Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Send a message via AIM to CJFusco
Anyone Knowledgeable about Used Acura MDXs?

Good morning,
My wife and I are looking to buy a used Acura MDX, a model we landed on for a variety of various different reasons. I know that these cars get very good reviews, they're very popular, and they're "expensive Hondas", so there's an expectation of build quality.

After lengthy discussions and LOTS of visits to dealers and test-drives (I'm talking MONTHS of looking), we've landed on the Acura MDX... so please avoid the impulse to post the obligatory "have you considered the [competing brand's model]?"

Do you any of you own/work on/sell these? I'm looking for info on longevity, durability, major repair costs, common issues, etc. Yes, I've done the basic research, but the reviews all look suspiciously positive (or maybe I'm just not used to researching Japanese cars!).

We are looking to buy in the $16K to $24K price range, which basically puts us in 2010-2013 models. There's a 2011 with the options we like at a local dealer for a low price, but it has over 80K miles on it; considering that there are examples widely available for slightly more money but lower mileage, should I shy away from the higher-mileage example? I don't want to buy a car just to have the water pump fail within 6 months.

Any input the Pelican braintrust can give would be appreciated!
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 04-12-2018, 05:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I haven't owned one, but, I have a friend that has owned a couple and just ordered a new one. They had tranny issues but that was fixed by I believe 2006 or sooner. She loves hers. I have bought used Acuras with 60K to 90K miles and all of them have gone to over 160K miles. The CL Type S we have now was bought with 65K miles and has 158K. One Legend bought at 80K went to 170K before being totaled in an accident. Another Legend bought at 98K went to 180K and we sold that and bought the CL we have now. If you get one with over 80K miles it will need the belt and water pump service soon if it hasn't been done.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I proto-typed/engineered most of the rubber/metal suspension pieces, and motor mounts for the MDX, and the RDX for the (top 100) rubber company I work for. Honda build quality is over the top exceptional, to the point of being rediculous. If they follow this logic with all of thier suppliers, the cars should last forever, be smooth as silk, and reliable to a fault.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oil consumption and transmissions issues seem to be the most serious issues. Not sure you can tell ahead of time. If there is any grinding or a sloppy shift when cold find another one. I've worked on a few, mostly straight forward to service.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Custom User Title

Wife and I bought a 2012 MDX used. As you assume, they are good cars. Typical Honda- change fluids and brake pads, tires and that's it. Oh- a mirror motor went bad. We previously had a 2006 MDX and had a good experience with that as well. VERY comfy cruiser, decent third row for kids if you need it. Gas mileage sucks, but you already knew that.

Tips- you will NEED to get the technology package. Not to get the USELESS Nav (and I mean USELESS!!!). But to get the real leather. You see, on the base model, it is bonded leather, otherwise known as pleather or as I call it leather that will fall apart next year. I had their fake leather on a 2010 TSX and even taking good care of it, it was falling apart in short order. Don't get that- the real leather on the other hand has held up admirably to my children, wife and dogs which is saying something. On the plus side, the factory stereo with tech package is decent.

Hmm... that's the only tip I can really think of. There's really nothing else wrong or any other gotchas besides the fake leather. Happy to answer any questions you might have.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I was shopping and researching MDX until a recent purchase last month. My friend just bought his second MDX. He loves them but as stated above, early ones had tranny issues. His fix was to change his fluid every 20,000 miles. Think he got 195,000 on his 2002 and now has a 2010.

He felt the earlier model was better built, interior and seats for sure. I wouldn't let 80K miles scare me. However, ours is mainly our winter car and not for primary use.

I was shopping hard for an MDX, but found a deal I couldn't pass up on a one owner Lexus RX-350. I don't think you could go wrong with either.
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles

Last edited by LakeCleElum; 04-12-2018 at 06:56 AM..
Old 04-12-2018, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

(the shotguns)

no experience to offer other than to say it's on the list for us when the wife is ready to abandon the minivan.

only concern is road noise which we have found to be somewhat prevalent with Honda products. not sure if the mdx ever had this issue but a test drive would surely answer the question.
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Thank you for the thoughtful responses; they put my mind at ease a bit.

I asked the salesman about the water pump & timing belt, and he said that that job is usually due at 105K miles for $900, but if I want it done prior to purchase, they would split the cost with us. Does this sound reasonable? Mind you: I do most of my car maintenance myself -- some of you might remember I did a top-end rebuild in my home garage on my 951 when I blew the head gasket about 10 years ago. And now I have a MUCH better-equipped garage. Would a water pump/timing belt job be worth doing myself in two years? I'm sure it's not as involved or stress-inducing as a 944-series timing belt job...
Current Stable: Black 07 Porsche Cayman S: FabSpeed Maxflo Exhaust; VividRacing ECU Tune; IPD Competition Plenum; 997GT3 Throttle Body; De-Snork'd.2011 Acura MDX. 2008 Mazda 3. Gone But Not Forgotten:Garnet Red 86 Porsche 951("The Purple Pig"). Silver 09 Mini Cooper S ("Mighty Mouse"). Alpine White 83 Porsche 944 ("Alpine Wolf"). Guards Red 84 Porsche 944. Green 97 Volvo 850 Wagon ("The Viridian Falcon").
Old 04-12-2018, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Writer/Teacher

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
no experience to offer other than to say it's on the list for us when the wife is ready to abandon the minivan.

only concern is road noise which we have found to be somewhat prevalent with Honda products. not sure if the mdx ever had this issue but a test drive would surely answer the question.
During my test drives, I didn't notice a preponderance of road noise, but then again anything seems quiet after my 987S with Fabspeed exhaust, as well as my father-in-law's massive Chevy truck that I've been driving for a couple weeks.

What I will say is that the MDX is built on the same platform as the Honda Pilot, so you would think they would be similar driving experiences... but no. The Honda drives much more like a truck and the MDX feels significantly more "car-like." I'm sure the difference comes down to a more advanced suspension setup in the MDX.

What SHOCKED me was that the MDX felt more nimble and "car-like" than the various Audi Q5s and Q7s we've driven. That was totally contrary to expectations.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
We owned a 2003 and a 2008. The 2008 was flawless. Never had a single issue. The only reasons we didn't keep it are quite silly.
My wife thought it was too soccer-momish and she wanted something larger (She got an Escalade).
The car was quiet and very comfortable on long rides. The only things we did was maintenance, a pollen filter (do it yourself and save $$), and tires.
The useage of space was so much better than the Escalade that we were shocked that we had more real interior space then the larger ride.
I would not hesitate to get another one.

For the record, we got rear-ended on I4 in Orlando. The following car driver was eating lunch and didn't know that all cars had come to a complete stop. We took a full hit at around 50mph to the back of the Escalade. The entire truck bent and the spare tire sprung free after the hit (I think it greatly aided in the impact energy dissipation. The frame was bent, and the body twisted and buckled. We were fine. Mass definitely helps.

She now drives a 2014 Jeep SRT with almost 500hp and brembo brakes. Better to avoid the wreck if possible.

Overall, highly recommend the MDX.

08 911 C2S
13 Audi A4
13 MB ML350 Bluetec

Last edited by t951; 04-12-2018 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-12-2018, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

My car guy neighbor friend had a 2010-ish bought new, and upgraded to a 2016 (I think). His 2010 was a good solid car that he ended up giving to his son. The only issue I'm aware of with his 2016 was a rattle inside of the dash that was fixed under warranty. I drove the 2016 a good 250 miles when I helped him pick up a used truck in MO, it was a nice vehicle but I was pretty underwhelmed overall. If you like them I'm sure it will be an incredibly reliable and practical SUV that will hold its value well, just like every other Honda.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
(the shotguns)

I would absolutely take the dealer up on splitting the water pump/timing belt if you buy.

Make sure to look at it before and take pics to compare after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well i had #6 adjusted perfectly but then just before i tightened it a butterfly in Zimbabwe farted and now i have to start all over again!
I believe we all make mistakes but I will not validate your poor choices and/or perversions and subsidize the results your actions.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berettafan View Post
I would absolutely take the dealer up on splitting the water pump/timing belt if you buy.

Make sure to look at it before and take pics to compare after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree, figure what parts are gonna cost and I'm sure it's a bit of a pain to do, so for $450, I would have them do it.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I was about to buy a '10 from my buddy but he mentioned the suspension "clunking" so we took it in to Acura and only to find out the shocks needed to be replaced but those suckers are the smart (with electronics) kind and the bill was shy of $3500. So that was only the suspension...

For my pocket that is too much to fix in "basic" repairs.. so I declined..

My other buddy bought it and still drives it today.. his only complain is the premium gas and poor gas mileage.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oracle View Post
My other buddy bought it and still drives it today.. his only complain is the premium gas and poor gas mileage.
Very heavy.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I have a 2003 that will be for sale shortly. Transmissions of that era were crap. My first tranny went out but was replaced under warranty. I did have to pay some labor. Second tranny is going out now. Also working on the second engine but I blame my wife for that death.

Overall, the car has been ok. Good family car and can seat 7 with a large dog. Odometer registers about 293K miles. I haven't followed the reliability of the more recent cars but I would check the MDX forum which provides good info.
Old 04-12-2018, 12:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJFusco View Post
Thank you for the thoughtful responses; they put my mind at ease a bit.

I asked the salesman about the water pump & timing belt, and he said that that job is usually due at 105K miles for $900, but if I want it done prior to purchase, they would split the cost with us. Does this sound reasonable? Mind you: I do most of my car maintenance myself -- some of you might remember I did a top-end rebuild in my home garage on my 951 when I blew the head gasket about 10 years ago. And now I have a MUCH better-equipped garage. Would a water pump/timing belt job be worth doing myself in two years? I'm sure it's not as involved or stress-inducing as a 944-series timing belt job...
belt in that isnt that bad but it can be a little tough to keep the cams lined up. Simple enough to use a tool or just go through it a couple times. Figure ~$80 in good aftermarket parts.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

we looked at them nit along ago along with the Honda pilot,
we went with an 13 pilot with 44k on it for 18k. did not see the need to spend more for the MDX.

take a look at theft recovery vehicles.
a lot of times people dump the cars just to get out of the car payment.
the cars are then gone thru pretty thorough by a shop and then re- titled. not a salvage title.
do some research on the process.

our pilot should have been around 25k. we don't plan on selling it so we are not worried about resale value.
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 04-13-2018, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Just thinking out loud

We have an 09 with a 166K, have not done anything to it, but will do struts, timing belt this summer.

Brother has an 08 with 150K, has done both of the aforementioned, timing belt still looked new at 140K.

Mother has an 07 with 135K, did have the torque converter replaced by Acura (known issue). No timing belt replacement, but has had the bank 1 cat replaced. (po420) The firewall cat is an issue it seems. She is picking up my cousins 2016 this month, no idea on mileage.

I do know that the Hands Free Link controller can go bad causing a draw draining the battery. Ours was bad when we bought it, dealer replaced it at no charge. I've oven baked all the other dead HFL controllers back to life for the family.

I don't know much about the newer ones, but my cousin loves the MDX over all other Acura vehicles, always get a new one.

Last edited by mattdavis11; 04-13-2018 at 03:47 AM..
Old 04-13-2018, 03:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I ran a 2005 MDX to 160k with no issues beyond normal maintenance and wish I had kept it. My wife has a very gently used Lexus RX330 we bought with under 50k in miles and now close to 70k. It has also been bomb proof so far. The Acura handles better, the Lexus is nice but is way softer and not as confidence inspiring.

I just ran into my ex sis in law and her husband. They have a first gen MDX so early 2000's? They've had since new and want a newer car but it won't die.

I wouldn't hesitate. Simple common sense applies. Buy the nicest one you can afford with good maintenance history.
Old 04-13-2018, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: