Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesapeakeTeche View Post
We're heading out tomorrow morning for the Bay area to pick up the car. I'll keep the thread updated! Seems like a good plan to take the southern route as it looks like the northern areas have gotten a good amount of snow!

Thanks to everyone who is following and has touched base about the trip!
When in Memphis check out the Pyramid which is now a Bass Pro Shop. Can't miss it, on your left just after you cross the Mississippi bridge:

1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 03-10-2017, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)

We were in Bakersfield right now and will head to 40 via Tehachapi shortly. Looking forward to more driving this morning.
We took 152 from Gilroy over to route 5. It was a great drive but was getting dark so I'm sure we missed some scenery.

Minor issue - one of the dash lights stopped working after we stopped for gas. Will look at replacing it when we get back.

Also it may be time for a new suspension - feels a bit soft and the back squats under hard acceleration. I'd like to look for a setup that is good for street use as that will be my primary use of the car. Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)

Garage
Could you tell how full the reservoir was going over 152.
Brother lives in San Martin so I've been over 152 many times.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
The Broken Road

Looks like snow Wednesday late in the Chesapeake Bay area...

Great trip. Post pics!

"...a traffic jam on a Venn diagram."
Old 03-11-2017, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Pics coming shortly!
When starting out this morning heard some tapping near passengers side firewall. Seemed to happen when sitting at a light then went away. Lasted 10-30 seconds. Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2017, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Regarding the reservoir - it was getting dark but seemed very full...
Old 03-11-2017, 08:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Stopped near Edwards AFB and it was great to meet up with Golten951. He brought some tools and a jack / stands. Took the wheels off and noticed the left front wheel bearing was loose so we tightened that. Also topped off the coolant and added about 1/2 quart of oil. Also was kind enough to give the car a once over and put in a new dome light!
We are passing through Needles right now in the Mojave desert. Car seems to be running in the 1/3 lower temperature range between 4 and 5 on the oil pressure gauge and voltage between 12 and 14.
In the S2, 60 mph is around 2500 rpm and 70 is right around 3000 rpms.
Adding link to photos in the next post!
Old 03-11-2017, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Link to photos!!

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2cGvNDtmfJULS15R2ZmeVRhVEU
Old 03-11-2017, 04:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Quote:
Nice looking car!
In my redneck experience with front wheel bearings on my 944/951. I would tighten it religiously only to find it just as loose several months later. It was never really a problem. Perhaps I needed new bearings!

...also looking at the strut pic with the oil dripping off the top, assuming that isn't some wd40 or something you sprayed on it, probably all the shocks on your car are toast which would explain the soft feel on the suspension. Again- in my experience (others here will have more experience and might chime in with better info- even if front struts on a 944 are shot, the car will not bounce endlessly up and down like an american car. They may seem fine, but they might be at the end of the line /just a thought....)

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 03-11-2017 at 04:11 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)
least common denominator

Looking at your pics...

Man I miss my 944
Old 03-11-2017, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)

Thanks for the feedback!! Any thoughts on decent struts (would I replace the shocks at the same time as well?) for street use that won't break the bank?
Also if anyone has the article to change the dash light handy please post the link. I also have the airbag wheel which may require additional steps?
Has anyone done the LED dash modification that can send pics too?

Thanks and I will add pics tonight!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

From what I recall (been a while now- fuzzy memory)- shocks = struts on that year of car in front. Rear is "shocks" easy to replace. Front "shocks/struts" easy to replace if you have spring compressor- and you will need alignment afterwords. (still not a big deal)
Question is do you get into bushings- even so- worthwhile to do if they haven't been done.

As for type- depends on your driving intentions. Don't underestimate regular replacements if you are driving primarily road in MD/ eastern shore area. Stock may be good enough. I've driven koni's and koni sport as well, but unless you are going to do something autocross/ etc... you might be surprised by stock (meaning new stock- not 20+ year old worn stock).

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 03-11-2017 at 05:54 PM..
Old 03-11-2017, 05:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Thanks for the feedback!! Any thoughts on decent struts (would I replace the shocks at the same time as well?) for street use that won't break the bank?
Also if anyone has the article to change the dash light handy please post the link. I also have the airbag wheel which may require additional steps?
Has anyone done the LED dash modification that can send pics too?

Thanks and I will add pics tonight!
I stuck with OEM Sachs, wanted to keep it stock and preferred the little more cushy ride quality for our rough roads. Set the car at Euro ride height and have no complaints.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Weekend Worrier

Another free tip from internetland....
See my title "leakyseals?"- It was an unfortunate title before I knew ALL CAPS MEANT SHOUTING!!!!

But that's not important right now- what you want to know, is that if there are leakyseals beneath the engine, fix those before they soak any suspension points. If you see any suspension bushings soaked by motor oil from engine, fix the seals, and then replace the bushings. The oil will eat the hell out of any bushings (sway bar, rear lower arm, etc... etc..)

ps... sounds like a lot right now but don't sweat it... These are not biggies. Nice car!!!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

I'm not familiar with the 944, but "that don't look right" if you know what I mean... especially if it's a brake line.

Old 03-11-2017, 09:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Garage
[QUOTE=Heel n Toe;9507766]I'm not familiar with the 944, but "that don't look right" if you know what I mean... especially if it's a brake line.

that is not a brake line, that is the brake disk warning sensor cable.. looks fine.

Old 03-11-2017, 10:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Made it to Gallup, NM tonight. Looking forward to seeing the rock formations tomorrow morning as they looked spectacular from what we could see at night.
The car is making a knocking sound from the passengers firewall area, some folks have suggested that it's the Cruise Control module, and this sounds like a good possibiltiy because the sound goes away when the brake is depressed. After the sound happens the cruise control also doesn't seem to work.
I'll post some more updates and pics in the morning!
Old 03-11-2017, 11:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

About 100 miles east of Albuquerque.
Ack. Engine Oil warning light is on. Pressure and temps are good. The S2's have an oil level sensor which can cause this I think. Checked the oil right after turning car off looked a bit high. Any thoughts?
Old 03-12-2017, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)

Garage
Too bad it is winter, there is some fairly spectacular country North of you, though maybe those roads would be clear. The bluffs on your left are beautiful, I envy you the view you must have had as the sun was coming up, they look like the rock is on fire at sunset.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
About 100 miles east of Albuquerque.
Ack. Engine Oil warning light is on. Pressure and temps are good. The S2's have an oil level sensor which can cause this I think. Checked the oil right after turning car off looked a bit high. Any thoughts?
if your oil level rises, you may have coolant entering the oil circuit.Which would be bad. You would get white smoke from it
Though i've not really seen it happen much on 944's. usually the other way around, oil getting in the coolant..

Maybe a false reading, cold vs warmer reading, car not perfectly level (parked on a false flat area).

keep a close eye on both levels
check the wires on the sensor, maybe a bad connectiong

Last edited by svandamme; 03-12-2017 at 09:26 PM..
Old 03-12-2017, 09:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
944 , 944 s2 , road trip