Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Paging Dr Dogface

Need advice on German Shepherd Puppy

Cheers
Scott

Old 12-20-2016, 10:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Having a year-and-a-half old German Shepherd in our home, I'll speak for my wife and answer this way ... Don't get one.

She'd be wrong, of course, as this is (or will be, anyway) a truly amazing dog, for all of the reasons German Shepherds are known.

This is from his first birthday ...

_

Last edited by Norm K; 12-21-2016 at 02:30 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I give you credit for asking what a dog is like before committing.

My wife used to have a German Shepherd. Was attention deficit. It's worst habit was when I used to go to work it liked to undo my shoelaces. Could not make it to the garage without that happening.

Before my wife and I were married I had the dog out at my rented farmhouse with a long driveway and no gate. It was totally restless. When out it wanted in and when in it wanted out. To make a long story short it got hit by a car when it wandered away on to the road.

Subsequent dogs were a mixed breed shepherd(better) and a lab(the best of the three).
Have no dog now.
Old 12-21-2016, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
I am not sure about this but didn't drdogface pass away earlier this year?
It seems to me he was a regular poster here but hadn't seen anything from him in quite some time.

While growing up, my family had a white German Shepard. She was a very smart dog with a great personality but poorly trained. She was also a runner but we probably didn't work her hard enough to settle her down.

I still tear up a bit when I think about holding on to her as she crossed over the rainbow bridge... I was 19 years old and she had come to us as a puppy when I was 5. I still miss her.
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.
Old 12-21-2016, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

My daughter has a GS puppy, and loves it. She has been growing like a weed (65# at 6 months old), and still does alot of goofy bumbling. She currently only has one ear that will stay up for any length of time, and loves to chew on everything.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

No sorry...need advice on his well being. It's my son and d.i.l's dog. He was born with a hole in his heart which my kids had fixed. He also has a couple of vertebrae that are touching and pinching his spinal cord causing his back legs to be all wonky. The vet claims that surgery is probably not an option but see how he goes in a few months as he grows and the muscles strengthen. If no real change than euthanasia would be the option. My kids have no problem spending whatever it will take. They are of the opinion that they took him on warts and all and have to at least try whatever they can so he gets his one shot on this planet just like the rest of us.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

[QUOTE=billybek;9404416]I am not sure about this but didn't drdogface pass away earlier this year?
/QUOTE]

Bugga, I hope not. He was such a nice bloke.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

don't think so..
not sure if it was him..
but he lost a very much loved dog..
must be tough to do this for other's already..
doing your own while comforting..
can't be any easier..

good luck with the pup...

go to the dog thread..
you should be able to pm him..

Rika
Old 12-21-2016, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

the guy next door had two GS mom and her son
the owner taught the mom tricks like to open a door via the knob
and to climb a chainlink fence
mom GS taught the son all her tricks
and he was regularly found in my kitchen raiding the garbage can
after climbing the fence and opening the back door

a well behaved dog friendly dog but maybe too smart
mom got the hip thing bad at about 8 years old
so watch out for that

my current mut is a GS+chow+lab mix
I like muts as they are healthier and live longer then the in-breds
Old 12-21-2016, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

My akc Shepard died a few months back. She was a handful(health side), but was trained, and had no bad habbits... Sister gave me a yugo Shepard. He's as healthy as an ox, but a bit more of a troublemaker.
Either way. You can't go wrong.

As above. I trained mine not to jump, but he has no problem opening the gate, then opening the door, or vise versa. I need to teach him to close the door after.

IRR... What IRR!

Last edited by Arizona_928; 12-22-2016 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: He's a yugo. Not Australian
Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

^ Beautiful looking dog. I have one to. She's my fur baby. I had her aunt as well but sadly passed away from lung cancer.
Old 12-21-2016, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

I tend to take vacations from PPOT from time to time... sometimes long ones. I sure hope Mark (DDF) is still with us...if not....sadness
Old 12-21-2016, 02:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

G'day!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post

Cheers
Scott

Hey Scott.....

FWIW I haven't seen DDF post in quite a while but...SiberianDVM is a regular poster over in the Dog Thread. Maybe he can help you.....

Good luck, mate!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewolf View Post

Cheers
Scott
Dr Dogface has not posted since 2012.

Last edited by tcar; 12-21-2016 at 04:33 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
UnRegistered User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
Dr Dogface has not posted since 2012.
Maybe there is two?
Last activity March of 2016.
Looks like he had sold his car a few years ago and had dropped around to see if there was any action on Jimmy Deering (sp?)
Glad I was wrong on the dead thing! (At least I think I am wrong....)
Thread link: Any news on Jimmy Deering ?
And I sold a bunch of parts I hadn't installed yet.

Last edited by billybek; 12-21-2016 at 04:59 PM..
Old 12-21-2016, 04:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

He bought my 49 Chevy pickup about 5 years ago. Did an extensive renovation to give it modern driving characteristics (disc brakes, suspension, etc) so he could use it as a DD, it needed it. I got an email from him about a year ago asking about the varnish I used to refinish the bed oak. But nothing since. He posts on the Stovebolt forum occasionally, but looks like his most recent one is from last spring. Hope all is ok. A great guy hopefully enjoying retirement.

I just sent him an email and asked him to log on. Hopefully reports of his demise are greatly exaggerated!

Last edited by Chocaholic; 12-22-2016 at 05:52 AM..
Old 12-22-2016, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Update: just got this from Mark:
'
Hey Mike…

Thanks for the heads up.. I am Porsche-less so don’t go to Pelican much anymore. I guess you could PM that guy and give him my email address… Chev is looking and driving well

Mark

Scott...I'll PM with his email address.
Old 12-22-2016, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Sad to bring this thread back for this reason.

Mark and I worked together with another 5-6 people here on PP to get a scammer tossed in jail. He was stealing 911 parts (and sometimes a car) and selling them. After YEARS of work we were successful...

Anyways we were pretty close and I tried to stay in touch with him when I could. Well I just received an email from his wife that Mark had gone into Hospice and had passed. Below is the note from his wife.

"Yes, his wife is answering when I have time. He had very many friends that I didn't know about, plus he had his own accounts which now are not working because of pass words re :computer. Yes he had many medical problems all on going. The worst was his back problems. Long story short: doctors could not help him anymore so he decided to go into Hospice care because he couldn't stand the pain anymore. He died in less than two weeks at home. Yes heart breaking and so sad. Jeanne

On Nov 20, 2020, at 8:51 AM, joe@joea.com wrote:

I just found out that evidently Mark passed away in August.

What happened? Had he been sick?

We were old Porsche friends and we had worked together on many projects...

Really sad to see...

Thanks,

Joe Abrahamson
Phoenix"
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 12-11-2020, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
My daughter has a GS puppy, and loves it. She has been growing like a weed (65# at 6 months old), and still does alot of goofy bumbling. She currently only has one ear that will stay up for any length of time, and loves to chew on everything.
4 year update...Elsa is a big 90# girl now, and loves nothing more than to run full speed around our farm crashing around with our 65# Aussie chasing chickens. She had a rough puppyhood being at an Amish puppy farm with no love, or contact, but she is well adjusted now...scary bark though !

That really sucks about Mark's passing...so sudden !
Old 12-11-2020, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Try not, Do or Do not

Garage
Check the breeder for hip issues and feed him/her raw.
That's all I have. We do Goldens and Pyrenees here.

Email: supertec1@earthlink.net
Old 12-11-2020, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: