Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Functionista

Bummer. Look on the bright side though. At least you weren’t in a 356!

I’ve started using old cycle tricks to stay alive. Bright lights in the daytime, toggling lights when I see someone who might be turning left, left foot resting lightly ON the brake pedal whenever it’s not on the clutch (used to be right two fingers on the cycle), hitting brakes a few times when people close from behind at a light, revving loud engine at light when I sense someone behind is texting....etc
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Banned for Life

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hcoles View Post
I assume the Dodge PU was what hit you.
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased..
How about if I call you well informed? I have the same bias and include Jeeps, probably for the same reason.

I too drive using the same cautions as riding my road bike. Trust no one, look for their eyes on you, always have an escape, and get away from scary and distracted drivers.

Glad the OP came out of the accident healthy and hope that the repairs don’t go into the structure. Hope the other driver was insured. Keep your parts, the install will just be delayed a bit.
Rick S, '71 914 3.0, '82 911SC EFI, R Gruppe #309
Old 01-04-2018, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased. Good you are OK. I hit a dear on one head light - by the time I got all panels repainted in the front to match the total was only $11k. I forgot how much the ins. co. picked up - most of it. The ins. co. didn't want me to use my selected shop - took weeks and a number of phone calls and meetings to finally get them to agree to the repair est. provided by my shop.
You might want to give Dodge caravans a wide berth too. Years ago, a young guy driving a Caravan hit me. Had damage almost similar to yours. The driver claimed he did not see me. This was on a residential area where the only cars on the road were the two of us and I had my headlights on.
Old 01-04-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
ouch
91 E34 M5
Old 01-04-2018, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Oh man, so sorry you have to go through this. I had a "minor" rear-ender some years ago. I learned a lot in the process. Most important: pick a QUALIFIED BODY SHOP THAT KNOWS CLASSIC PORSCHES!! As mentioned above, the evaluation is critical for when you deal with insurance people, and you need an expert who knows these cars for that. It's important also because, depending on what is damaged, some inner structure parts are NLA (or not available easily in the US). The right shop will know how to obtain them.
As mentioned, please keep us posted. Good luck.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

I always try to be glass half full on such things. You'll need a headlight, might as well upgrade to H4s. Your bumper smile looks somewhat warped, good time for a new one. The front valence looks tweaked, good opportunity to delete your fogs. Front bumper is damaged, good opportunity to upgrade if desired. If the fuse box is damaged, good time to upgrade to a modern blade style box. Obviously the situation isn't ideal, but try to find the positives!
Past: 911T, Carrera, 951s, 955, 996s, 987s, 986s, 997s, BMW x5, C36, C63, XJR, S8, Maserati Coupe, GT500, etc
Old 01-05-2018, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I tend to give pickups a wide berth (double defensive driving efforts) and Dodge PUs more than the usual PU. Call me biased. Good you are OK. I hit a dear on one head light - by the time I got all panels repainted in the front to match the total was only $11k. I forgot how much the ins. co. picked up - most of it. The ins. co. didn't want me to use my selected shop - took weeks and a number of phone calls and meetings to finally get them to agree to the repair est. provided by my shop.
Yes it was the Dodge. I always try to be extra careful and watch out for the other guy but I think this was unavoidable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbridge 74 View Post
Bummer. Look on the bright side though. At least you weren’t in a 356!

I’ve started using old cycle tricks to stay alive. Bright lights in the daytime, toggling lights when I see someone who might be turning left, left foot resting lightly ON the brake pedal whenever it’s not on the clutch (used to be right two fingers on the cycle), hitting brakes a few times when people close from behind at a light, revving loud engine at light when I sense someone behind is texting....etc
Good tips, especially about the high beams during daylight. If and when I get the car back I'll definitely take these to heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBob View Post
Glad the OP came out of the accident healthy and hope that the repairs don’t go into the structure. Hope the other driver was insured. Keep your parts, the install will just be delayed a bit.
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
I always try to be glass half full on such things. You'll need a headlight, might as well upgrade to H4s. Your bumper smile looks somewhat warped, good time for a new one. The front valence looks tweaked, good opportunity to delete your fogs. Front bumper is damaged, good opportunity to upgrade if desired. If the fuse box is damaged, good time to upgrade to a modern blade style box. Obviously the situation isn't ideal, but try to find the positives!
My blood type is B-positive, so that's the outlook I usually take in life

Have to wait on the police report to be filed (should be available Tuesday) and then I can get things rolling with the insurance.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
Bummer...glad you are ok though.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

A 911 is small and low compared to a truck or SUV. I've been cut off many times because people drive like they are the only people on the road. They barely notice other vehicles like their own compared to a small sports car. Always a risk in traffic unfortunately. The lack of attention is frustrating.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
The damage appraiser came by and said the car is repairable. Was very happy to hear that. I'll post some pics once it's finished.

Thanks again for all the kinds words -- really made a stressful time more bearable.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
Got most of my parts ordered. Bought all Porsche parts where possible, except the spoiler.

The dealer gave me what I think is a great price on the fender. However, the valence (aka front embellisher) is NLA from the dealer so got a Dansk unit from our host. Ended up getting an aftermarket spoiler (Phoenix brand -- looks OK but I plan on replacing it with OEM sometime in the future, unless this one fits and holds up well). Some other parts are NLA but going to get used ones from a fellow forum member. Thanks, Tom!

I splurged a little and purchased H4 assemblies. They're Automotive Lighting brand as I couldn't find good, used, reasonably-priced Bosch units anywhere. They should be fine.

Taking it to the body shop Monday and hope to be able to drive it soon.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Bummer! "I didn't see you" is an indictment, rather than an excuse. It always means "I wasn't paying attention." Glad you're on the way to getting it fixed!
Old 02-03-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Got hit last Thursday too. Infinity G35 rolls back dented my 964 front bumper and broke my R-fog light. Driver’s Farmer estimates $1333. I took my car to Germanbodyshop in Santa Clara with Farmer’s estimate the guy at Germanbodyshop told me: Farmer insurance! I won’t call them. They are the worst!
I am now looking for body shop near San Jose CA that willing to talk to insurance co if sublamen fees required. 964 is now at home and waiting for &1333 check from Farmer ins
Old 02-03-2018, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Slippery Slope Expert

Garage
Insurance companies suck. About a year ago I had to take the “overland trail” in our GTI to avoid some ditz about halfway into our lane. Through a shallow ditch and across a driveway berm. She opted not to stop, but our car wasn’t incapacitated so I made an immediate U-turn and chased her down. When she saw me coming she finally pulled over.

Sheriff was called, she admitted her fault and was cited for being over the centerline. Insurance was Allstate. They sent us to their captive adjuster/bodyshop; I can’t recall the name now, but they have an obnoxious red and yellow paint job. I think they’re nationwide.

It was obvious to me that at the very least the front valence would need replacing, and Lord knows what underneath. But when my wife took it to have it looked at Billy Bob gave us a quote of $188! Can you believe that? You can’t damage anything on a modern car and get away with $188. He didn’t even look under it. The quote was essentially for a wash job and some clear coat.

So I contacted my company (State Farm) and took it to the body shop of VW’s choice here (ABBRA) and their quote? $2300! And it was actually a little more than that after they got into it. Radiator supports, bunch of other stuff.

While all this was going on I get this call from some jerk at Allstate to “record my statement” on the incident. After I was done he said that wasn’t the way his client told it and they would have to do some more investigation. I told him “Fine. I’m not the one that admitted fault and got the citation. Have at it.”

So, about two weeks later I get another Allstate call: “Good news! We have approved your claim for $188 and you can get your car repaired. I told him what the real situation was, that I was subrogating through my insurance, and he could go pound sand! (I hope that was on his tape!).

I had to pay my deductible, but I assume SF gotball the money out of Allstate because in about a month I got my deductible back.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

You should hit him in the forehead with a hammer and then tell him "sorry, I didn't see you." That really sucks. I hope the process of being made whole is not too bad and fairly painless.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-03-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
I've added a flashing third brake light mounted high in the rear window and LED brake lights in the housings and front turn signals. Just hoping to give others notice that I'm around. The flashing light goes solid after 5 or 6 flashes.

One time on I495 a guy rolled his window down to tell me that my brake light was broken and flashing. So at least it got his attention!

Glad to hear this is working out. Concur with the hammer to the head.
1995 993 Carrera 4 SOLD
2004 Land Rover Discovery II G4 Edition (Sold )
Old 02-03-2018, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

If you drive 'em, you risk damage. If you don't drive 'em, why own them?

Aye, that's the rub...

Good to know this one will be fixed.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Well at least it's not a long hood.
Old 02-03-2018, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Where are you in La.?
Old 02-03-2018, 08:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Bummer. Glad it can be fixed.
Old 02-03-2018, 08:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: