Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Except when a mistake in a single line of code causes the vehicle to think you're not there and it takes a left in front of you.

I work on computers for a living and autonomous vehicles scare the hell out of me. Most bad drivers at least have a sense of self-preservation. A bad piece of code will make the same mistake every time it is presented with the same situation.

What happens when a radar sensor clogs with snow and you're doing 70 mph? What happens when it corrodes and fails? There are a lot of issues here that no one seems to be thinking about.
Excellent point. We all know that stuff on cars breaks/malfunctions and wears out.

In something like a plane, we know that there is a lifetime for parts (X number of hours) and then, I think, regardless of the condition of the part, it gets replaced. I also think that most plans have secondary and tertiary systems for most things so that if you have one failure while in the air, you've still got a functioning plane.

I'm not sure that the car manufacturers are building and designing cars to function and be maintained the same way. If the car is going to do the driving, then the car needs multiple backups for anything associated with the self driving, and the car also needs to have much more rigid maintenance (that consumers will certainly balk at) for at least some of the systems. If you don't care if the upholstery is worn or torn, fine, but the brakes, electronics, sensors, etc... need to be replaced on a schedule so they don't break.

Folks will mostly only agree to that while the vehicle is under warranty.

Maybe what we are moving to is disposable cars that can't be used once their warranty is up. Who knows.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-13-2019, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
There was some music kid on the lotus forum on facebook just bought an esprit for his first car in nyc asking if anyone could drive his car to a better location so he could learn to drive it. Apparently 1st gear was too fast for him. I thought it was a joke at first. That poor car wont last long.
Wow, really not surprising, but thankfully, the kid seems to have a little sense. There are a bunch of folks that wouldn't have asked for help assuming that they'd be fine.

I worked with a guy that bought a Alfa Romeo Guilia Quadrifrommagio ( ). So he had 505hp, carbon ceramic brakes and a "Race" mode. Prior to owning that car, the most high performance car that he'd ever driven was a 10-15 year old Honda Accord 4 cyl. Never anything rear wheel drive.

He drove it like he was driving miss Daisy until he got to 500 or 1000 miles. Then one day he was sitting at a stop sign getting ready to turn right. THe road that he was turning onto had curbs and trees along side it. He put the car into Race mode, turned the wheel, and mashed the gas. The car fish tailed, he didn't countersteer, and then the car got traction when the car was pointed at some angle to the road. He drove it up over a curb and side swiped a tree. Fortunately, the body damage was really minor, mostly just mild damage on one rear corner. He took the car to the dealer to get repaired. The Alfa dealer then sent it to the Ferrari dealer. He said he wanted everything that could be bad replaced so it would be as close to good as new as possible. I think the bill ended up being $60k (started out as $15k).

Now he's petrified of the car, which I guess, is a good thing.

He's in his mid 30s with a brand new baby.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolhead611 View Post
I understand about the potential dangers of relying on technology in place of personally remaining in charge of a moving vehicle. But, the example given of someone driving 70 mph in snow sufficient to clog the grille mounted radar sensor should be automatically stripped of their driver's licence for a very long time.
Pfffttt.

You know that happens all of the time, but no one loses their license.
Old 10-13-2019, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Amateur

Garage
Sounds like there's a common theme here.

I wonder if it's even possible within the limits of human reaction time to launch a 700HP street vehicle from standstill, "mashing the gas" like hat.

Last edited by pmax; 10-13-2019 at 11:13 AM..
Old 10-13-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)

Garage
Are Macans on the list ?

New York teens killed when Porsche falls over overpass, crashes on train tracks below. Two teenagers were killed in New York on Sunday after the Porsche they were riding in hit another car, careened off an overpass and slammed into the train tracks below, police said. Aisha Radoncic, 17, was reportedly driving the 2017 Porsche Macan in Pearl River, a town in Rockland County roughly 30 miles north of New York City, when it hit a 2013 Volkswagen Jetta.

The car was then thrown from the overpass on Route 304 and crash-landed on NJ Transit train tracks down below, the Rockland/Westchester Journal News reported. Saniha Cekic, 15, and Altin Nezaj, 17, who were passengers inside the Porsche, were transported to a hospital, where they were pronounced dead. Radoncic was hospitalized with serious injuries. The person driving the Volkswagen was not injured.

A witness in Pearl River told WABC-TV they heard a boom, then saw a fire at the scene of the accident. "I screamed, 'Is there people in it?' And I heard this woman screaming 'Help me, help me,' and just screaming," the witness said. "It's terrifying when you can't actually pull them out of the car, I thought I was going to be able to pull them out of the car."
At least two of the students involved in the accident attended Pearl River High School, the district's superintendent wrote in a letter to parents. "When our school community experiences a tragedy, such as the loss of a young life, it impacts all of us," Superintendent Marco Pochintesta said. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the students and their families and friends at this incredibly difficult time."

In keeping with Muslim tradition, Saniha Cekic was to be laid to rest quickly. Services were planned for a mosque in Astoria, Queens on Monday night, Aiello reported. Radoncic remains in critical condition at Westchester Medical Center.
Old 10-14-2019, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: