Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
my backyard landscape remodel..

oh well.

if all goes well, it should finish today. i'll come up with a punchlist over the weekend.

what an interesting ordeal. we started the ball rolling when my wife decided she likes to entertain friends. she wanted a grownup backyard. with our mild weather, she wanted to take the party outside. we found a landscaper guy that does a lot of the Sonoma Wineries. we like that style. it was a long wait time. he did our front yard (relatively plain and cost effective), and went away to do some big winery job. finally, we got our numbered called. it was like military precision how they came in and scraped my backyard clean. by hand!! day-one was the point of no return. so naturally things changed since our first napkin sketches..the biggie? wife got a dog. we had to rethink a few things..like added a fenced in section for poop/pee activities. we changed up some plant ideas. the cost BALLOONED!! we got up to change order #4. hahaha.. we found that the entire backyard was covered with 4" of decomposed gravel. we had to pull it up by hand. $$..luckily, we found a person that wanted it and hauled it off for us for free. saved me the huge disposal and hauling fee.

well, there went my new truck budget. !@#$!@$#!#@%$!!

and we havent even set foot in an outdoor furniture store.

oh..in about 2 weeks, the neighbors tree will puke all the leaves right into my backyard. haha.. and we opted for two (CHEAP) horse watering trough flower pots.. i will eventually remove them and put in two welded steel plate boxes that i will DIY. i love how the sheets rust and texture..look for my welding thread later.

pics later. (before-after)
Old 10-06-2017, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
and my wife got her Boston IVY. i'll buy a Stihl hedger soon.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Might I suggest bamboo instead ?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Just be SURE to get Boston ivy and not poison ivy!
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 10-06-2017, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Yep change orders are a big deal and $$$. Why did you remove the DG that your landscaper added?

We took out the grass on one end of our backyard, added concrete/boulder/stone hardscape and finished with compacted DG (decomposed granite). Simple to maintain (leaf blower) and economical with water. Our dog has no problems going on the compacted DG and it's easy for us to clean up after him. We intend to replicate this in our front yard once the hotter days are behind us. Other than the concrete and boulders the wife and I did the rest over the course of a couple months.

Before

After (different angle of course)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
Why did you remove the DG that your landscaper added?
no..they dug down and found my yard already covered entirely with DG. the PO simply cored thru everywhere she wanted a plant. the only place without DG was the old bamboo hedge..which ironically stemmed the bamboo invasion a bit..but it did force runners to go for 10's of feet. it was like 6 yards of DG. expensive going in, expensive coming out.

your yard looks amazing.
Old 10-06-2017, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
Yep change orders are a big deal and $$$. Why did you remove the DG that your landscaper added?

We took out the grass on one end of our backyard, added concrete/boulder/stone hardscape and finished with compacted DG (decomposed granite). Simple to maintain (leaf blower) and economical with water. Our dog has no problems going on the compacted DG and it's easy for us to clean up after him. We intend to replicate this in our front yard once the hotter days are behind us. Other than the concrete and boulders the wife and I did the rest over the course of a couple months.

Before

After (different angle of course)
We want to do something like this with our front yard, only problem is we will need a contractor and I'm afraid of what it will cost.
Old 10-06-2017, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Scott, I have a guy for you. he's not expensive, but need to be told exactly what to do and his crew will do it. He's no contractor (at least I don't think) but does good honest work. His price is creeping upwards a little in the past couple of years. He does all our flips. We put in a rand new front and back right before it goes on the market. Now sure if he will go down there? I know lots of gardeners are hungry because everyone's going drought resistant plants and rock gardens so they have make up that money somehow.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

I've accepted the landscape chaos theory and have deferred to the ultimate power of mother nature.

Every year, it's always something different going wrong:
-Dog pee of death 24/7.
-Tomatoe blight. Powdery mildew. Some other random.
-Too hot. Too cold.
-Didn't water. Didn't fertilize. Didn't maintain acidity at a constant 3.4-4.1ph. Didn't whatever.
-Moles coming back after the cat got 10-15 of them bastids.
-Groundhogs eating the entire whole yard in a few days.
-Deer in the front yard that I can't eat.
-Everything ruined. All carefully laid out plans go out the window. Again. Uggh. I give up.

Last edited by john70t; 10-06-2017 at 02:40 PM..
Old 10-06-2017, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Scott, I have a guy for you. he's not expensive, but need to be told exactly what to do and his crew will do it. He's no contractor (at least I don't think) but does good honest work. His price is creeping upwards a little in the past couple of years. He does all our flips. We put in a rand new front and back right before it goes on the market. Now sure if he will go down there? I know lots of gardeners are hungry because everyone's going drought resistant plants and rock gardens so they have make up that money somehow.
That is what we are shooting for, will he do the drought resistant stuff? Lay pavers or flat rock paths? I'm thinking some planters with succulents/cactus/etc and drip irrigation. With some boulders and rock decoration.
Old 10-06-2017, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Scott, realize that boulders, rock, flagstone, are pretty pricey and can be difficult to move. The DG I ordered is something like $15 a sq/yd but delivery is $100. So I order 5 yards at a time and take 2 weeks to get it where it needs to be on my own. That does not include the weed barrier fabric and ground spikes. My hardscape guy was quoting high costs for step stones (fancy flagstone) on the right of the photos you see. They are top quality but also need ~ 270 lbs of concrete to set in place for each...digging not included...which my son and I did. I bought all the material on my own and transported to my house for a DIY project. It's not complex, but it is labor intensive. I get joy from sweating and working to improve my property...others may not.

Drip line irrigation...the bane of my existence. Forgo the adjustable crap and go full stream. Cap each line with a cheap gallon per hour emitter and call it a day. Bury the lines from the source to the plant so that careless walkers/animals/landscapers can't mess them up. You only need to bury the lines 2-3" to keep them safe. Also it extends life due to sun rot and hardening.

Last edited by JavaBrewer; 10-06-2017 at 04:18 PM..
Old 10-06-2017, 04:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: