Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I know she wants to just simply fix her own home, but out here, once you are caught, then there is no getting off the hook and it has to go through all the channels. That's when you pay dearly. Once flagged with none permitted construction or additions, it stays with the house forever until fixed. No one will buy it and investors will low ball you. Try telling that to the insurance company when a claim is needed. I don't know how loose the inspectors are in the midwest but out here some can be a PITA. Its not the inspector she has to deal with, its the planning dept and zoning. Hey, for all we know, its a simple repair that can be done without any Building and safety inspection? We are just kicking tires here and all I am saying is be very careful because and look at it from all sides as it can cause some serious money down the road. I hate to see her go through that.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Hard Drive needs to make his sister a nice cup of relaxing warm coffee on a pleasant sunday morning.

Then he needs to read back everything you just wrote slowly back to her.
So she understands the situation.
And how much he (and you) have helped her.
Old 04-12-2018, 09:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeCleElum View Post
No Rudi Foreman is his name....Been retired about 5 years. Now, he buys house to fix up and flip. When dealing with inspectors, he won't tell them where he used to work, he feels they will be extra hard on one of their own......Nice guy...
I come across many that are good, normal folks who just want to get through the day. Some shady contractors see them as cops so they try and do stupid stuff to get pass the inspectors to save a few bucks, ofocurse they get caught, then they feel the inspector's the ass.

Did he work for City of LA? Most those guys get transfer around and there are only so many offices in the city they work out of, so they must know each other. 5 years ago isn't very long ago.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Is this bolting down the sill plate the foundation only?

Is the house sheathed in plywood or OSB?

Is there any other method of securing the house/framing from the foundation to the roof?

What's to keep it from falling apart and just leaving the sill plate only bolted down with a big wind or earthquake?
Old 04-13-2018, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Is this bolting down the sill plate the foundation only?

Is the house sheathed in plywood or OSB?

Is there any other method of securing the house/framing from the foundation to the roof?

What's to keep it from falling apart and just leaving the sill plate only bolted down with a big wind or earthquake?
Not a house built in the late 20s. Just a few pieces of cross bracing is all we get for shear. That's why I say that it may cause more harm when the earthquake comes. The only requirement around here is to tie the sill plate to the foundation wall and shear panel the cripple wall with plywood
Old 04-13-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I come across many that are good, normal folks who just want to get through the day. Some shady contractors see them as cops so they try and do stupid stuff to get pass the inspectors to save a few bucks, ofocurse they get caught, then they feel the inspector's the ass.

Did he work for City of LA? Most those guys get transfer around and there are only so many offices in the city they work out of, so they must know each other. 5 years ago isn't very long ago.
Yes, City of LA, usually the NW part of the city.......
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 04-13-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

That would be the valley. I used to do some stuff there, but not so much in the past 5-8 years. I don't recognize the name but for some reason, it also don't sound strange to me. Do you know if this is the guy who goes to Rent-a-Wreck and switch cars every two to three weeks? I think this may be him? This inspector would come and each and every time he's driving a different car, usually a BMW or Benz but all have body damages so we chat about his cars and tells me he rents a new one every couple of weeks just so he doesn't have to worry about dings, nails, and mileage on his personal vehicles.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: