Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Sorry but they are trying to **** you, hard.

https://www.carmax.com/search#Distance=all&ExposedCategories=249+250+1001+1000+265+999+772&ExposedDimensions=249+250+1001+1000+265+999+772&MaxYear=2015&MinYear=2014&Page=1&PerPage=20&Refinements=4294963153+4294963142+4294961468&SortKey=14&Zip=75093

I'd tell them to come back with a realistic offer by Friday because on Monday you are calling your attorney.

Last edited by stomachmonkey; 09-13-2017 at 07:30 PM..
Old 09-13-2017, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Go with the make you whole argument.
Ask them to find an exact replacement.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I disagree on lawyering up at this point on property damage only. The lawyer will want 30% or more, unless you pay out of pocket which may also cost you that much. So, you will need to make 30% more of what you consider fair. Sure, you'll stick it to the insurance, but turn around and hand the money to a lawyer.

In the example I wrote about, I got within 10% of what I considered fair. If I had hired a lawyer, the only way to get the same amount would probably have been to claim injuries we didn't have etc. and in the end just run everyone's rates up.

G
Old 09-13-2017, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I would want fair market value for the car, prior to the collision. I would probably be ok with fair market value, prior to the collision less the $1,000 deductible. I wouldn't be happy with trade in value with or without the deductible.

But by far, I wouldn't keep the car, way too much bad juju for me to ride around with, but would suggest for those that could perhaps a set of straight pipes for the Toyota would be acceptable to you know, warn the cyclists.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by aigel View Post
I disagree on lawyering up at this point on property damage only. The lawyer will want 30% or more, unless you pay out of pocket which may also cost you that much. So, you will need to make 30% more of what you consider fair. Sure, you'll stick it to the insurance, but turn around and hand the money to a lawyer.

In the example I wrote about, I got within 10% of what I considered fair. If I had hired a lawyer, the only way to get the same amount would probably have been to claim injuries we didn't have etc. and in the end just run everyone's rates up.

G
The point is they know the threat of attorney will leave you no worse off than accepting their lame offer and will cost them more in payout as well as their own costs to deal with it.

It makes it more sensible for them to offer a more equitable / fair settlement.

Basically, you lose nothing, they lose more.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
The point is they know the threat of attorney will leave you no worse off than accepting their lame offer and will cost them more in payout as well as their own costs to deal with it.

It makes it more sensible for them to offer a more equitable / fair settlement.

Basically, you lose nothing, they lose more.
You will have to pay the lawyer. I am not following. The lawyer will get 150% of what you can get as an individual with some persistence and legwork?

I DO agree that insurance companies try to low ball and do it fast, so the people that are strapped for cash and need a new car ASAP sign right away.

In my case, I waited about 6 months before I settled. I told them I already had a new car and had time to get what I was owed. They get nervous eventually.

G
Old 09-13-2017, 10:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

I'm a retired attorney, and I wouldn't advise an attorney at this point. Not over 1k. If there's personal injury involved, most will do the pd for free, but otherwise it doesn't pay for the client.

So, yes...by all means you're entitled to fair market value. There are several guides, and NADA is low. Ask them to check "redbook" value or show them some sales (asking prices don't really count, although carmax is better than usual b/c they don't negotiate). They should at least average these values. Again, I would certainly explore whether the bike's insurer had liability coverage, they don't have a deductible.
2000 K1200rs (gone, due to above)
Old 09-14-2017, 05:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

They need to explain why $1k is coming off of the top unless her deductible is actually that high.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 09-14-2017, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Any one else getting this ad at the top of the page?

'06 911 S Aerokit - since 5/2/2016
'83 SC Targa - since 5/5/2001
Old 09-14-2017, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Yep. Getting it at the bottom of the page, too.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Love that ad!

DESERVE

That's about the worst word out there.

"Get the xxx that you deserve". I can hear the spoiled brat in that sentence. Smell it, almost taste it!

I doubt a lawyer can get you 40k instead of 7 unless there is injury involved and you sign up with an ambulance chaser that sends you to their doc and chiro etc. Not something I'd support.

G
Old 09-14-2017, 11:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Doesn't the at fault driver's insurance cover the deductible? It does up here....
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fintstone
Since your car was rear-ended...they will want her to sign paper that there is no injuries...be careful not to do that too fast. Ask daughter and passenger if they have back or neck pain. Most folks are understandably sore. They should report that. Also pay attention for mental trauma (as they were involved in a death...even though it was no fault of theirs). Eventually they will offer some money for you to do so...usually $500 to $1000. If they try to screw you badly on the car, that gives you some leverage...and might make up any difference.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Party at-fault's insurance should be paying. No deductible as they should pay 100%. If both parties have the same insurance company, there should still be no deductible on her car. I would suggest that the motorcyclists insurance company also put your daughter into a rental car immediately until the compensation issue is resolved.

Now if the motorcycle had no insurance...that's another story.

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 09-15-2017, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

I went to true car...got pretty much the same prices stomachmonkey got. Yes, depending on the car's year and mileage, you are definitely being lowballed.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

When it comes time to negotiate with the insurance company, ask them for a copy of the valuation report they had done on the car. They should be able to provide it to you, it will allow you to research it and start poking holes in their numbers.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Got more info

The car is (was) a 2012 Camry SE with 98,342 miles on it. My daughter informs me that it had prior damage to the front grill unrelated to this accident. Not sure how much they knocked off for the prior damage but i'm thinking their 9957.09 figure may not be off by much.

Daughter has also checked with the dealer she bought the car from and she does have gap Ins.

No police report has been issued as yet.
Old 09-15-2017, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete3799 View Post
Got more info

The car is (was) a 2012 Camry SE with 98,342 miles on it. My daughter informs me that it had prior damage to the front grill unrelated to this accident. Not sure how much they knocked off for the prior damage but i'm thinking their 9957.09 figure may not be off by much.

Daughter has also checked with the dealer she bought the car from and she does have gap Ins.

No police report has been issued as yet.
Okay then. I based my price search on 2014 LE's...I'd say pay the car off and move on. Hope she isn't too shaken about the fatality...
Old 09-15-2017, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

yeah that changes the story a bit but I think the car is still worth 11-12k retail if in otherwise good condition
Old 09-15-2017, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBAtarga View Post
Any one else getting this ad at the top of the page?

Nope; uBlock Origin takes care of that BS for me
Various VWs
Old 09-15-2017, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: