Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on Outdoor TV Antennas

I'm dumping Direct TV. My box in the living room went on the blink 3 months ago and won't even turn on. My bedroom box still works. I've been meaning to call Direct TV but I've procrastinated. During the last 3 months, I've been watching Netflix and YouTube in the living room (as well as paying $122 per month). I also discovered that there are many live streaming channels on YouTube that enables me to watch the news that is virtually identical as what I was getting on Direct TV (i.e., Fox, CNN, MSNBC, etc). Since I'm a news junkie, that is what I primarily watch on TV; that and movies.

So, I bought an HDTV Antenna (DB8e - photos below). The directions have you mount on the roof (can use existing Direct TV mast and coax), and then has you aim towards brocasting stations using an app on your phone. The directions state to avoid tall trees (which I have many).

What really throws me thru a loop, the directions state that this can be mounted in an attic. How does that work, especially when they say to avoid tall trees?? You'd think that the attic would obstruct more than trees.

I'm planning on mounting mine outside but I'm just wondering how the attic mount works.

'74 911 Coupe - Silber Metalic (963-93), PMO ITB Injection and Electromotive Management
'88 944 Coupe - Nougat Brown Metalic
'74 914 Targa - Light Gray 2.0
Old 11-08-2017, 08:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

depends on how far the stations are from your location
and local features like trees hills if your location is in a valley or dip or up on a hill

and if the various station ant's are clustered near each other
or all in different directions then weak/far one may need a rotor

btw a normal old fashion ant will work if pointed correctly or rotated
heck rabbit ears work fine if close to the sending ant
Old 11-08-2017, 09:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

btw attic pic shows OSB a very poor roof material
I hate that stuff
Old 11-08-2017, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidybuoy View Post
.......... You'd think that the attic would obstruct more than trees.
First off, you are correct in assuming mounting on the outside is better than in the attic. I'm not sure how much better but I read some article on TV Fool dot com a few years ago that tried to explain it.

Trees are obstructions just as other building are, but what really scatters a signal is each leaf osculating in the wind, another reason windy days can be murder on reception.

Even when the leaves fall off, the branches are still moving like chaff confusing a heat or radar seeking missile coming after a F18 Hornet.

https://www.metabunk.org/weatherman-acknowledges-militarys-dumping-of-chaff-into-the-atmosphere.t3931/

Think of each leaf a reflector.

Think of yourself trying to get someone's attention with a mirror, it's going work better if you move it around a bit. Like each flash of light is a distraction to your normal sight, each fluttering of the TV signal disturbs reception.

This is also why you don't want your antenna mast pole to sway too much.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 11-08-2017 at 10:26 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage
I have a very small powered antenna for my TV. It's currently under my couch. It works great. Crystal clear reception of all the local stations. I also get some goofy channels like BUZZR that airs old game shows from the 70's and 80's. Oddly, I find that channel very entertaining.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01IN26Z5A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Do you need such a large outdoor antenna?

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 11-08-2017, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

It all depends on how far you are from the transmitting antennas and the total obstructions between.

The website www.tvfool.com has a way to show you what you can expect. Check your specific location for directions to point the antenna, what channels you can expect to receive and the channel signal quality.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
entertaining the idea

Garage

Forgot to post a picture.

a well set-up 1983 Guards Red 944
Old 11-08-2017, 10:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a ClearStream 4v and have it sitting on the floor of my living room, right next to my tv. It pulls in reception from 50 miles away through 3 interior walls and a brick exterior wall. But we live on a hill with no trees blocking the signals.

It was supposed to go outside but I've never found a good spot for it. And it works just fine inside so why move it? I figure it'll last longer protected from the elements anyway.

The only time I have problems with reception is if someone is running a vacuum between the antenna and outside or when there's a massive storm between the towers and my antennas. Other than that, it works perfectly.

It has definitely paid for itself over and over again and I regret not getting it years prior. If it's not on the 35 channels I get over the air, I can watch online via Netflix, Amazon or YT. I don't miss the cable at all.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This is my digital antenna. I bought it a Menards. On sale and with the rebate it cost me $0.50 It gets 4 of the 5 available digital signals. One of which originates 35 miles away from me.

The 5th signal I found out didn't upgrade their digital transmitter like all the other did when they had to. They met the basic government regulations so didn't bother. They are also owned by a cable TV supplier. So why would they give away a product they want to charge for?

Old 11-09-2017, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I wouldn't worry too much about trees and stuff. I "aimed" my one at the transmitter tower on the hill 15 miles away and it worked fine. Then a while later we had a storm and the antenna got blown off the mount and was lying on the roof - and still worked fine.
Old 11-09-2017, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: