Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

So apparently I drove my rental car into Syria

Not really, but close...

I was just looking at iPhoto and some of the places I took photos during my trip to Israel a couple years ago. I rented a car in Tel Aviv and drove all over the country, including the West Bank. I drove around the Sea of Galilee and it seems that I unwittingly drove thru the Israel-Syria DMZ line. This is a bit surprising to me... I thought there would have been a military checkpoint or at least a border. Maybe because its a DMZ, there is nothing? Anyone know more about this?

Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I remember the pics you took of that trip. I have zero, and I mean zero desire to go anywhere near.

How 'bout let's not do that again?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Israel now controls a large chunk of Syrian territory to the east and north east of the Sea of Galilee that they captured during the wars of 1967 and 1973 (Golan Heights). If you drive around the sea on Highway 92 you are still miles from the "new" boarder. There are still some old mine fields that are roped off because they have never been properly swept, but other than that there are only a few Kibbutzes and fishing villages that you will encounter.

Last edited by Jolly Amaranto; 01-23-2017 at 05:08 PM..
Old 01-23-2017, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh yes, and then there's that. The minefields. Never mind the border guards. Other than that, it's a cake walk.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Minefields? Meh. He was only driving a rental car.
Old 01-23-2017, 05:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

An American married to a Russian. The guys in the DMZ were probably taking cover.
Old 01-23-2017, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Groucho Marxist

Garage
So long as you drove back out of Syria, right?

Mark Twain
Old 01-23-2017, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusnak View Post
I remember the pics you took of that trip. I have zero, and I mean zero desire to go anywhere near.

How 'bout let's not do that again?
One of the most fascinating trips I've been on. Would do it again in a second. Actually, planning on taking my mom there as soon as I can talk her into it. She's balking.
Old 01-24-2017, 12:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill douglas View Post
an american married to a russian. The guys in the dmz were probably taking cover.
lol
Old 01-24-2017, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I've been reading too much Jack Reacher
Old 01-24-2017, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
least common denominator

Was this a Uber job? Do you paid extra for dodging RPGs?
Old 01-24-2017, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: