Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I'll play. Gotta love those axles, always trying to touch the ground...
Old 08-21-2017, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #41 (permalink)

Garage
A friend was telling me about his truck, so I'm adding it here

Here's the deal with the Discovery 2:

I don't consider it an "unreliable" vehicle. Mine has never left me stranded, and I've taken it through seriously rugged terrain in all seasons. The closest it got to stranding me was when the crank position sensor went bad. Truck wouldn't start. I called a tow truck, but before it got there, I tried to start it again, and it worked. Once the sensor cooled off, it worked. It was a $30 part. I panicked and paid my Rover garage to fix it, but I could have easily done it myself.

The Disco 2 is not necessarily unreliable, but it is not a low maintenance vehicle. It needs a vigilant owner who stays on top of things. Always check fluid levels. Changes in levels can mean something is going wrong, and once the problems start, they can rapidly turn into major issues. I think that's a difference between a Euro truck like the Disco and a Jap truck like a Land Cruiser. Both need maintenance, but the Cruiser is more tolerant of bad treatment and will limp along for longer without completely failing. The Disco needs an owner who fixes thing quickly, and doesn't wait around hoping it might get better on its own. When a part goes bad, you swap it out immediately.

A good thing about the Disco is that its weak points are well known at this point, and there are fixes out there for all of them:

Head gaskets. These should be considered a regular maintenance item. They go bad by 90-110K miles, maybe sooner, maybe later. Mine lasted until 122K miles, but that seems to be an outlier. When they start to fail the engine will consume coolant and pressurize the recovery tank. It needs to be fixed or it will kill the engine. The gaskets themselves are not that expensive, but it's a lot of labor to take the heads off and get in there. Usually the front engine cover gaskets and valve gaskets are replaced at that time too. The decks should also be machined to ensure they're true. It cost me $3,500 for the job at a not cheap but good indy shop. It's possible to do it yourself, but it's definitely a big job.

A lot of Discos died an early death because their owners didn't expect their trucks to need head gaskets or were oblivious to the signs of the gaskets failing, and kept driving until the engines grenaded.

Being leaky. The Rover 4.0/4.6L V8 is notorious for being leaky, as in, it leaks oil all the time. That reputation is not really deserved. My '03 has 154K miles and it doesn't leak a drop. Most of the leaks come from valve cover bolts that get loose (it's easy to tighten them, though you need a 12-point socket). I also used Liqui Moly Oil Saver gasket treatment that did an awesome job of sealing any tiny leaks. It's been bone dry ever since

Front driveshaft. The original driveshaft as provided by the factory is a sealed unit that has no nipples for greasing it. The problem is that it's next to the exhaust and it gets hot, which cooks out the grease, which can cause the driveshaft to fail. If it fails it will snap and can puncture the transmission housing while the truck is in motion. The fix is installing an aftermarket shaft that has greasable zerk fittings, and greasing it at every oil change. My aftermarket shaft cost $350 and was an easy install. Been fine for years.

The "three amigos." That's the internet forum term for a fault in the ABS sensors that causes three warning lights on the dash to light up and a chime to sound. The sensors are hyper-sensitive and go off if they get contaminated with dust, and when the lights go off it makes it seem like the world is ending, but nothing is actually wrong. The fix is a $58 shuttle valve and a well-publicized rewiring. I did this years ago and they haven't gone off since (and the ABS still works fine).

The rest is just replacing sensors and parts when they fail, and being vigilant about replacing fluids with quality synthetics. Don't cheap out on the fluids. I use Castrol 5W-50 high-zinc synthetic (same as the 944) which the truck seems to like. There are also some longevity tricks like replacing the thermostat with a 180 degree one and using Amsoil heavy duty coolant.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #42 (permalink)

i have a 2016 RRSport Diesel. Can't be happier. The issues so far have stemmed from the electronic interface for music and what not. Been a great truck. Pulls like a train, is quiet as a tomb, have had it off road in the AZ outback with no issues and its returning around 26MPG. 42k so far.
"69 912 white w/ '86 3.2L (like the pic, just not the pic)
Old 11-18-2018, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #43 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarwood View Post
A friend was telling me about his truck, so I'm adding it here

Here's the deal with the Discovery 2:

I don't consider it an "unreliable" vehicle. Mine has never left me stranded, and I've taken it through seriously rugged terrain in all seasons. The closest it got to stranding me was when the crank position sensor went bad. Truck wouldn't start. I called a tow truck, but before it got there, I tried to start it again, and it worked. Once the sensor cooled off, it worked. It was a $30 part. I panicked and paid my Rover garage to fix it, but I could have easily done it myself.

The Disco 2 is not necessarily unreliable, but it is not a low maintenance vehicle. It needs a vigilant owner who stays on top of things. Always check fluid levels. Changes in levels can mean something is going wrong, and once the problems start, they can rapidly turn into major issues. I think that's a difference between a Euro truck like the Disco and a Jap truck like a Land Cruiser. Both need maintenance, but the Cruiser is more tolerant of bad treatment and will limp along for longer without completely failing. The Disco needs an owner who fixes thing quickly, and doesn't wait around hoping it might get better on its own. When a part goes bad, you swap it out immediately.

A good thing about the Disco is that its weak points are well known at this point, and there are fixes out there for all of them:

Head gaskets. These should be considered a regular maintenance item. They go bad by 90-110K miles, maybe sooner, maybe later. Mine lasted until 122K miles, but that seems to be an outlier. When they start to fail the engine will consume coolant and pressurize the recovery tank. It needs to be fixed or it will kill the engine. The gaskets themselves are not that expensive, but it's a lot of labor to take the heads off and get in there. Usually the front engine cover gaskets and valve gaskets are replaced at that time too. The decks should also be machined to ensure they're true. It cost me $3,500 for the job at a not cheap but good indy shop. It's possible to do it yourself, but it's definitely a big job.

A lot of Discos died an early death because their owners didn't expect their trucks to need head gaskets or were oblivious to the signs of the gaskets failing, and kept driving until the engines grenaded.

Being leaky. The Rover 4.0/4.6L V8 is notorious for being leaky, as in, it leaks oil all the time. That reputation is not really deserved. My '03 has 154K miles and it doesn't leak a drop. Most of the leaks come from valve cover bolts that get loose (it's easy to tighten them, though you need a 12-point socket). I also used Liqui Moly Oil Saver gasket treatment that did an awesome job of sealing any tiny leaks. It's been bone dry ever since

Front driveshaft. The original driveshaft as provided by the factory is a sealed unit that has no nipples for greasing it. The problem is that it's next to the exhaust and it gets hot, which cooks out the grease, which can cause the driveshaft to fail. If it fails it will snap and can puncture the transmission housing while the truck is in motion. The fix is installing an aftermarket shaft that has greasable zerk fittings, and greasing it at every oil change. My aftermarket shaft cost $350 and was an easy install. Been fine for years.

The "three amigos." That's the internet forum term for a fault in the ABS sensors that causes three warning lights on the dash to light up and a chime to sound. The sensors are hyper-sensitive and go off if they get contaminated with dust, and when the lights go off it makes it seem like the world is ending, but nothing is actually wrong. The fix is a $58 shuttle valve and a well-publicized rewiring. I did this years ago and they haven't gone off since (and the ABS still works fine).

The rest is just replacing sensors and parts when they fail, and being vigilant about replacing fluids with quality synthetics. Don't cheap out on the fluids. I use Castrol 5W-50 high-zinc synthetic (same as the 944) which the truck seems to like. There are also some longevity tricks like replacing the thermostat with a 180 degree one and using Amsoil heavy duty coolant.
I bought my 04 Disco with about 110k miles on it. In the 158k miles since, I've been through two water pumps, 2 radiators (one was my fault), an alternator, 3 coolant reservoirs, 2 sets of Sparks plugs, 1 set of coil packs, a front prop shaft and a few window regulators and door lock mechanisms....but, at 268k, she still fires up immediately and runs nicely.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #44 (permalink)

Garage
L
1996 Lexus LX450 (land cruiser) awesome .... take it to Moab (southern Utah) goes anywhere....!!!!
$4000 132000 miles, my first 94 toyota 275000 miles it was awesome too..
$900 new shocks and springs, $800 bfg's
Old 11-18-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #45 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HHI944 View Post
I bought my 04 Disco with about 110k miles on it. In the 158k miles since, I've been through two water pumps, 2 radiators (one was my fault), an alternator, 3 coolant reservoirs, 2 sets of Sparks plugs, 1 set of coil packs, a front prop shaft and a few window regulators and door lock mechanisms....but, at 268k, she still fires up immediately and runs nicely.
Looks like standard maintenance to me.
That's actually not much at all for 158k.
Seems like a great car
Old 11-18-2018, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #46 (permalink)

A Secret Place

Quote:
Seems like a great car
Iím gonna regret writing this, but my wife 2003 4Runner has over 250k on it and has had nothing more than routine maintenance.

No water pumps, radiator failures, etc.

My daughters 2007 FJ is at 200k with one alternator failure.

I owned a 94 Defender 90 that was a nickel and dime machine, a thousand cuts. Never again.

The Inklings
Old 11-18-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #47 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

Quote:
Seems like a great car
Forgot about the under hood fuse box that autoignited. Replaced that for $150 with a used part. Everything else has been normal maintenance.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #48 (permalink)

Those newer Rovers are pretty unlike the last gen Land Cruisers=ugly. I have always had a Toyota truck (everyone of them were 4WD) of some kind since my early 20s. I ran them to death and they come back for more with simple maintenance like plugs and oil changes. All those horrible stories about the Land Rovers sure turn me away from them. All those stories, many of them has to be true. I would take my old Land Cruiser anywhere including across Alaska today if it was not for its head on death with a BMW. I now drive a latest gen 4runner limited. Its no Rover Luxo-boat, but it does the trick. They have grown in size (interior) just a little, which I really like. Still I wish it was a couple inches taller. 80,000 trouble free miles with my factory touch screen not working, so my nav and such is crippled. Its been like that for years now. Who needs nav?
Old 11-18-2018, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #49 (permalink)
drunk and stupid

The new Range Rovers are ridiculous. I got the chance to take a brand new supercharged one out for a spin the other day. It sounds and accelerates like a muscle car, but rides like a luxury car.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #50 (permalink)

Just an update from when this tread was started. I had an opportunity to sell my D2 for a good price and jumped. Replaced it with a new 2018 TRD 4Runner (has rear locker and all the off road goodies). Almost 10k miles in and of course zero issues. I do miss tinkering on the Rover but I am done with Land Rover (now if a nice Defender came my way). I have no doubt the 4Runner will easily make my Moab/Telluride adventure trip. Still need to do the lift/tires/armor and off we go. I miss how light the Discovery's cabin was compared to the 4Runner, but sure don't miss the worry of the next big repair. I have enough stress in my life and not worrying about what will break next on the Rover is kinda nice.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #51 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraDan View Post
I am done with Land Rover (now if a nice Defender came my way)
North American Spec (NAS) Defenders have rocketed in price, a good one is $70k+ now. But the 200Tdi & early 300Tdi are now importable (unless you live in CA). Those engines were much better than anything that came before them. My recommendation would be to try & find a straight LHD 25 yr old Defender from Italy/Spain/France that has the old weak-assed 4 banger petrol. Put a new chassis under it & drop in an LS engine (I opted for the LC9, which is the Gen IV 5.3 with 300bhp) and youíll love it. If you donít mind RHD, theyíre cheaper but youíll have a much harder time finding one that isnít rotten.

Hereís mine. Quite rare Ď85 factory V8 station wagon. RHD but I wanted it that way because itís heading to the USVI.

Lots of info on the DefenderSource forum.

Cheers,

Paul.
'89 Carrera Targa SOLD
Old 11-22-2018, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #52 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul K View Post
North American Spec (NAS) Defenders have rocketed in price, a good one is $70k+ now.
One just sold yesterday on BAT for $72.5K
Old 11-22-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #53 (permalink)
Porsche Nut

Garage
Land Criuiser is the only way to go. Whatís your budget? That will determine which model you go with.
Old 11-22-2018, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #54 (permalink)

Garage
I know this thread is 3 pages long. I did not read any of the comments but will reply to the question, Best Land Rover?......Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Just sayin.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #55 (permalink)
"farking Porsche hero"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Hahl View Post
I know this thread is 3 pages long. I did not read any of the comments but will reply to the question, Best Land Rover?......Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. Just sayin.
Last week I drove both an Evoque and a Discovery Sport. Both are very nice and capable. Both are stupid expensive and come from a long line of ridiculously unreliable vehicles.

The best Land Rover is the one that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.
'66 911 #303872
'07 Cayman
'58 Land Rover S2 88"
Old 11-23-2018, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHI944 View Post
The new Range Rovers are ridiculous. I got the chance to take a brand new supercharged one out for a spin the other day. It sounds and accelerates like a muscle car, but rides like a luxury car.
My buddy (who has driven Tahoes and the like forever) got a new Velar a year or so ago. I've not driven it but have ridden in it numerous times. Seems like a nice vehicle...time will tell if it holds up, but he never puts more than about 75k before he trades.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #57 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lambert View Post
Last week I drove both an Evoque and a Discovery Sport. Both are very nice and capable. Both are stupid expensive and come from a long line of ridiculously unreliable vehicles.

The best Land Rover is the one that puts a smile on your face every time you drive it.
Gotta say, I love Rich's Land Rover. My dog, Ed, loves Rich's Land Rover. If I were ever going to do it, it would have to be one like Rich's. Ed would settle for nothing less.
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 11-23-2018, 03:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #58 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Lambert View Post

I want the wagon version of this so badly.
Old 11-23-2018, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #59 (permalink)
What?!?!

Garage
Lots of great posts. Hard to believe its already Thanksgiving. I haven't touched my LR yet. Life has been rather busy.

I know without question I could go out and buy a much, much more capable off road vehicle for less $$. I really dig my Outback ( plan on keeping it for light duty ), but it's just not the same.

More fun to drive a slow car fast, than drive a fast car slow, right? I keep thinking about having the 109 on the road, belting along at a breakneck 58.2mph, leaning forward, gritting' my teeth, white knuckle grip on the wheel...lovin' every minute of it...just like Rich said.

So down the rabbit hole I go, bags of cash flinging about like I'm in Congress.
I'll keep you posted.

Old 11-24-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #60 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: