Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   MotoGP - The 2018 Season (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/982943-motogp-2018-season.html)

motion 01-04-2018 02:25 PM

MotoGP - The 2018 Season

Cannot wait!!!!

News today: https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/stoner-ducati-test-sepang-gp18-992774/

I think they should make the lap times public. Could be verrryyyyy interesting :)

sand_man 01-05-2018 06:18 AM

Sub'd! Thanks for getting this opened up, Motion! I've been meaning to do it. I can't wait, either...

peteremsley 01-05-2018 07:04 AM

I'm ready to think warmer thoughts and racing! Booked a plane ticket for COTA earlier in the week. Thinking of Qatar too since a friend of mine is on a 3 year contract in Doha. Would be interesting to see the night race, but its a really long way to go.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago already that Stoner won on the desmo.

flatbutt 01-05-2018 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteremsley (Post 9873282)
I'm ready to think warmer thoughts and racing! Booked a plane ticket for COTA earlier in the week. Thinking of Qatar too since a friend of mine is on a 3 year contract in Doha. Would be interesting to see the night race, but its a really long way to go.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago already that Stoner won on the desmo.

hmmm, didn't do COTA last year. May need to consider it again.

peteremsley 01-05-2018 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbutt (Post 9873359)
hmmm, didn't do COTA last year. May need to consider it again.

Haven't done accommodation yet. Hotels seem pricey, but there still seem to be some good AirBnB options close to downtown.

Just got a message from friend in Doha, and weekend tix for Losail are only $60!!

flatbutt 01-05-2018 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peteremsley (Post 9873378)
Haven't done accommodation yet. Hotels seem pricey, but there still seem to be some good AirBnB options close to downtown.

Just got a message from friend in Doha, and weekend tix for Losail are only $60!!

In town yes but further away they're not. They do traffic (or did when I was there) pretty well. The effort comes in when trying to park for the 6th St crawl.

Anybody thinking that Mr Rossi has a shot at the title this year? I for one will cheer him on but I'm thinking the young guns are too good now.

peteremsley 01-05-2018 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flatbutt (Post 9873981)
In town yes but further away they're not. They do traffic (or did when I was there) pretty well. The effort comes in when trying to park for the 6th St crawl.

Anybody thinking that Mr Rossi has a shot at the title this year? I for one will cheer him on but I'm thinking the young guns are too good now.

I think he can be in the hunt. He had a couple of crashes and broke a bone dirt biking last season. If he can not do those things then he has a chance.

For F1 at COTA we took the school bus shuttle last year. Bit of a walk from the shuttle parking lot to the track, but I suspect we walked back to the bus quicker than the cars exited the parking lot. Cheaper (for 2) than parking too.

dlockhart 01-06-2018 01:07 AM

While we wait... a great vid about the "simple" BSB spec electronics. :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/k27B9MrKDWQ" frameborder="0" gesture="media" allow="encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

peteremsley 01-06-2018 05:15 AM

Seem to recall reading a few years ago that BSB electronics were more sophisticated than those allowed in WSBK.

Somewhat related - MotoAmerica introduces "Stock 1000" class for this season - more limited mods, budget friendly to encourage participation.

MotoAmerica Announces Stock 1000 Class For 2018 | MotoAmerica

motion 01-15-2018 04:17 PM

The Desmos were introd. I think they look rather ugly, but not too concerned about looks if they go fast. I don't think VR46 would approve :)

MotoGP: Ducati unveils red, white and grey 2018 Desmosedici | News

http://www.mcnews.com.au/wp-content/...s-1024x576.jpg

flatbutt 01-16-2018 10:35 AM

Rossi nominated for comeback of the year

Italian faces some tough rivals for the Laureus honour - including Roger Federer, FC Barcelona and Justin Gatlin
Tags MotoGP, 2018, Valentino Rossi, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP
Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi has been nominated for the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award for his heroics last season, with the Italian competing in the 2017 Aragon GP just over three weeks after breaking his tibia and fibula. The ‘Doctor’ sustained the injury when training enduro and was forced to sit out his home round at Misano, but stunned the paddock and the world as he battled at the front next time out at MotorLand - and came home fifth. It's not the first time he's been nominated, and he took the honour in 2011 following his 2010 battle back to the front from a similar injury. In 2006, VR46 also took the Spirit of Sport Award.
This Laureus nomination is a high honour once again as it pitches the nine-time World Champion against FC Barcelona, Roger Federer, Justin Gatlin, Sally Pearson and Chapecoense – all very different comebacks in very different sports, with very different stories.

peteremsley 01-16-2018 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by motion (Post 9887121)
The Desmos were introd. I think they look rather ugly, but not too concerned about looks if they go fast. I don't think VR46 would approve :)

And that's a pretty flattering angle for them, too. the vents/down force winglet-y things are really ugly.

peteremsley 01-19-2018 09:46 AM

Gagne on upcoming WorldSBK season

peteremsley 01-30-2018 03:06 PM

veddy interesting...

MotoGP™

peteremsley 02-21-2018 10:51 AM

World Superbike starts this weekend at PI!

sand_man 02-22-2018 09:52 AM

Tech3 to split with Yamaha after 2018 MotoGP season
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/134488/tech3-to-split-with-yamaha-after-2018
Quote:

18-year partnership with Yamaha at the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Herve Poncharal's team, which has run Yamahas since its premier-class debut in 2001, made clear it has secured a new partner for 2019 but did not specify the manufacturer.

Suzuki and KTM are both known to be keen on making at least two bikes available for a satellite team for 2019, while Aprilia could also be on the market for a customer squad deal.

Currently, there are eight Ducatis, six Honda and four Yamahas competing in MotoGP, while KTM, Suzuki and Aprilia field two works bikes each.

"Tech3 is a small company, which has to think about the future and has to weigh the different options," Poncharal said.

"We've been offered a deal, that includes something we've been waiting for almost since we started with Tech3 and I couldn't say no.

"But obviously, we are the Monster Yamaha Team until the last lap of the Valencia GP 2018."

sand_man 03-11-2018 06:57 PM

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/world-championship-motorbike-star-ralf-waldmann-dies-1013722/
Quote:

Tributes have poured in for 20-time grand prix motorcycling race winner Ralf Waldmann, who has died at the age of 51

motion 03-11-2018 06:58 PM

RIP, Ralf. A really cool guy. Fast, too.

flatbutt 03-14-2018 06:18 AM

FIM changes the Red flag/restart rule. Now they're using a 75% rule to determine a complete race. I like it. To take it further though I'd like to see any restarts use current race position rather than original grid position.

peteremsley 03-14-2018 06:53 AM

WSBK uses race position for restarts, right?

I'm seeing a lazy weekend ahead. Daytona 200 on Saturday, GP on Sunday. Woot, race season!!