Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowperil View Post
Plus, je suis tres, how you say, offenced. C'est pas, how you say, nice.

Merde!
I hope you can look past the offence I have given you, and help me.

I am asking why my experience, and the experience of other business owners I have asked that confirm my experience, is quite bad.

I work in an engineering department, when a problem arises, it is my nature to try to solve it. To solve a problem, one must ask why. I am asking why, so I can gather information, and build a better understanding.

Here in the US, business is run on a method of contracts, parties agree that certain items, moneys or services are to be exchanged. If the exchange does not take place, there are set responses based on what has happened.

It does not seem to be the case in my business dealings with Quebec. Perhaps they operate business as a person, driven with an emotion. I do not know, but wish to know why.

In my asking why, offense not intended was received. Without asking why, an answer cannot be gained, and a frustration must continue.

If some one where to ask about a difficulty with the USA, I would not personally take offense, I would try to share if I could, the reasoning the person or people they have a problem with are operating under.

Cheers.

I used the word dense, but others I have asked about their international business experience used the word dishonest. If a contract is not followed, either the person not following it does not understand the contract, or understands it, but is intentionally trying to violate it. I would love to avoid the problems I have had across many years, and if I understand why, even if I do not agree with the why, I will be able to empathize and work with a culture that thinks differently than I do.

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-15-2016 at 02:11 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2porscheguy View Post
Tervuren, you have an issue with one F-C and you're labeling "all of us".....pre-judge much?

I never thought I'd see this here on PPOT!

Not cool sir!!
Reminds me of a PARF thread...Tervuren, this isn't like you . Don't care how you rationalize it...not cool at all imo.
Old 12-15-2016, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

I'm surprised this is coming up now. You see they want to winter over in FLA but like their beer. Problem is for the past 16 years when they reach NC they get word that some guy from VT has consumed all the molson and labatt in FLA. Put yourself in their Jesus sandles, argile socks, and speedo. How would you feel?
Old 12-15-2016, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

French-Canadian Americans - History, New france, SETTLEMENTS OUTSIDE QUÉBEC

There was a time when the English and the French fought in the US and Canada. There may be pockets of hostility between the cultures to this day, much as there is between the Protestants and the Catholics in Ireland.

Or so I have read and heard. From my personal experience, it exists on a very individual basis.
Old 12-15-2016, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Reminds me of a PARF thread...Tervuren, this isn't like you . Don't care how you rationalize it...not cool at all imo.
I talked to the head accountant of the company I work for earlier today prior to my post. Every single French Canadian business has had its credit revoked for lack of payment. Two companies, despite the company having the money, the accountant has had to go to court to receive the money.

I am not asking why based on one instance. I was able to recognize the actions as that of a French Canadian without knowing his name, or address.

It is normal, from my talks with our accountant from time to time, for cities that border the great lakes, Hudson River, and north eastern coastal Continental North America(US and Canada) to pay as late as they can get away with, either the full 30 days, or 30 days + whenever you actually call to collect. However, in these cases, a placed phone call results in eventual payment. If the call is always required, the terms are shortened by 10 days and a moderate interest rate is applied for those 10 days, followed by a regular interest rate once the bill is 30 days +.

While there are difficult businesses to deal with in the USA, and the rest of the world, no other region has every business offered terms, always abuse them such that they are eventually permanently put on COD or prepay only.

So this is my perspective, yes perhaps I am not normally like this as I'm short on regular sleep, and my initial post was a poorly written initial vent of frustration, one that I hoped would spark a discussion for me to read. However, I have had to provide more detail in order to possibly get that discussion going. Unfortunately I have given unintended offence in my haste.

For the New York businesses, I see a culture that does not see a difference between money they have that they owe, and money that they have that they don't owe. This culture is the reason they push credit past terms. However, they do understand the need to pay eventually.

The problem with businesses in Quebec, is they do not seem to see the reason to pay at all.

I only have my data points. I've had conversations with a few presidents of international corporations. I always ask them about how it is doing business in China, Russia, and Quebec. Their answer about Quebec is generally the same as what I've said above. China is a mixed bag of different answers, the same no universal answer goes for Russia as well.

Different places have their different cultures, Try doing business in Mexico City, you cannot do so like you would in the United States. In the Mexican business world, its common for employees to say what they think you want to hear rather than reality. Once you know this, you can carefully tailor you questions to not reveal what you want to hear. This gives you something closer to the truth.

The donation I mentioned to a French Canadian, was buying a registration on StarKnights: An Online Strategy/RPG Game. Come play with us for free!. If anyone wants a fun resource based game by a French Canadian PM me and I'll give you the code.

I am feeling better now, thanks to all for your help in calming a frazzeled Terv. However, I would appreciate any insight on why businesses outside of Canada have trouble with business in certain parts of the province of Quebec.

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-15-2016 at 11:32 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC911 View Post
Although I don't post often here, I have read many of your posts Tervuren and, as KC911 has stated..yes, the tone of your opening statement in your first post really "isn't like you".

Although I was raised in Quebec and have a lot of family that still resides there, I am a transplanted F-C (a Franco-Albertan)...I've called Alberta home since 1984 so I'm not in touch with day to day events and have no business dealings in Quebec. Having said that I know the culture fairly well and although Quebec has it's own set of laws (French-heritage civil laws) which may differ somewhat from the rest of Canada, I can't see your issue being in anyway linked to a "cultural thing".

Unfortunately I guess Quebec, like all other jurisdictions, provinces, states, etc also has an ample supply of dirtbags, douches, and "des trous de cul" (azzholes!)!

'80 911SC Targa
'06 997 C4S Coupe - SOLD
'07 997TT Coupe
Old 12-15-2016, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

White and Nerdy

Garage
Having just gotten up from a much needed sleep, I realize my original post is written in a way that directed what I said to the people as a whole. This is always universally a mistake to do. In machining, when an extruded aluminum bar measures all good or bad when a hardness test is performed on the both ends and middle, does not mean the entire 30 foot bar bar is entirely good or bad. I started to realize after reading initial responses that my initial post was directed at all French Canadian people universally. I became partially aware, and now today am fully aware that my words were out of bounds and wrong.

I should of perhaps said "why are a good deal of French Canadian international business practices so dense".

Last edited by Tervuren; 12-16-2016 at 03:47 AM..
Old 12-15-2016, 11:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
Having just gotten up from a much needed sleep, I realize my original post is written in a way that directed what I said to the people as a whole. This is always universally a mistake to do....
I don't care what EVERYONE else thinks about you Terv, you're good in my world...we all have our moments...makes us normal imo
Old 12-16-2016, 02:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
In my mind anybody that does not pay their bills by the deadline is in breach of contract.
ie. is a piece of work. I googled Quebec law versus the rest of Canada and the former is based on French Civil law and the latter is based on Common Law. So perhaps the interpretation is different. However it is not unusual for some people not to pay their bills on time wherever they are located.

When I was on our condo board I noticed infractions of every kind. For instance not wanting to pay bills, having pets in the building(no pets allowed), underage people living in an over 50 building etc etc. What is amazing is that the perps can justify whatever they do. So invariably we got a condo lawyer involved.

I understand where you are coming from when you suffer lack of sleep and deal with these azzhats. I experience that too but not having responsibilities at this time nobody has to endure my assertiveness. I would suggest that you talk about taking legal action and if that does not give you the results then follow through with it. You do what you have to do.

Last edited by recycled sixtie; 12-16-2016 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: changed a word
Old 12-16-2016, 04:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I think if you complain about them smoking and wearing Speedos on the beach you will find universal support here.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

After graduating HS, a buddy and I took a road trip from MI to Nova Scotia and then back down the east coast. All the Canadians we met were extremely friendly. The only problem we encountered was the language barrier in Quebec City...seemed as though nobody spoke english there! Prob just the part of the city we were in.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
Turvuren I can see now your initial post was in haste. Maybe you should have slept on it and re-read before sending. Yes these stereo-types become embedded in us as we get older because we do have these real world experiences. I used to deal with companies that border the US, that isn't Canada, and they too had their way of doing business. They always found something to nit pick about our product after delivery and wanted a discount. We found the only way to combat this was to add an extra amount to initial price equal to the discount we knew they would ask for. Everyone was happy!
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 12-16-2016, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: