Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

MotoGP - The 2018 Season

Cannot wait!!!!

News today: https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/stoner-ducati-test-sepang-gp18-992774/

I think they should make the lap times public. Could be verrryyyyy interesting
Old 01-04-2018, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Sub'd! Thanks for getting this opened up, Motion! I've been meaning to do it. I can't wait, either...
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 01-05-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm ready to think warmer thoughts and racing! Booked a plane ticket for COTA earlier in the week. Thinking of Qatar too since a friend of mine is on a 3 year contract in Doha. Would be interesting to see the night race, but its a really long way to go.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago already that Stoner won on the desmo.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
I'm ready to think warmer thoughts and racing! Booked a plane ticket for COTA earlier in the week. Thinking of Qatar too since a friend of mine is on a 3 year contract in Doha. Would be interesting to see the night race, but its a really long way to go.

Hard to believe it was 11 years ago already that Stoner won on the desmo.
hmmm, didn't do COTA last year. May need to consider it again.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 01-05-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
hmmm, didn't do COTA last year. May need to consider it again.
Haven't done accommodation yet. Hotels seem pricey, but there still seem to be some good AirBnB options close to downtown.

Just got a message from friend in Doha, and weekend tix for Losail are only $60!!
Old 01-05-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
Haven't done accommodation yet. Hotels seem pricey, but there still seem to be some good AirBnB options close to downtown.

Just got a message from friend in Doha, and weekend tix for Losail are only $60!!
In town yes but further away they're not. They do traffic (or did when I was there) pretty well. The effort comes in when trying to park for the 6th St crawl.

Anybody thinking that Mr Rossi has a shot at the title this year? I for one will cheer him on but I'm thinking the young guns are too good now.

equito ergo sum
Old 01-05-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatbutt View Post
In town yes but further away they're not. They do traffic (or did when I was there) pretty well. The effort comes in when trying to park for the 6th St crawl.

Anybody thinking that Mr Rossi has a shot at the title this year? I for one will cheer him on but I'm thinking the young guns are too good now.
I think he can be in the hunt. He had a couple of crashes and broke a bone dirt biking last season. If he can not do those things then he has a chance.

For F1 at COTA we took the school bus shuttle last year. Bit of a walk from the shuttle parking lot to the track, but I suspect we walked back to the bus quicker than the cars exited the parking lot. Cheaper (for 2) than parking too.
Old 01-05-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

While we wait... a great vid about the "simple" BSB spec electronics.

"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."--Benito Mussolini
Old 01-06-2018, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Seem to recall reading a few years ago that BSB electronics were more sophisticated than those allowed in WSBK.

Somewhat related - MotoAmerica introduces "Stock 1000" class for this season - more limited mods, budget friendly to encourage participation.

MotoAmerica Announces Stock 1000 Class For 2018 | MotoAmerica
Old 01-06-2018, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

The Desmos were introd. I think they look rather ugly, but not too concerned about looks if they go fast. I don't think VR46 would approve

MotoGP: Ducati unveils red, white and grey 2018 Desmosedici | News

Old 01-15-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
I see you

Rossi nominated for comeback of the year

Italian faces some tough rivals for the Laureus honour - including Roger Federer, FC Barcelona and Justin Gatlin
Tags MotoGP, 2018, Valentino Rossi, Movistar Yamaha MotoGP
Movistar Yamaha MotoGP rider Valentino Rossi has been nominated for the Laureus World Comeback of the Year award for his heroics last season, with the Italian competing in the 2017 Aragon GP just over three weeks after breaking his tibia and fibula. The ‘Doctor’ sustained the injury when training enduro and was forced to sit out his home round at Misano, but stunned the paddock and the world as he battled at the front next time out at MotorLand - and came home fifth. It's not the first time he's been nominated, and he took the honour in 2011 following his 2010 battle back to the front from a similar injury. In 2006, VR46 also took the Spirit of Sport Award.
This Laureus nomination is a high honour once again as it pitches the nine-time World Champion against FC Barcelona, Roger Federer, Justin Gatlin, Sally Pearson and Chapecoense – all very different comebacks in very different sports, with very different stories.

equito ergo sum
Old 01-16-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
The Desmos were introd. I think they look rather ugly, but not too concerned about looks if they go fast. I don't think VR46 would approve
And that's a pretty flattering angle for them, too. the vents/down force winglet-y things are really ugly.
Old 01-16-2018, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Gagne on upcoming WorldSBK season
Old 01-19-2018, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

veddy interesting...

MotoGP™
Old 01-30-2018, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

World Superbike starts this weekend at PI!
Old 02-21-2018, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Tech3 to split with Yamaha after 2018 MotoGP season
https://www.autosport.com/motogp/news/134488/tech3-to-split-with-yamaha-after-2018
Quote:
18-year partnership with Yamaha at the conclusion of the 2018 season.

Herve Poncharal's team, which has run Yamahas since its premier-class debut in 2001, made clear it has secured a new partner for 2019 but did not specify the manufacturer.

Suzuki and KTM are both known to be keen on making at least two bikes available for a satellite team for 2019, while Aprilia could also be on the market for a customer squad deal.

Currently, there are eight Ducatis, six Honda and four Yamahas competing in MotoGP, while KTM, Suzuki and Aprilia field two works bikes each.

"Tech3 is a small company, which has to think about the future and has to weigh the different options," Poncharal said.

"We've been offered a deal, that includes something we've been waiting for almost since we started with Tech3 and I couldn't say no.

"But obviously, we are the Monster Yamaha Team until the last lap of the Valencia GP 2018."
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 02-22-2018, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

https://www.motorsport.com/motogp/news/world-championship-motorbike-star-ralf-waldmann-dies-1013722/
Quote:
Tributes have poured in for 20-time grand prix motorcycling race winner Ralf Waldmann, who has died at the age of 51
Old 03-11-2018, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

RIP, Ralf. A really cool guy. Fast, too.
Old 03-11-2018, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
I see you

FIM changes the Red flag/restart rule. Now they're using a 75% rule to determine a complete race. I like it. To take it further though I'd like to see any restarts use current race position rather than original grid position.

equito ergo sum
Old 03-14-2018, 06:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

WSBK uses race position for restarts, right?

I'm seeing a lazy weekend ahead. Daytona 200 on Saturday, GP on Sunday. Woot, race season!!
Old 03-14-2018, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: