ XJ's are not a good starting point for a rock crawler, but that's getting OT. The only down side is they're as aerodynamic as a brick going 80 mph.
Pros:
They are stupid easy to work on, parts are cheaper then heck. The timing chains last the entire life of the engine, so major service is rare. If you find a country model the interiors are quite nice. You can tow with them.

Just my 0.02$ though

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 01-27-2016, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

From a recent wheeling trip.

Didn't see any land rovers. Must've all been at the shop.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 01-27-2016, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
When I was looking I really wanted the 2000 or 2001 because they also have a different exhaust giving them "5" more HP but at least the 99 had the newer type auto trans. I was only looking for the two door also. There are hundreds of four doors out there.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 01-27-2016, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
The V-6 was a terrible engine.

Not a Jeep motor. It was that awful GM V-6.

Was mercifully discontinued after a couple years, even by GM.

sorry but no the GM 2.8 60 deg v6 lived a long time in bigger versions
3.1 3.4 3.5TC 3.5 and 3.9 are all the same motor/block last 3 have alloy heads

yes they sucked in 85 as did every thing else then
Old 01-27-2016, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
1996, 4.0 4wd
i bought it new and sold it for $3000 with 180,000 miles
normal maintenance, a radiator and starter was all it needed.
79 Jeep Cherokee Chief
Old 01-27-2016, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Non Compos Mentis

I had a '91 Cherokee with the HO 4.0 liter for several years. Mostly used as a pavement pounder, with the occasional trip into the snowy forest service roads. Very rarely used for serious off-roading, but even then, it performed flawlessly.

After over 200,000 miles, some friends asked if they could buy it from me. Did no more than a new valve cover gasket to stop an oil drip and fresh tires before selling to them. Outside of scheduled maintenance, the Cherokee required no other repairs.

Very comfortable seats- Once drove it 2400 miles in three days, and when I got home, could have started the same trip all over again.

If you find a good one, highly recommended. Most have been pounded on and beat to snot by now. -But that 4.0 straight six keeps going.........
Old 01-27-2016, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Definitely Yes...good luck finding a good one.
Go here - - THE best place >>>
NAXJA Forums -::- North American XJ Association - Powered by vBulletin
My '92 Jeep XJ, 5 spd, FI 4L HO 6cyl. got 26 mpg on a 700 mi. trip from SF Bay Area to Portland, OR. @ 60 - 75 mph...winter of '08.
City mileage was ~ 18 - 22 (mood specific).
Excellent oil pressure at all times. I would have run that rig another 100k miles, for sure. It was sweet & flawless.
They like to run hot, so don't fret. I replaced plastic radiator w/aluminum...same capacity.
Replaced clutch, CPS, harmonic balancer, water pump, belts...just to make it totally safe 'n sound.
Second owner...mint...sold it w/144k...like a dumb ass. I regret that daily (long story).
I have a few new spare parts stored: Mopar CPS, the tricky wrench/extension/swivel set-up to get at the CPS, I think a new water pump, maybe a new harmonic balancer, oil filters..belt tensioner tool, maybe more...I'll have to look.
PM me if you are interested in some parts.
~~~~~~~
At home in Menlo Park, CA - '08.

~~~~~~
Portland, OR...Christmas '08

- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 01-27-2016, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
durn for'ner

I had a Grand Cherokee V8 1996 model for several years. My only complaint was the horrendously lousy mileage. Ridiculous. Otherwise I still miss it. Loved the torque of that Engine and the sound of an American V8 still beats Everything in my book.

Carrera '85
Old 01-27-2016, 11:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
I saw a few two doors when I was looking, everything in your area had some rust. This was originally from Texas. It is the six, I didn't even look at a four.
Is yours a 5 speed? I know a lot of 2 Doors got the manual for some reason.
Old 01-28-2016, 04:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPizzle View Post
Is yours a 5 speed? I know a lot of 2 Doors got the manual for some reason.
No, auto, another reason to get a 99/2001, they had better autos. It has air, power windows, door locks, I think everything you could get on one at the time.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 01-28-2016, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
What you need is the 99/2000 I six. almost bullet proof.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
Don't those have the head issue?
The common issue with those are cracked piston skirts. Happened to mine at 280,000. Cant complain.

Mine was a '99 WJ. Really cant say I had many problems with it, and I beat the crap out of it.
But I know people that have had the same, with zero issues, and some with many issues.

Which is why I hate personal anecdotes when it comes to vehicles....

Old 01-28-2016, 07:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

we had that vintage grand Cherokee as well for several years.

traded it for a minivan when it was time. I do miss it as it was a very pleasant vehicle to drive.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

I'm looking for something that is easy to work on, but tough enough to handle daily driver duties, and hauling the family around (no minivan for me) and some light construction work as well. I plan on trying to find a low mileage unit that has been taken care of, and understand that I may have to pay more for it, but I worry daily about my Saturn's transmission, and front end geometry....it just feels like it is going to implode one of these days.

Thanks for all the positive replies, there truly is a cult Jeep following, kinda like Porsches.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

naxja
jeep forum
wrangler forum (relevant for motor/trans some suspension)

in my experience these are at least as strong if not more so than any p-car board.
Old 01-29-2016, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: