Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

8 ball is a tough game

Especially on a little 7' bar table. On a 9' table playing shape is easier, because the balls are more separated giving wider windows for good position. Okay, aiming is easier for some on the smaller table, allowing for less accurate shooting. But overall, it's tougher on a bar box. I much prefer playing on a larger table. I also don't like playing in bars...drunks and the accompanying noise distract me.

This guy, generally considered the best player in the USA, doesn't seem to care about table size. His control of the cue ball is simply amazing. When watching, pay attention to the cue ball. His shot making ability is a given. Here it is...a short 20 minute video of him breaking, then running out, 8 times in a row. Note how he studies the table after the break, spots the patterns an potential problem balls, then goes to work. Early on, he fooled the announcer...because he sees solutions to difficulties that other top players don't.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dee4fgxEC68

(edit) According to the latest Fargo ratings, he and one other player are rated the best in the world. Fargo rating is a computer ranking of tournament participating pool players. The other top player is in China.
(edit again) Fargo rating constantly revised based on last tournament results. Shane now stands alone as the best in the world.
http://www.fargorate.com/top-ten-lists

Last edited by pwd72s; 11-11-2017 at 11:20 AM..
Old 11-10-2017, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I learned on a 9' table but I was 13 years old then - now that I'm in my 50s, I prefer the shorter tables for their easier sightlines, even if its a bit more crowded. I still plan to get one for the house and it'll likely be a 6-footer.
Old 11-11-2017, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The video table is a 7' Diamond. Used in most of the bar box tournaments these days. Much better playing than the old Valley brand coin-ops found in most bars.
Old 11-11-2017, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Played pool a LOT in college. Mostly at a particular bar that had 2 of the 7ft coin op tables. The owner always kept good cues so nobody brought one. We usually played for the next beer.

There was this one guy that would just sit and watch the games. Every once in a while he would get all excited and ask the shooter to hit a particular ball in a particular place with a particular english. Everyone did it because you usually got 3 of your balls with that shot.

There was also a guy we called the Postman. It was because, well, he was a postal carrier. If you couldn't sink the 8 in two times at the table, he won.

Playing the postman got me free beer and pool at that bar. I played him and it was close and I actually beat him a couple of times. The owner said he noticed that but also noticed when I played other people it was also close and I didn't have the reputation of running the table on people like the Postman. Said I was good for the bar. Told me I could buy a pitcher of beer with a ten and ask for change for the table. Whomever was working the bar would give me the beer, change for the table, and my ten back.

Real pool players say 7 ball is more about skill and they introduce 8 ball competition when 7 ball players just take turns running the table. 8 ball adds more chance to the game.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 11-12-2017 at 01:25 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 01:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Add a degree of difficulty and play "bank the 8" or for real fun the 8 has to be with your off hand or behind the back. I used to win a lot of beers playing pool. I'd walk into a bar, buy my first drink, put my quarters on the table and normally not have to buy another beer the entire night. I haven't played pool for too long though and lost my touch.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
The Stick

Garage
Played pool with a friend a few years ago. We played regularly for a couple of years. Had to buy a cue to get any kind of consistency. That's when he got everyone calling me "The Stick." He brought his own cue from day one.

Last edited by RKDinOKC; 11-12-2017 at 02:16 PM..
Old 11-12-2017, 02:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post
Had to buy a cue to get any kind of consistency.
That makes sense given you can drop a lot of coin into one of them. There has to be something to that.

I took billiards and bowling at Kent State as my PE electives.

I was a pretty solid player making shots that actually aligned with my thinking (and training) for about six months afterwards. Stopped playing. Went straight to hell.

Bowling? Bowled a 212 with a good normal score of 150. Not sustainable without working it.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKDinOKC View Post

Real pool players say 7 ball is more about skill and they introduce 8 ball competition when 7 ball players just take turns running the table. 8 ball adds more chance to the game.
9 ball and 10 ball, both rotation games, are popular with tournaments now. The video I posted was from a 3 day matchup between Shane Van Boening, and Earl Strickland, also a many times champion in any pool game. They played a day of 9 ball, a day of 10 ball, a day of 8 ball. Race to 30 games won each day. Shane won easily, but he's in his prime while Earl is definitely not.

Of course, there is debate...but rotation games are ALL about playing shape since the object balls must be struck in numerical order. 8 ball is a more strategic game because of the choices offered. Luck plays a factor in both.

The game with the least luck and most skill? As far as I'm concerned, the game Willie Mosconi holds the world record at..with 526 balls run. That would be 14-1, aka "straight pool". Willie died decades ago. Many players since have made official (witnessed & documented) attempts at this record. John Schmidt made it to 400 some years back. A run of 150-160 is considered damned good...
Old 11-12-2017, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: