Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Death Wish ?

While leaving for work this morning at 6:00 AM, I had to scrape off the windows, and almost slipped down in the driveway getting to my Jeep Liberty. At the end of my road, I wait for 3 oncoming cars who were all doing about 40 MPH on a 2 lane State Route because of the treacherous ice. I pulled out with a litle wheel spin and got up to speed about 100 yards behind the last one in line.

The guy in front of me in a 2WD Ford Ranger starts out around the car in front of him, in a true WTF moment. (I think those words actually escaped my mouth). He made it just around the other car, and kept on going backwards into someone's yard through the ditch, and between trees, and power poles. I slowed down to make sure everyone was OK, but he was already moving/spinning his tires through the yard, and back up onto the road behind me. No more than a minute later, he came barrel assing around me like I was going backwards, and ran up to the car he had just passed, and went around him, and never looked back.....slipping and sliding the whole way.

I was fully expecting to see his smoking vehicle, wheels up, in a field before we got to town, but the Darwin award will have to go elsewhere.
Old 03-14-2017, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The guy has some skillz!!
Old 03-14-2017, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

He drives flatout.
'85 911 Carrera-#008
'14 GMC 2500HD 6.6L Crew
'15 M-B C300 sport
Old 03-14-2017, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brando

Garage
Awesome
Old 03-14-2017, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
When I commuted fro Frazier Park (5,200 elev) to LA back in the day, I had my FJ62 LandCruiser to get me through the snow covered I5 at Gorman. I'd putt along at 35-45 in 4WD and it never failed, some flatlander coming from Bakersfield would whiz by me in a 2WD compact going 60-70.

1-2 miles up I'd see them spun into the guardrail. Some of them I'd yank straight with my tow strap but most, screw em' they could wait for a tow truck.

"Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth. - Mike Tyson
Old 03-14-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Two things come to mind:

"A well setup Ford Ranger."

"Snow tires."

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 03-14-2017, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Cars & Coffee Killer

Somewhere around 5-10 years ago, I was driving home from my in-laws. (150 miles at the time.) As we got about 50 miles outside of town, it started to snow. About 40 miles out it was snowing hard. 30 miles out I had to reduce speed and run in the ruts of the car in front of me. It is flat and traffic was moving at 50-55 mph.

I had moved to the left lane when the snow was light, not sticking, and the pavement was dry to pass a semi, and found myself more or less trapped in the left lane as there was about 6 inches of snow everywhere but the wheel ruts. Like I said, traffic was moving at 50-55 mph. 20 miles outside of town, a Jeep Grand Cherokee comes charging up on me and riding my @$$. Then he backs off, then he charges me and rides my @$$. I wasn't going to switch to the right lane in heavy snow and I couldn't go any faster than the car in front of me (which I was following about 100 yards behind--the closest I was comfortable with).

Well, Mr, Jeep apparently got tired of me doing a reasonable speed for conditions and not putting myself in danger by switching lanes. He backed off again, and came roaring up. It looked to me like he was doing 90 mph in my rearview mirror as he was closing fast. He attempts to cut into the right lane to go around me and starts fishtailing as he passes me. I gently apply the brakes to give him room and he is ahead of me in the right lane. At some point, a wheel or two catches tractions and he goes slingshotting off into the ditch and climbs the hill on the other side...leaving a glorious white rooster tail in his wake. I pass him as he comes to a stop and wave. About 5 miles out of town the accumulated snow is lighter and it is safe to move over to the right lane.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 03-14-2017, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Drive it like you stole it.
Old 03-14-2017, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Saw the same idiot this morning smoking by (as I waited at the end of my road), he must have been doing 75 mph (in a 55 zone), because his tail lights disappeared in the distance ahead of me.

I did happen to see the side of his truck today while waiting, and evidently he has musc larger mudder tires on the back, with small skinnys on the front.......Redneck !
Old 03-15-2017, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Two things come to mind:

"A well setup Ford Ranger."

"Snow tires."

Hey...I resemble that remark!
Old 03-15-2017, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevej37 View Post
The guy has some skillz!!
You know, like nunchuck skills, bow hunting skills, computer hacking skills. Girls only like guys who have great skills.

Old 03-15-2017, 04:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
If it is was really slick and I was out on the roads in my 4x4, I alway pulled the ABS fuse. I could stop very quickly by locking up the brakes, throwing it in reverse, flooring it, and letting off the brakes. I did practice though.

Now I just stay off the roads. Too many drivers that think they have skills when they actually don't.
Old 03-15-2017, 04:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post

Now I just stay off the roads. Too many drivers that think they have skills when they actually don't.
Therein lies the problem, too many people not planning on delays, who are still in a huge hurry every morning, have a total lack of patience, and have less than spectacular skills.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Putzing along on the freeway 45-50mph in a 4wd Subaru.

Slick ice conditions. Snow conditions limits the viewing distance. Night time.
About max for me and the group.
No hurry.

Three teens packed into a 80's single cab Ranger buzz by at 65-70mph.
At the next freeway curve, our pack slows to the swirly tire tracks across the road, only to find them spun out sideways across both lanes.
Everyone stops gradually.

They are smiling at us as they lay ice and then take off into the distance.
Kids.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
If it is was really slick and I was out on the roads in my 4x4, I alway pulled the ABS fuse. I could stop very quickly by locking up the brakes, throwing it in reverse, flooring it, and letting off the brakes. I did practice though.

Really??? That technique is better than ABS?
Old 03-15-2017, 06:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

^^^oh yeah...throwing it in reverse is much better than ABS. Instead of just stopping, you can go back to where it started.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: