Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Somewhere in the Midwest

We hired MotoLao out of Luang Prabang, Laos. Given the country and its level of modernization, the guide who took us around for 6 days did a great job. It was an epic trip, and I plan to go back and maybe doing it myself. Just renting a bike and go.

In Laos the largest displacement allowed to register is 250cc. We rode CRF250s and they were plenty fast for a country full of trucks, goats, chickens, children and buffalo that normally wander the roads. While we were there we encountered other riding groups, some with large bikes 1200 BWMs. They apparently rode them from Thailand. I've been talking with some folks I met while we were there and you can cross borders, but it isn't always smooth. You might get lucky one day, but don't bet on it the next day. It's definitely something to ask about once you select a tour company.

We hired a chase truck to haul our luggage around, and it was worth it. It probably added $20/day to our overall cost per person. Without hauling your luggage around the 250cc's were just fine. All but once, we were the fastest things on the roads. The one time....a kid blew by us on a hot scooter! LOL

The roads are not like our roads, so you won't be doing interstate speeds. You don't want to given the traffic hazards. It's not traffic like we are use to but you get use to it and you mitigate risk accordingly.

The area is a beautiful and exotic. If you don't mind the lack of modern accomodations you'll love it.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Somewhere in the Midwest

Just a few pictures from our trip...

Old 12-04-2017, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
cool trip.

i did it in a van.
Old 12-04-2017, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Oh WOW!!!!!

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Yeah, that sounds excellent. I really want to do something like this, thanks for the info.
Old 12-05-2017, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

these photos are great !wow
Old 12-06-2017, 02:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: