Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

question on welding aluminum

Hi guys,
I upgraded my lincoln weld pak 100 to weld aluminum with 100% argon. The first problem I encountered was every time I hit it, I got a bird net right at the wheel. If I pull the trigger but the wire is not touching the aluminum (not sparkling), then wire ran out fine. I tried more than 5 times and had the same problem. Anyone know why?

Thank you.

Here is how I set it at.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned

AC or DC?
Old 02-16-2017, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
abit off center

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to cgarr
When holding the gun you feel the wire hitting? is it kicking back? Could have the feed speed up too high or not enough amps. You using a spool gun?
Twinplug, head work, case savers, rockers arms, etc.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Assuming you don't have a spool gun...

Do you have a Teflon liner in your gun? If not, get one.

A push-pull gun is the right way. Anything else is a struggle.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Make sure tip you are using is bigger than the wire. Tim
Old 02-16-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Inside the welder; the earth and positive, are they setup correctly for aluminium? And the wire diameter correct for the tip.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

I have a Lincoln SP135T... I tried converting... Put the teflon liner in the hose... Special rubber wheel for the drive... Even added some plastic tubing to try and stop it from bird nesting.. No luck. Aluminum wire doesn't like to be pushed that far. Get a spool gun.
I bought some Neptune stick welding rods made for aluminum, and use my Miller portable DC welder with reversed polarity for welding aluminum.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
^Agree, aluminum wire doesn't do very well in longer runs. Spool gun might be the answer. Tim
Old 02-16-2017, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Guys, he has not even struck an arc, he can't feed wire without getting a birdsnest. The problem is not polarity. Yet.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Guys, he has not even struck an arc, he can't feed wire without getting a birdsnest. The problem is not polarity. Yet.
That's not what I read.

He said the aluminium wire feeds just fine until he strikes an arc. Then it makes a birds nest.

Sounds like the power from the arc is getting to the wire feed motor and causing it to go ape ****.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

So when he says he 'hit it' he means the wire hit the weld material? I assumed he meant the trigger?

If that's the case he does need to confirm the polarity AND the weld start characteristics, which he may have no control over on that machine.

But first you need to make sure the power source is turning on. If you are hitting the material with the wire and there is no arc, then either the power source is not on, your wire has come off the feed head, or you don't have a ground.

It should be slightly difficult the hold the wire back with two pinched fingers while you're feeding....

Last edited by 1990C4S; 02-16-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Old 02-16-2017, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
AC or DC?
I did switch the wires.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarr View Post
When holding the gun you feel the wire hitting? is it kicking back? Could have the feed speed up too high or not enough amps. You using a spool gun?
I felt just a little bit, close to none, compare to the kick back when welding with flux wire. I will try to slow the wire speed down, after I see if I can pull the wire out. Now, it's stay in there. The aluminum wire is easy to break when pulling it.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Inside the welder; the earth and positive, are they setup correctly for aluminium? And the wire diameter correct for the tip.
1990C4S, I don't have spool gun. What is push and pull gun? I use the normal original gun, switching to copper nose cover.

timchar, the tip's hole is bigger than the wire. It's can run out easy when not welding.

Bill Douglas, I think it's is correct, according to the diagram. Switching + and _ wires. install the module for gas. Checked on gas coming out at the nose when I pull trigger, flip the wheel.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
I have a Lincoln SP135T... I tried converting... Put the teflon liner in the hose... Special rubber wheel for the drive... Even added some plastic tubing to try and stop it from bird nesting.. No luck. Aluminum wire doesn't like to be pushed that far. Get a spool gun.
I bought some Neptune stick welding rods made for aluminum, and use my Miller portable DC welder with reversed polarity for welding aluminum.
oh no, are you saying my lincoln 100 is useless for aluminum, without spool gun? That's sad.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
Sorry I didn't make clear. I could get wire to come out smoothly when I pull the trigger. I can feel gas comes out to. The bird net is right when I strike it. Soon it arc, it's stop, and bird net.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnln View Post
oh no, are you saying my lincoln 100 is useless for aluminum, without spool gun? That's sad.
Nope. I saw a regular Lincoln - without spool gun, successfully welding with aluminium on a youtube. I remember the guy said to keep the cable reasonably straight and it will feed OK.
Old 02-16-2017, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

here is how the wires set up. I think it is correct. + goes to the gun. - goes to the clamp for -

Old 02-16-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Nope. I saw a regular Lincoln - without spool gun, successfully welding with aluminium on a youtube. I remember the guy said to keep the cable reasonably straight and it will feed OK.
for me, pulling trigger without striking it, it comes out fine. As long as I strike it, the first time it arcs, it will stop right away. And I have bird net. I tried multiple times and it happens the same way.
Looking at the 2 knobs, I did set wire speed to high and low power, as many youtube clips mentioned.
Old 02-16-2017, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Tig it!

IRR... What IRR!
Old 02-16-2017, 09:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: