Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
wanna buy a stripper pole

Send a message via Yahoo to KevinP73
What a long strange trip it's been.............

With the probable exception of my personal '64C coupe I've shot the last car of my 40 year career. The shop door closes officially and finally on Jan 31, 2018. To quote the Greatful Dead, "What a long strange trip it's been".

Parting shot, 1970 914-6.

Old 01-06-2018, 09:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Memories..you must have many. Your doing Black Beauty 1 is but one of them...
Old 01-06-2018, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
Is this a personal choice? Or other influence? Regardless which good luck with your future endeavors ��
Old 01-07-2018, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Functionista

Well done.

Stay bold....
74 911, #3
I do not disbelieve in anything. I start from the premise that everything is true until proved false. Everything is possible.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Its time? So, what's next? Did you sell the business?
Old 01-07-2018, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

What's next?

Truckin', I'm a goin' home. Whoa whoa baby, back where I belong,
Back home, sit down and patch my bones, and get back truckin' on.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2018, 11:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bell View Post
Is this a personal choice? Or other influence? Regardless which good luck with your future endeavors ��
A little of both really. A one man shop really isn't economically viable any longer with costs rising so rapidly and I'm don't have the drive and stamina that I had 20 years ago. I've decided it's time to slow down and work smarter rather than harder.
As a side income I've been producing a line of kayak/canoe accessories and selling on Amazon. Closing the shop will allow me to focus my efforts there.
I didn't sell the business per se but I am selling off tools and equipment. Anybody want to buy a 6000lb two post lift.........cheap!

Last edited by KevinP73; 01-07-2018 at 11:16 AM..
Old 01-07-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do. It sort of seems strange to not have you around here in the same capacity after 15 years. Although I've never talked to you or had the opportunity to use your services, and like lots of others here, I've grown comfortable with having you as part of the community in the role you've graciously provided. Hope you won't be a stranger and will enjoy the maximum success in your future.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evans, Marv View Post
Wishing you the best of luck with whatever you decide to do. It sort of seems strange to not have you around here in the same capacity after 15 years. Although I've never talked to you or had the opportunity to use your services, and like lots of others here, I've grown comfortable with having you as part of the community in the role you've graciously provided. Hope you won't be a stranger and will enjoy the maximum success in your future.
Thanks Marv that's nice to hear. Ultimately my plans are to move up to the PNW but I certainly have no intentions of abandoning this group I have become so accustomed to.
I've never considered myself a social butterfly in the real world but feel as though I can call many here a "freind".
Old 01-07-2018, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinP73 View Post
As a side income I've been producing a line of kayak/canoe accessories and selling on Amazon. Closing the shop will allow me to focus my efforts there..
Kevin, if you need composite material assistance, I can help.

I'd be interested, as a long time kayaker, to learn about your initiatives if you are willing to share. Happy to sign an NDA, etc.

Best of luck.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 01-07-2018, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Best Wishes Kevin.
Old 01-07-2018, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
A little of both really. A one man shop really isn't economically viable any longer with costs rising so rapidly and I'm don't have the drive and stamina that I had 20 years ago. I've decided it's time to slow down and work smarter rather than harder.
As a side income I've been producing a line of kayak/canoe accessories and selling on Amazon. Closing the shop will allow me to focus my efforts there.
I didn't sell the business per se but I am selling off tools and equipment. Anybody want to buy a 6000lb two post lift.........cheap!
Do you mind me asking your age ? Im 47, and also have a one man shop. I still like it , but seems it is getting harder and harder to make a buck these days. EVERYTHING costs more, lots more, insurance, tools, software . phones, electric, bla bla bla. Everything is also harder , and way more complex .
I still have no idea what I will do when I can no longer spin the wrenches daily, but I am pretty confident that I have at least 10 years left in me now . That gets me closer to then finish line .
Probably like you, after a lifetime of self employment, I cannot even fathom punching some one else's time clock ever again, and do not really have any plans for what to do after I hang it all up .
Best of luck to you , I know it will be both a sad, and happy day when I close my shops door for the last time .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 01-07-2018, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
Kevin, if you need composite material assistance, I can help.

I'd be interested, as a long time kayaker, to learn about your initiatives if you are willing to share. Happy to sign an NDA, etc.

Best of luck.
PM sent
Old 01-07-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastfredracing View Post
Do you mind me asking your age ?
Just turned 64
Old 01-07-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Hey Kevin, we met at those drives / get together put on by Howard Agency. He would invite me to all those 914 lunches and such even though I don't own a 914. After the drive, we always hung out at that burger joint to shoot the breeze and ate breakfast. That's when I learned about your black 930 with the huge tail that was used in No Man's Land. Good times. That was more then 12-15 years ago. How the hell did we get here so damn fast?

You already had a great exit plan selling Kayak stuff so that will keep your ass busy up in WA when you need to stay dry.
Old 01-07-2018, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Used to be Singpilot...

Oh, man! I was gonna have you shoot the bus.

I turn 65 next July.

Timing is everything.
Old 01-07-2018, 01:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Kevin,
You helped build the car of my dreams and I am forever in your debt. If you put half of your ambition and raw talent into your kayak endeavors there is no chance you will not succeed. Best wishes my friend. You deserve them...
Old 01-07-2018, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
I have a 9000# lift laying on my shop floor waiting to get installed in warmer weather.

Congrats on making the jump to a slower/easier existence. The old muscles don't like working on cars after a certain age, I'm almost there now.
Old 01-07-2018, 02:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsrfan View Post
Kevin,
You helped build the car of my dreams and I am forever in your debt. If you put half of your ambition and raw talent into your kayak endeavors there is no chance you will not succeed. Best wishes my friend. You deserve them...
Without a doubt one of my favorites.

Old 01-07-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Best of luck Kevin, you've earned the right to slow down..........Let us know when up to the PNW area........Best of luck..........

1960 Mercedes 190SL
1962 XKE Roadster (sold) - 13 motorcycles
Old 01-07-2018, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: