Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Flooding in Louisiana

My thoughts and prayers on your troubles yet again. Hope things improve soon.

Old 08-17-2016, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Yes, been a rough year here. Flooding in March, then the shootings and protests, now a flood that broke all previous records, by several feet in many areas. 40,000 flooded homes currently, many outside the 100 year floodplain. As a comparison of scale, Hurricane Katrina had about 110,000 flooded homes, and this storm wasn't even a hurricane.

The flood response has really been outstanding. My Guard unit and many others are activated, 20,000 people rescued, 1000+ pets. Several mega shelters open until the water recedes. Our new governor is certainly proving himself as a leader.

We know the risks of living here and many have flood insurance. 30 inches of rain in 2 days is difficult to plan for. Lack of elevation only compounds the problem, water stays around for awhile.

Thanks for your well-wishes.
2013 Panamera
2004 Boxster
Old 08-17-2016, 02:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Your welcome, as I said I hope things take a turn for the better.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Good thoughts and prayers to the folks down there. 30 inches of rain in 2 days is hard to imagine, just - wow.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Howard View Post
My Guard unit and many others are activated, 20,000 people rescued, 1000+ pets. Several mega shelters open until the water recedes. Our new governor is certainly proving himself as a leader.
Mark...thanks for all your help to those in need. I just found out last night a good friend in Denham Springs had her entire property flooded up to a 4' high fence! Their pets and livestock were saved but that's about it. This is the person who pulled one of my rescues from a shelter back in '06 and helped with a healthy leg of the transport.

I hope she has insurance....
Old 08-17-2016, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Pretty crazy video.

https://youtu.be/5zDtb33BUds
1991 M5 - Gone
1993 RS America - Gone
Old 08-18-2016, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
New York Times public editor: We neglected our duty in Louisiana flood coverage

Quote:
As south Louisianians wonder if the rest of the nation even knows about its plight after widespread flooding, The New York Times' public editor admits that it was "late to the scene."

Liz Spayd says in a piece published Tuesday that the newspaper devoted no staff resources to the story until Sunday.

This despite that fact that, by Saturday, a state of emergency had been declared, flood waters were raging and people were being rescued from vehicles and houses.

The slow start led to a number of well-deserved reader complaints, said Spayd, who described the Times' effort as "particularly weak."
Old 08-20-2016, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
Pretty crazy video.

https://youtu.be/5zDtb33BUds
He got the dog. Tears in my eyes.

People are amazing. I am going to die. Nope, get my dog.

+1 for the rescue team.
Old 08-20-2016, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
He got the dog. Tears in my eyes.

People are amazing. I am going to die. Nope, get my dog.

+1 for the rescue team.
After hearing her say "get my god damn dog", I'm surprised the dog didn't bit him.
1991 M5 - Gone
1993 RS America - Gone
Old 08-20-2016, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The flooding was never before seen. The back water came up so fast people didn't have a chance to even get out in their car. Now that the waters is down the damage and long tern effects makes the actual flooding seem tame. 83% of all structures in Livingston Parish are a total loss. Water to the roof line as well as their cars. Now the insurance, contractor, survival stories are going to be the run of the day. Most folks that were flooded lost everything they have other than the clothes on their backs. Take the young family that has very little equity in the house, both cars had notes of them. Where and how do they start over. The other issue is where do you put all these folks that have houses but are stripped to the studs and inhabitable for at least 2 to 3 months. It hard when you look out your front door on next to the street is everything you use to own and then piled with sheetrock and insulation. To the level of the cost...Katrina total bill was 1.4 billion, this flood so far is said to be 30 billion in damage. If it wasn't for the faith based groups in Louisiana I'm not sure how folks would survive. 2 churches in Livingston Parish served over 6000 meals today. And we have month of this to deal with.
Old 08-20-2016, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Whew, that's a pretty tough description to hear, Instrument 41.
Fortunately country folks are resilient and know how to get by with little, as things get pulled back together.
In the aftermath of our hurricane Iniki on Kauai. The strength of the community came to light, and the bonds of making it thru the recovery are still to be felt.

Hoping the best for y'all, and a spell of good weather.

Cheers Richard
Old 08-21-2016, 04:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Makes one wonder just what is going on? We had similar rainfall events in April and again in May in this area (classified both as 500 year rain events), just not as widespread as the LA one.

Just as it happened here, reports are saying large numbers of homes outside the 100 year flood plain (and many low income areas inside the plain) had no flood insurance and are going to be in for some really hard times. Even those with flood insurance? As instrument 41 stated, where all those people going to live in the meantime.
Old 08-21-2016, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GG Allin View Post
After hearing her say "get my god damn dog", I'm surprised the dog didn't bit him.
Have to give her a pass. A little stressful.

Old 08-21-2016, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: