Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i'm just gonna say it. my motorcycle....

...............isnt turning out to be as fun as i imagined.

i bought boots, and now shopping KLIM gear. its weird..i am not as excited as i was with my last motorcycle. my boots showed up from ITALY and it took a whole day for me to open the box..i just took them home yesterday. the old Cliff would have been stomping around the office with knee high dirt bike boots for the entire day right after i snatched them from the FEDex guy. (badace boots! perfect for kicking in car mirrors!)

i got raped by the Triumph dealership doing the initial tuneup..i bought the bike like a genius right before the big 12,000 mile major tuneup. i learned that that stupid service light needs an authorized computer to reset..oh great.

maybe i'm getting older. maybe it's the recent rash of helicopter rides i've seen bikers taken on near my jobsites (HWY1)..maybe the road rage? adventure bikes are kinda windy..not that slipstream experience you get from a slippery crotch rocket.

i dunno. i'm gonna give it time. do a trip. maybe to Vancouver to see what the fuss about their DimSum is all about.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

I've been through the same thing, evolving into different spectrums over the years. Since you've been there already the next experience is not so............new and exciting. You still look forward to it but now less accepting of all the downsides which were not as noticeable then, but that's OK.

Once you and the bike are ready - all the good things about owning and riding a bike will surface.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 06-29-2017, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

It's called growing up. Going through the stages of life, if you will.
Old 06-29-2017, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Motion and Wayner are going to show me how it is done on the way to Alaska. I will be waving and cheering them on......
Old 06-29-2017, 09:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Hell, I've ridden Ducs my whole life. Lately I've been looking at Harleys.....*sigh*
Old 06-29-2017, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I've got Klim Badlands dayglow jacket and black pants for sale if you're interested.
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 06-29-2017, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vash, nothing is as fun as it used to be when you get older. The shine is gone and you have a lot more miles under your belt. Its normal. Doesn't mean it can't be enjoyable. If you're not enjoying it, and constantly thinking about getting hurt, then sell the bike. Its not for you.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
cycling has-been

Plus...the amount of idiots on the road grows exponentially with the rate of cell phone sales, and accident avoidance systems built into cars that recognize other vehicles and not two wheelers.

Riding isn't the care-free, wind-in-the-hair, bugs-in-the-teeth experience it was 10-20 years ago.

Sad.

Bill K
Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
if you still want to sell? (and these guys dont want them)
How much ?
What size?
a pic perhaps?
Thanx
I'll get some pics tonight, size, etc.
2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 06-29-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkreigsr View Post
Plus...the amount of idiots on the road grows exponentially with the rate of cell phone sales, and accident avoidance systems built into cars that recognize other vehicles and not two wheelers.

Riding isn't the care-free, wind-in-the-hair, bugs-in-the-teeth experience it was 10-20 years ago.

Sad.

Bill K
I would respectfully disagree that anything has changed in the last 10-20 years, having riden most of those years. People definitely get older and change, though. That's undeniable.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
Me too BTDT.
I did not leave anything in Alaska I will ever need again.
I hope a moose does not get pissed at them, and the skeeters do not carry them away.
I did warn them.
When I used to work in a mine on the surface of United Keno Hill mines back in 1966 which is located 200 miles north of Whitehorse Yukon territory what I noticed more was the lack of single women in the mining camp and I was not allowed to drink coz I was not yet 21.

What I did not notice were the mosquitoes . I noticed that all roads were gravel and not a motor bike was in sight. Times have changed and many more roads are paved but not all. The mosquitoes will be there though and the women won't likely be there much.
If I had time to do it again I would have spent time panning for gold and smelling the roses or the jackpines. There should not be too many vehicles once up there which is a plus for the motorbikers......
Old 06-29-2017, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
...............isnt turning out to be as fun as i imagined.

i bought boots, and now shopping KLIM gear. its weird..i am not as excited as i was with my last motorcycle. my boots showed up from ITALY and it took a whole day for me to open the box..i just took them home yesterday. the old Cliff would have been stomping around the office with knee high dirt bike boots for the entire day right after i snatched them from the FEDex guy. (badace boots! perfect for kicking in car mirrors!)

i got raped by the Triumph dealership doing the initial tuneup..i bought the bike like a genius right before the big 12,000 mile major tuneup. i learned that that stupid service light needs an authorized computer to reset..oh great.

maybe i'm getting older. maybe it's the recent rash of helicopter rides i've seen bikers taken on near my jobsites (HWY1)..maybe the road rage? adventure bikes are kinda windy..not that slipstream experience you get from a slippery crotch rocket.

i dunno. i'm gonna give it time. do a trip. maybe to Vancouver to see what the fuss about their DimSum is all about.
What bike did you buy? Tiger?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now in 993 land ...

Garage
The fact that you sold your SC should have been an indication that internal combustion hobbies may have jumped the shark?

Time to get back on the MTB instead! Or a real dirt bike!

G
Old 06-29-2017, 11:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
beancounter

I've been riding for >25 years. Several years ago I sold my Ducati (after 18 years ownership) and was moto-less for a couple years. One year ago I dove back in deep, but this time as a motorcycle commuter. Daily riding, 170 miles per day, rain, shine, 29 degrees to 100 degrees Fahrenheit. I don't ride "just for fun" anymore, don't have the time really, but I'm having as much (or more) fun on my motorcycles now because I have a newfound appreciation for their utility and efficiency as a daily conveyance.

Change it up if you need to.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Checked out

I know where you're coming from.
I almost never ride just for pleasure anymore.
I do ride a lot (pretty much every day), and enjoy it, but it's almost all commuting.
Kill 2 birds with one stone. Have fun riding, and get to work!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I wish I rode my bike today. It's been super hot lately (over 107 for the past two weeks) and now it's down to 100. Hard to believe 100 feels cool.

Anyway, I need to get some mesh gear because I don't like to ride without jacket and pants but in this weather, I loose a pound in sweat every time I ride.

To the original poster: Find a great mountain twisty road and go out for a ride. I recently rode my bike to Utah and on the way back, going thru the Tacahpi Mountains in CA, I had the most joyful rid of my life. About 60-80 miles of peacefull, giant sweeping curves, both uphill and down. I never went below 100mph and it was sheer bliss. I had one car that was racing me and every now and then I allowed him to catch me, briefly, but then reminded him that I was still winning . I still get chills just thinking about it. Something like that should renew your enthusiam about riding as there are still some great roads out there.
'16 BMW R Nine T, '17 BMW G310R, '21 BMW R1250RS
Old 06-29-2017, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

Times change people change . I rode dirt and street bikes back in the day sold my last street bike when we had our first son . I had not been on a bike for 30 years and got the itch again . Bought a very nice used BMW airhead and hit the road . Wow in my mind EVERYTHING had changed . Cars seemed closer , my reactions were slower and I quickly found out I had lost my nerve for riding . At least I was smart enough to recognize it before I hurt myself or others . Sold the bike and haven't looked back .
Old 06-29-2017, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
I've got Klim Badlands dayglow jacket and black pants for sale if you're interested.
YES. pm inbound
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
what model jacket and pant?

the Latitude? i am pretty much Large large in both tops and bottoms. and HOW MUCH?
Old 06-29-2017, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
what model jacket and pant?

the Latitude? i am pretty much Large large in both tops and bottoms. and HOW MUCH?
Badlands Pro. I'll get sizes and pics tonight when I get home.
Gotta sell my bike too.

2015 981 Cayman S
Old Subaru
Old 06-29-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: