Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Model Citizen

Garage
Fangio at Monaco in 1957

Two huge fuel tanks on either side, sliding around Monaco in a Ferrari wearing a tee shirt and a helmet that wouldn't stop a large bug.
And, the icing on the cake, a look of complete calm; he might as well be sitting on a grassy slope on a summer day listening to the ducks.

Sorry Senna, sorry Schumacher. Fangio gets my vote for the best F1 driver evah!!!

Old 02-18-2018, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Talk about a good exhaust note!
Old 02-18-2018, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

D-50 Lancia IMHO probably shot 1979-80 for Hugh Hudson's biopic "Fangio - a Life at 300kmh" - figure its the flat-plane sound (hate the music).

Last edited by fnqvmuch; 02-19-2018 at 04:56 AM..
Old 02-19-2018, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

And that was on top of what, 4.5-5.5" wide tires?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 02-19-2018, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
FYI Fangio died age 84 in 1995. Stirling Moss although still impressive arrived later in the racing scene is still alive age 88. Thanks OP for the great video.
Old 02-19-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Cars and Cappuccino

Garage
This reminded of this little gem. I just published to the website. It is one of my favorite GIFs of JMF. Enjoy.

Juan Manuel Fangio Drifting in a Vintage Racer | Cars and Cappuccino.com
1977 Mexico Blue flared, 3.2, back date, sunroof-delete Coupe - in process.
1972 Black T coupe to Longhood Turbo R5 tribute car (someday)
Old 02-19-2018, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnqvmuch View Post
D-50 Lancia IMHO probably shot 1979-80 for Hugh Hudson's biopic "Fangio - a Life at 300kmh" - figure its the flat-plane sound (hate the music).
Nice catch.

I Google the D-50 Lancia and see it has Ferrari emblems on it. Engine? Joint venture?

Old 02-19-2018, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
I Google the D-50 Lancia and see it has Ferrari emblems on it. Engine? Joint venture?
Lancia bailed out of racing in 1955, after the death of Alberto Ascari. Ferrari ended up with the assets of the race team and ran the D50 for a couple years, as it was better than the cars they had designed. Fangio won a title with it in 1956. Engine was a V8; 2.5 liters to suit the engine size restriction of those years.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Those tires must have been like wobbly hockey pucks off a shopping cart compared to what is used today.
George, Architect
Old 02-19-2018, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Great cutaway!

I see those pods between the axles are just fairings, not fuel tanks! That must've been comforting to the driver!
Old 02-19-2018, 11:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr_oberst View Post
Great cutaway!

I see those pods between the axles are just fairings, not fuel tanks! That must've been comforting to the driver!
Originally they did contain the fuel tanks. Ferrari moved the tank behind the driver, as one of the changes they made to the car.
Old 02-19-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post
Lancia bailed out of racing in 1955, after the death of Alberto Ascari. Ferrari ended up with the assets of the race team and ran the D50 for a couple years, as it was better than the cars they had designed. Fangio won a title with it in 1956. Engine was a V8; 2.5 liters to suit the engine size restriction of those years.
Thanks.

Beautiful car.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I happen to have a decent sized black and white print of one of these, taken at the British GP, if you'd like to adorn your house with vintage B&W photography. Half a sawbuck and it could be yours...

I used to attend a lot of the higher-end vintage races and have fond memories of one of these cars being absolutely thrashed around Laguna Seca. One of the places I used to stand was between 3 and 4 and there was a point where the cars drifted pretty close to the inside fence. There was a British driver that was half decent and would drift it smoothly out of 3 and all the way into the apex of 4. Bigger balls than I would have had, given the rarity and value of one of these things...
Old 02-19-2018, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Old 02-19-2018, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Model Citizen

Garage
Old 02-19-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

The story behind the photo above is that the infamous Alfonso de Portago is hopping into Eugenio Castelotti's D50, midway through the race. In those days, you could swap drivers mid-race. Peter Collins had his D50 crap out earlier in the race, so they called in de Portago and Peter took his car and finished the race in it, in 2nd place behind Fangio. **** rolls downhill, so fairly soon, in came Castellotti, to give up his car for Portago.

Note the damage to the front of the car. This occurred as a result of an impatient driver bumping people to get them out of the way. I'd label it the chrome horn, if it weren't red-painted aluminum.

Both of the drivers in the photo would be dead by the following spring, as racing was a wee bit more deadly in those days.

That's Fangio's main squeeze standing tall at the pit wall.
Old 02-19-2018, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: