Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Pickup Truck Advice

All,
I searched for this top but didn't find anything significant so I hope it hasn't been addressed differently. I like asking this forum because of the knowledge and experience. Hopefully, I can find a consensus among the replies I receive.

So, here's the deal. My 2003 Acura MDX will probably need a new transmission. It would be transmission number 2 (the first replaced under warranty many miles ago). With 290K miles on the clock, two engines, a failing transmission I'm pretty much done putting money into this SUV. Unfortunately, I just replaced the shocks and struts a few months ago. Anyway, I've never owned a pickup truck but always wanted one. I've narrowed my choices down to the big two, Ford or Chevy.

Why do I need PU you ask? Mostly for second vehicle that offers a lot of utility. I have five motorcycles and attend a good number of shows per year. The shows that are too far from home I will trailer my bike(s). I carry tons of baseball equipment for working out my son. And of course the occasional trip to the dump or appliance purchase. Basically, I need more than a single cab but four doors are not necessary. I also would like a standard sized bed.

My questions are the following:
ē Ford or Chevy? I can go either way but would like to have a reason for my choice.
ē 4x2 or 4x4? Iím thinking I probably donít need a 4x4 but it could come in handy in the very infrequent snow trips.
o Is a 4x4 more maintenance?
ē V6 or V8? Ford has the choice of 2.7L V6, 3.5L V6 and EcoBoost and 5L V8. Chevy has the 4.3L V6, and 5.3 and 6.2L V8.

I havenít discussed price but I donít need a fully loaded truck. If going with Ford it would be a XL trim level and for Chevy LS level. This would probably hit the low to mid $30s nicely equipped. Let me know what you guys think and if there are any other features that are an absolute must have.

Thanks

Old 12-08-2017, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

If it would work for you, I'd wonder about a diesel Colorado. I'd also like whatever I bought to have some sort of limited slip rear differential and 4 wheel disc brakes. Lastly, I'd buy used.

Last edited by pavulon; 12-08-2017 at 07:11 PM..
Old 12-08-2017, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavulon View Post
If it would work for you, I'd wonder about a diesel Colorado. I'd also like whatever I bought to have some sort of limited slip rear differential and 4 wheel disc brakes. Lastly, I'd buy used.
I hadn't thought much about fuel but may want to go with gas.

Yes, transmission and differential are questions also. Will need to do some research.

I know buying used will save some bucks but I'm leaning towards new.
Old 12-08-2017, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
If you go with a full size Chevy, they will be all new for 2019. I like the Colorado too. Also, it seems the sticker price for new vehicles is just a wild number they hope for. Its not unusual to hear of guys getting incentives that knock $10k off the sticker.
Old 12-08-2017, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDidley View Post
If you go with a full size Chevy, they will be all new for 2019. I like the Colorado too. Also, it seems the sticker price for new vehicles is just a wild number they hope for. Its not unusual to hear of guys getting incentives that knock $10k off the sticker.
Lots of good year end incentives. I think I like the Silverado over the Colorado.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have a 2013 Chevy 1500 and love it. My daughter is happy with her 2013 Chevy 2500. My farrier is happy with his 2013 diesel Chevy 2500. Our old Chevy did well for the 11 years that we owned it. I vote for Chevy.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Drive all the different varieties. I went with the Supercrew, 4x4 F150 with the 2.7. No issues so far, and lifetime fuel consumption of 12.6l/100 km. I considered the diesel Colorado, but it was much more expensive and far less useful for our needs.

My only regret is not buying the LED lights and heated seats.

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 12-09-2017, 03:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

All the major truck brands are good.

I own a 1/2 ton tuck with a V8 that tows 6000lbs effortlessly but struggles up the pound curve to it's max towing weight. I tow about 10 to 15% of the trucks mileage.

That works for me, if that seems reasonable to you a 1/2 ton will be fine. Get a tow package and trailer brake controller.

4x4 for me, never a maintenance issue.

I have a crew cab (smaller rear doors) that works for me. My kids are grown and we are rarely all in the truck together.

I opted for a solid, hinged bed cover, which I love. It really expands dry storage and cargo simplicity. Since I have an 18ft utility trailer so I never take the cover off when I need bigger items moved...you may need an open bed more than I do.

Seat heat is essential.

Make sure the little things are there: back-up camera, bed lights, adjustable headlights with a bumper load, etc.

Hard to go wrong with any modern truck.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Seahawk; 12-09-2017 at 04:22 AM..
Old 12-09-2017, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I have always preferred Fords over Chevys and Dodges. My advice would be to buy one that's a year old or so, you'll probably save close to half of the list price. I can't imagine needing four-wheel-drive in the Bay Area. Without it you'll get better mileage and I've noticed the front and components on four-wheel-drive trucks wear out more quickly than you think. I've had a couple extended cabs and I find that, over time, they get increasingly prone to rattles. An extended cab truck with the full length bed is going to be very long indeed, irritatingly so. Consider how often you will need the full length of the bed with the tailgate up. The shorter bed can still haul most things with the tailgate down, including full sheets of plywood and any furniture item. Try parking a long pick up truck in the normal parking lot during a test drive and see just how annoying it can be.
Old 12-09-2017, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I agree with Paul, they’re all good. Step one is to go drive the options, and they are many. Look at the cab configurations, seating, and trim levels. Drive the different engines, compare 2wd vs 4wd, etc. THEN come ask the opinion of people on the internet.

Seriously, you can’t go wrong with any of them. I drove all of the options in 2012 and ended up with an F150 Supercrew XLT 4wd with the 5.0. Were it not for regularly towing about 6,000 lbs of boat then the 5.0 would be more than adequate, but we upgraded to a 2013 Ecoboost with the FX4 and premium package. I love the Ecoboost, it drives like a diesel. But if I weren’t towing with it, I wouldn’t spend the premium for it either.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I bought a 2017 Tundra because I love Toyotas engineering and easy engine maintenance access.
If you don't do your own maintenance then it probably doesn't matter. I've always had Fords and just changing spark plugs is a nightmare. Just a side note, my 99 Tacoma has 365,000 miles on it and still runs strong. Most trouble free vehicle I've ever owned.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
Look out this window-
A real pickup will cost you 50K (Diesel with pulling pwr)

A good used semi, you can buy with a lot of life left in it for less than 20 K
For some, it is the right choice.
How does he tow with that? Fifth wheel trailer?
Old 12-09-2017, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
All the major truck brands are good.

Make sure the little things are there: back-up camera, bed lights, adjustable headlights with a bumper load, etc.

Hard to go wrong with any modern truck.

Enjoy!
Its funny how times change. For general homeowner use anything will work, get whatever fits you, you like the color, whatever. Really doesnt matter.

I havent owner a vehicle yet with backup camera, led anything... and I get along just fine If the bells and whistles are important, add that to your list. Dont get caught up in the spec's, if you are only hauling a few bikes around you wont know the difference in the 3.5 the 5.3 or anything else.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

^^^this.

My ol' beater Mazda p/u is used for Home Depot/Lowes runs and for taking kayaks to/from the harbor. Absolutely no bells and whistles.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
I havent owner a vehicle yet with backup camera, led anything... and I get along just fine If the bells and whistles are important, add that to your list.
I own a farm and tow a lot. A back up camera is now an essential since I am usually solo and it makes hooking up trailers effortless.

I am, however, very proud of you for having opinions on tools you have never used.
Old 12-09-2017, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Parrothead member

Recommend a vehicle to buy??

Old 12-09-2017, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Slackerous Maximus

Many decades of Ford truck ownership in our family, and thats not going to change. I have a 2003 F-150 XL that was a Hertz rental vehicle. I'm sure it lived a rough life. 90k miles, and it just keeps on truckin'. (pun very much intended.

Step mothers side of the family drive Chevy/GMC. They seem very nice. Interiors in GM vehicles used to be so bad, but they look nice now. All vehicles have their faults, but I swear, I hear way more complaints about Dodge they any other. I'm from the Detroit area, and they were always considered 3rd place behind Ford and Chevy.
Old 12-09-2017, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Both are good. Buy one that meets your needs, and keep in mind it's very tempting to buy features you think you might need someday, but in reality - never. If you want to haul people, a crew cab is a good idea. If you haul people once in a while for short distances, an extended cab will do. I have an extended cab truck. Unless you would use four wheel drive on a fairly regular basis, I wouldn't buy it. Mine is four wheel drive and it's true things wear out and need replacement or maintenance. I have to have the front end aligned about four times more frequently than a two wheel drive. Had to have the tie rods & associated parts replaced, ball joints replaced, and last year one of the front hubs was replaced. However I use my four wheel drive weekly.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
^^^this.

My ol' beater Mazda p/u is used for Home Depot/Lowes runs and for taking kayaks to/from the harbor. Absolutely no bells and whistles.
That's why you are slooooow. Back up camera will add 20 mph and up mpg by 5. Muhahahah
Old 12-09-2017, 02:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

i drove around both 4WD and 2WD trucks for years. My favorite were those mid 80s Toyota 4WD little trucks. They were mostly my daily drivers. Hauling and towing suck compared to their full size monsters, but will do in a pinch. They are perfect to just load up and go skiing. When things grew, I bought full size 2 wd trucks, mainly for work. If you are just going to skiing at Tahoe, have chains ready and you can get to all the lifts without any trouble even in a snow storm. I agree with many herre, get the one that's going to feel most comfortable when you are driving. I think they all have just as much power to do its job. The fit and finish in some are better then others, but that's secondary to me since its a truck that's design to do all the dirty work. I drove across several state in my 93 Dodge Cummins diesel when I first bought it. It was noisy, rough but comfortable enough for my wife and I. The plastic interior didn't bother us as at all. I know people make fun of it because they want the double leather stitching on the seat and the dash, but that's not so important. I always bought them used with low miles on them so color and feel goes out the window. I just want a solid truck.

I have a Duramax now and that's the most plush truck I have to date (got used to the driving position in a couple days). It has four full doors and a 8' bed. It will be my travel vehicle to Alaska in a couple of years. The Dalton Hwy awaits me (my poor kids and wife will kill me in that cab after 3 days). 4WD did save my bacon up in Mammoth last year.

One of the beautiful thing about 4Wd is that the CHP will sometimes (depending on condition) will let you through without having to install chains. Have you installed chains in a snow storm with wet, mushy ground and having to crawl back into the truck? The price for 4WD is worth its weight in gold in those situation.

Old 12-09-2017, 03:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: