Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

New to me Land Cruiser

So with children that continue to grow like weeds, and a desire to change things up a bit, Mrs. Sarc has been interested for sometime in something a little different than her Mazdaspeed 3 with the following criteria:
-no minivans.
-something relatively modern with a hint of vintageness to it.

An 80 or 100-series Land Cruiser seemed to fit the bill, so on the hunt we go. After some close calls with some low mileage examples, we found the following rig in Denver. The fact that Mrs. Sarc has never been to those parts of the country made the trip even more appealing. 2003 w/130k miles. Fresh timing belt and stock apart from a Slee 2.5" lift with OME suspension and brand new BFG KO2s. Found the car on a Wednesday, hopped on the plane Friday morning.

Fortunately the weather was ideal; high 60s and clear skies. Perfect weather for inspecting a car. Though I wish the seller was a little more forthcoming in some of the worn items and imperfections, the truck was as described and clean as a whistle in all the nooks, crannies, and underside.

After doing the deal Friday afternoon and a 2 hour wait at the DMV, off we went to Manitou Springs to an AirBnb for the night.

Kicked off the drive home at 0600 on Saturday with a walk through the Gardens of the Gods. Incredible place.

Made it home Sunday morning without a hiccup. The thing is a tank, though she drinks more than Dean Martin at a Friar's Club roast.

First order of business will be a full fluid change, then on to some PDR work and Leatherique of the interior. Now I get the allure.

Last edited by Sarc; 03-06-2018 at 04:25 PM..
Old 03-06-2018, 01:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Nice looking rig! What year 2005?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Sweet.
Old 03-06-2018, 01:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
that is super clean!

just how bad was the mpg..13 on the open highway?
Old 03-06-2018, 01:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post
that is super clean!

No, 14 on a good day.

Yeah, that's a clean one. I wanted a 100 series
Old 03-06-2018, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
14?! ouch.

there is a modified LEXUS version around here somewhere..it is the coolest looking thing. looks like a mild overland rig. i've seen the guy a few times. he mumbles incoherently when i ask him his mpg.. i want one..but there is no way unless i befriend a sheik.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I want one of those, but in my neck of the woods, they are beat to ****. The Lexus versions are usually better kept. The soccer moms won't be headed to the surf spots, or checking their pakalolo patches. lol
14 535i M Sport
Old 03-06-2018, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I have a '93 bought new,and a 2007 bought in '08. Love them both, will never sell!
Old 03-06-2018, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarc View Post
So with children that continue to grow like weeds, and a desire to change things up a bit, Mrs. Sarc has been interested for sometime in something a little different than her Mazdaspeed 3 with the following criteria:
-no minivans.
-something relatively modern with a hint of vintageness to it.

IMO you nailed it. Great looking LC you have there.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Landcruisers get under your skin and you can't help but love them (as long as gas prices stay low). Heck, I'm getting 16-17 mpg with the 4 Runner.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cymru am Byth

Quote:
14?! ouch.

there is a modified LEXUS version around here somewhere..it is the coolest looking thing. looks like a mild overland rig. i've seen the guy a few times. he mumbles incoherently when i ask him his mpg.. i want one..but there is no way unless i befriend a sheik.
img]

Like this, daily driver, average 13mpg.

2005 Lexus GX470 Offroader
Julian Williams
Old 03-06-2018, 04:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

That looks fantastic! Just based on the leather I can tell it was well kept, those things had BMW quality leather that falls apart if neglected. Like I told you via PM I dearly miss my 80 series, and the 100 series is really a better truck in every way. I frequently consider buying another, they are incredible.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmad View Post
img]

Like this, daily driver, average 13mpg.

Very very nice!
Old 03-06-2018, 05:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Cool. I have a 2000. Drinks like Dean and his friends combined.
Old 03-06-2018, 06:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
After owning an 80 for years, I talked the wife into a 100 for her. We bought a 2007 LX470 last year with 107k miles on it. If you drive it easy on the interstate, you can get 17 mpg. Around town it's brutal - she averages 13-14 mpg picking up kids from school, etc. That 4.7L 2UZ-FE engine is pretty legendary in longevity, though.

Land Cruisers are great vehicles. My son even has an 80.
22/29 torsions, 22/22 adjustable sways, Carrera brakes
Old 03-07-2018, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
Nice looking rig! What year 2005?
Thanks! 2003. I was hoping for an earlier one without the navigation screen, but it was too good to pass up.

Quote:
that is super clean!

I didn't really calculate, but we would fill up with a little in the tank and around 250 miles. I'm sure the lift and KO2s are contributing to the low numbers, but Mrs. Sarc doesn't want to change a thing (and I'm happy to abide).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
IMO you nailed it. Great looking LC you have there.
Thank you! After looking at several examples in either White or Thundercloud. It was nice to find a clean black one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onewhippedpuppy View Post
That looks fantastic! Just based on the leather I can tell it was well kept, those things had BMW quality leather that falls apart if neglected. Like I told you via PM I dearly miss my 80 series, and the 100 series is really a better truck in every way. I frequently consider buying another, they are incredible.
I hear you on the leather, those first 3 images are from the seller....and conveniently leave out the bolster and armrest wear along with the blue jean dye on the seat bolster . But I'm confident the Leatherique will clean it up.

It's funny, I think the only reason we scored it was that it was a bear to get hold of the seller. The craigslist ad was created by a Denver-based app that you had to relay through (multiple times) to get a hold of the seller. The first time I called, the 20 something on the other end couldn't wrap it around her head that we would drive "all that way just for a car".
Old 03-07-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

I don't think wild horses could pull me away from NC and my beaches...but oh how I'd love to head out west with ours and spend a couple of months on the trails. Spent some time years ago in/around Silverton and would love to return...If I could only learn to spell retire, maybe we could do it sometime
Old 03-07-2018, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysa View Post
I don't think wild horses could pull me away from NC and my beaches...but oh how I'd love to head out west with ours and spend a couple of months on the trails. Spent some time years ago in/around Silverton and would love to return...If I could only learn to spell retire, maybe we could do it sometime
Many years ago I explored Summit County CO trails in a 4Runner, that's an all time great day. I'd love to go back and do it again. In the summer there are few places more beautiful.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I've never seen the desert country...I could easily see us getting lost out there for 6 months or more...put a camper on top and bob's yer uncle!
Old 03-07-2018, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysa View Post
I've never seen the desert country...I could easily see us getting lost out there for 6 months or more...put a camper on top and bob's yer uncle!
I thought I knew the southwest pretty well but I have been following a thread on Expidition Portal for a while and have made a punch list of sorts of places to visit. I am been to many of the places he has been to but he found angles and vistas I completely missed.

Amazing pictures and places: My Solo Wanderings of the West - Expedition Portal

All you will every need to know on planning a westward swing.

“He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." – Winston Churchill
Old 03-07-2018, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: