Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help



Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
"I am the liquor..."
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Carolina
Posts: 5,994
When Z took the lead and proceeded to break away, I was yelling, kicking, screaming, and laughing like a crazy man!!! I knew it couldn't/wouldn't last...but what if!!!!???? And then he went down. Wow. What a show! I am happy with the results.
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 03-26-2017, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Registered User
 
peteremsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: denver, co
Posts: 6,495
Great race. Surprised to see JL so far off the pace. Zarco and Maverick may well be the ones to watch this season as the euro tracks come into play, though I'll always root for VR.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pismo Beach, CA.
Posts: 550
I agree, great race and great result. Zarco and Mavy will do well, my guess is they'll do the regular routine of an up-and-comer rookie,..... kill it in some races, and bin it in others while trying. What'd they call Stoner his rookie year in '06 ?...... "Crash happy".. LOL
__________________
1987 911 Carrera Coupe
1987 Buick Grand National
1974 Mini Cooper- Supercharged 1275
Old 03-26-2017, 10:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Space Coast
Posts: 344
^Vinales is in his third year of MotoGP after two with Suzuki.

I hope Zarco can keep it rubber side down next time. Thrilled to see his speed.
__________________
82 911SC - 3 yrs of fun
06 MINI Cooper S - current fun
Old 03-27-2017, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pismo Beach, CA.
Posts: 550
Oops, you're right. Got sucked in with all the excitement around his new position alongside Vale...

Anyone else stoked to see the Suzuki battling hard at the front!
__________________
1987 911 Carrera Coupe
1987 Buick Grand National
1974 Mini Cooper- Supercharged 1275
Old 03-27-2017, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Luccia at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,873
I was pretty stoked about Suzuki. I was also really stoked to see The Doctor battle from position 10 up to 3rd. I'm a die hard Rossi fan though. Rossi always seems to not do so well in practice/qualifying. I'm pretty stoked that Vinales is his teammate this year.

How about Aprilia though? I was definitely stoked for them as well!
Old 03-27-2017, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)
 
Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
I see you
 
flatbutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 11,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
I was pretty stoked about Suzuki. I was also really stoked to see The Doctor battle from position 10 up to 3rd. I'm a die hard Rossi fan though. Rossi always seems to not do so well in practice/qualifying. I'm pretty stoked that Vinales is his teammate this year.

How about Aprilia though? I was definitely stoked for them as well!
True true Luccia Vale has had me stoked for years. I was conflicted when Nicky and Colin were racing. I always cheered them first then VR, but now I'm for the old guy!
__________________
'99R1100SA DDP of course
'12 M1100 mostro rosso
'10 M696 gone as down payment for '12
Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-27-2017, 12:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Carolina
Posts: 5,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
I was pretty stoked about Suzuki. I was also really stoked to see The Doctor battle from position 10 up to 3rd. I'm a die hard Rossi fan though. Rossi always seems to not do so well in practice/qualifying. I'm pretty stoked that Vinales is his teammate this year.

How about Aprilia though? I was definitely stoked for them as well!
Agree with all that you wrote, Luccia! Good to see you posting in this thread!

Rossi was pretty much the motivating factor in driving my MotoGP obsession. I'm pleased with his results, but in usual Rossi fashion, it sure did come down to the wire. SHEEESH!

This season -- with the new M2 blood in the Premier class and all of the team changes -- has really given me something else to focus on, rather than Rossi's bid for another championship. I respect them all, but I have my favorites. For me, so long as anyone but Marc or Jorge (although I would like to see Ducati have another title), wins the championship, I will be happy! Zarco is the dark-horse underdog that I'm pulling for this season!
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)

Last edited by sand_man; 03-28-2017 at 06:44 AM..
Old 03-28-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Luccia at Pelican Parts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
True true Luccia Vale has had me stoked for years. I was conflicted when Nicky and Colin were racing. I always cheered them first then VR, but now I'm for the old guy!
It must be the Italian in me that just loves anytime the Doc has a good race. I just want him to win one more championship. I mean, this old man is beating up some guys out there that are way younger than me! Italians age well, am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
Agree with all that you wrote, Luccia! Good to see you posting in this thread!

Rossi was pretty much the motivating factor in driving my MotoGP obsession. I'm pleased with his results, but in usual Rossi fashion, it sure did come down to the wire. SHEEESH!

This season -- with the new M2 blood in the Premier class and all of the team changes -- has really given me something else to focus on, rather than Rossi's bid for another championship. I respect them all, but I have my favorites. For me, so long as anyone but Marc or Jorge (although I would like to see Ducati have another title), wins the championship, I will be happy! Zarco is the dark-horse underdog that I'm pulling for this season!
He was also the individual that sucked me into it the most. His age, confidence and goofy manner just really make the season exciting for me. When Lorenzo would complain in the news conferences I couldn't stop laughing at how Rossi would respond.

Anyways, I am really excited for this season. We have some really good teams and new riders this year. Let's just hope Crutchlow doesn't keep crashing out this year. He had some good wins last season. MotoGP > F1

How do you guys feel about the new aero design everyone had to go with this year? Ducati's was a real let down for me... just not something "beautiful" looking that I'd expect from an Italian team.

Old 03-28-2017, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 15,693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
I was pretty stoked about Suzuki.
Long time Suzuki fan here... Yeah, their bike has some potential this year. They've made progress on acceleration and top speed and the thing has a lot more corner speed than most of the other bikes. Here's hoping Crazy Joe gets a little happier with Michelins front tires for this year. It's a shame the couldn't keep Vinales for another year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
How do you guys feel about the new aero design everyone had to go with this year? Ducati's was a real let down for me... just not something "beautiful" looking that I'd expect from an Italian team.
Well, I was no fan of the winglets, either. The way the rules are written now, the winglets are essentially still there, they are just on the inside now. Ugly, perhaps, but effective. They have far too much power now, so using front downforce reduces the power they have to cut to keep the front end on the ground. We won't see the ugly fairings at every track, I don't think. I'll wait and see what they all look like when in their final iteration and have a little paint on them.

Ducati was really dialing the power back with electronics. Dovi was hooked up through turn 11 while the Yamahas were smoking their rear tires all the way through the same corner. Fun to watch but I didn't think the tire would take that for the whole race.

If you want to look at some beautiful Italian bikes, go find some pictures of the old 500cc Cagivas that were campaigned in the early 90's...

JR
Old 03-28-2017, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
I see you
 
flatbutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NW NJ
Posts: 11,829
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
It must be the Italian in me that just loves anytime the Doc has a good race. I just want him to win one more championship. I mean, this old man is beating up some guys out there that are way younger than me! Italians age well, am I right?
e vero!
__________________
'99R1100SA DDP of course
'12 M1100 mostro rosso
'10 M696 gone as down payment for '12
Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 03-28-2017, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Max Sluiter
 
Flieger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: So Cal
Posts: 19,577
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Long time Suzuki fan here... Yeah, their bike has some potential this year. They've made progress on acceleration and top speed and the thing has a lot more corner speed than most of the other bikes. Here's hoping Crazy Joe gets a little happier with Michelins front tires for this year. It's a shame the couldn't keep Vinales for another year.



Well, I was no fan of the winglets, either. The way the rules are written now, the winglets are essentially still there, they are just on the inside now. Ugly, perhaps, but effective. They have far too much power now, so using front downforce reduces the power they have to cut to keep the front end on the ground. We won't see the ugly fairings at every track, I don't think. I'll wait and see what they all look like when in their final iteration and have a little paint on them.

Ducati was really dialing the power back with electronics. Dovi was hooked up through turn 11 while the Yamahas were smoking their rear tires all the way through the same corner. Fun to watch but I didn't think the tire would take that for the whole race.

If you want to look at some beautiful Italian bikes, go find some pictures of the old 500cc Cagivas that were campaigned in the early 90's...

JR
Those smoking tires were nuts- I thought the electronics era killed all that. Looked like old school GP racing.
__________________
911S
1971 chassis, 2.7RS spec MFI engine, suspension mods, lightened

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 03-28-2017, 08:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 15,693
No, the electronics can be adjusted to give a rider more or less of about anything. That's why the "electronics guy" is so important. There's probably more time to be gained by optimizing the electronics than by twisting wrenches. Before they mandated the spec electronics package, the software that the factory teams was using was very sophisticated. They could give a rider something different for every turn on the track.

I remember talking with Nicky's dad when he first got on the Ducati and was having trouble adapting to it. Nicky had spent his entire career using his right wrist as the traction control software and was having difficulty adapting his riding style to the "twist the throttle wide open and hope the electronics guy did a good job" method that was becoming the norm. American riders, thanks to their roots in dirt track, had been finishing off the corners with the throttle since the late 70's/early '80's when Kenny Roberts showed the world another way to ride a bike.

JR
Old 03-29-2017, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Registered User
 
dlockhart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 3,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
No, the electronics can be adjusted to give a rider more or less of about anything. That's why the "electronics guy" is so important. There's probably more time to be gained by optimizing the electronics than by twisting wrenches. Before they mandated the spec electronics package, the software that the factory teams was using was very sophisticated. They could give a rider something different for every turn on the track.

I remember talking with Nicky's dad when he first got on the Ducati and was having trouble adapting to it. Nicky had spent his entire career using his right wrist as the traction control software and was having difficulty adapting his riding style to the "twist the throttle wide open and hope the electronics guy did a good job" method that was becoming the norm. American riders, thanks to their roots in dirt track, had been finishing off the corners with the throttle since the late 70's/early '80's when Kenny Roberts showed the world another way to ride a bike.

JR
We see that to a degree even at the National/ motoamerica level with superbikes. The big teams can afford the electronics guys who can dial in the bike to make the extra power usable. Smaller teams with superbikes seem to struggle to do better than the superstock bikes. Last year Jake Gagne and the roadrace factory guys really struggled with it. Looking at the COTA tire tests yesterday. Josh Herrin is having a similar start with his Meenmotorsports superbike. Last year Herrin was often near or with the leading superbikes on his Meen superstock bike. That tells me that modern literbikes are pretty amazing with just modest mods and superbikes also need a super tech crew to get them to work.

pic of Tryg Westby and his 1924 pitbike at COTA test yesterday

__________________
FKA 5axis
Anarcho Capitalist

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."--Benito Mussolini
Old 03-29-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 15,693
Tryg has a lot of pit bikes. You never know what he'll show up with. I like his noisy little Honda 400, as it seems to be halfway useful as a pit bike. When he brings something like an RC30, it's not so useful...

Lots of teams are struggling a little this year. I think only Yamaha has had any sort of decent test program. Suzuki was a wee bit late getting their bike to Yosh and none of the rest of the teams has done all that much. It will be interesting to see how the first few rounds go; even the teams with capable staff are just getting started. Lots of changes this year in MotoA...

JR
Old 03-29-2017, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)
Registered User
 
peteremsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: denver, co
Posts: 6,495
WSBK from Aragon this weekend!
Old 03-31-2017, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tulsa, OK
Posts: 15,693
Yeah. Sadly, no work at all on the Hondas since the last race, so another long weekend for Nicky.

JR
Old 03-31-2017, 05:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)
"I am the liquor..."
 
sand_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Cooterville, Carolina
Posts: 5,994
Argentina boyz and girlz!!!!
__________________
-jeff
back in the saddle: '95 993 - just another black C2
*SOLD*: '87 930 GP White - heroin would have been a cheaper addiction...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 04-08-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Tori's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Pismo Beach, CA.
Posts: 550
Watched Q1 earlier,...... it was good...... now about to watch Q2
__________________
1987 911 Carrera Coupe
1987 Buick Grand National
1974 Mini Cooper- Supercharged 1275
Old 04-08-2017, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Registered User
 
peteremsley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 1999
Location: denver, co
Posts: 6,495
Gonna be interesting after that wet/drying qualifying session. Hopefully Cal can keep the shiny bits off the pavement this week.
Old 04-08-2017, 09:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)
Reply

Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

 


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:26 PM.


 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2016 Pelican Parts - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page
 

DTO Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.