Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
non-whiner

Nice Man Cave in New York!

While the wife and I were looking for a home in NY, I found this place. The main house has room for 8 cars including a wash stall and workshop on the first floor (with a bar/pool table party area). If thatís not enough, it then has a separate 6 car garage. I wonder what is lurking under those car covers?

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/18-Patterson-Brook-Rd-TUXEDO-PARK-NY-10987/31852360_zpid/

Old 06-16-2018, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Property taxes a mere $24K in 2017...hmmmm .
Old 06-16-2018, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mreid View Post
I wonder what is lurking under those car covers?
The spoils of the divorce?
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 06-16-2018, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
∆∆∆ Looks like a couple 911s, at least.
Old 06-16-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

24k in property taxes is a non starter for me
Old 06-16-2018, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
non-whiner

I didn’t say I intended to buy it. When I research a new area, I always look at the surrounding properties, recent sales, list price to actual sales price, and yes property taxes. Zillow is an amazing resource for this analysis. I looked at the pictures of this property randomly and that’s when I saw the garage mahal. I’m tempted to go see it just to peak under the car covers.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

That’s a lot of tax for ****ty schools.
Old 06-16-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

But is there a frog problem?
Old 06-16-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
That's a great looking house and surrounding property. I really like the kitchen because I spend a lot of time cooking and entertaining.

Old 06-16-2018, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
I didnít say I intended to buy it. When I research a new area, I always look at the surrounding properties, recent sales, list price to actual sales price, and yes property taxes. Zillow is an amazing resource for this analysis. I looked at the pictures of this property randomly and thatís when I saw the garage mahal. Iím tempted to go see it just to peak under the car covers.
I kind of doubt that the RE agent would let you touch the guyís cars.

As for the house, itís nothing special. Iíve seen worse, though. The garage is fantastic.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
beancounter

$24k in property taxes in the NY metro zone isn't extraordinary. A quick look in Zillow shows that a modest home in Tuxedo Park at <25% of the "garage mahal" house's asking price and perhaps 1/2 the square footage will have a $10k+ property tax bill attached.

We have the highest property taxes in the country here. Its one of the reasons why people often flee the scene upon retirement. Its also the reason why a family living here with an income level that is considered "wealthy" or "rich" in much of the country isn't living high on the hog by local standards.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
non-whiner

That’s a good point. A similarly priced home in Westchester county had taxes over $40k.

Btw, my wife looked at this house and said, “a man must have designed this thing. It’s all garage with a bar, pool table and party room on the first floor. You have to go upstairs to find the kitchen and more traditional house. The only reason I know you didn’t design it is there is no dumb waiter from the kitchen to the garage so I could send you food and beer.” She knows me!
Old 06-17-2018, 05:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
non-whiner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwasbury View Post
$24k in property taxes in the NY metro zone isn't extraordinary. A quick look in Zillow shows that a modest home in Tuxedo Park at <25% of the "garage mahal" house's asking price and perhaps 1/2 the square footage will have a $10k+ property tax bill attached.

We have the highest property taxes in the country here. Its one of the reasons why people often flee the scene upon retirement. Its also the reason why a family living here with an income level that is considered "wealthy" or "rich" in much of the country isn't living high on the hog by local standards.
Itís also why there are so many properties for sale. If you use Zillow, select Filter, select For Sale and Recently Sold, and you will the for sale properties in red and the sold in yellow. The for sale are just that. The recently sold are from the last three years. If you see more yellow than red, thatís a good sign that properties are moving, but real deals may be scarce. Where you see more red than yellow, beware but realize there may be some fantastic deals hidden in the area. A quick check of asking prices and time on the market (donít use the ďtime on ZillowĒ shown at the top of the page, use the sales/tax history drop down) shows some houses have been for sale for years and have come down significantly in price. Buyer beware, but there are strong negotiations opportunities for someone who needs to be in the area and recognizes the true total cost of ownership vs. sales price is what matters.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Two garages, one on the ground floor, one free standing, have radiant heat and upwards of 15-car capacity, providing exceptional spaces for showcasing a fine automobile collection, potential studios for musicians or artists, or crafts workshop.
I calculated 19 potential spaces, not sure why they listed 15.

The lower level of the house with the 33'-10" depth could in theory squeeze in cars front to back in tandem if only 16 feet long or less like an old Porsche 911.

My Geo Tracker was less than 12 feet long, and an old Willys Jeep I bet is even shorter.

I was faced with a similar design situation recently, and elected for more flexibility in automobile lengths. Why not go the extra three or four feet so that one could open the hood and tinker a bit? At least to be able to get a battery tender going without damaging your shins. I ended up with 38 feet inside dimension minus the garage door thickness of few inches each end. That four extra feet in garage length isn't going to bust the project, 48 SF more in my case.

Thanks for posting this project, funny how the tax cost seems to be the issues and not heating all that space including the garages.

I really hope they used a geothermal heat pump system and insulated above code minimums.
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 06-17-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Old 06-17-2018, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
non-whiner

George, I wondered about the same thing, but it was a carriage house that was rebuilt on the same foundation about 10 years ago. Tuxedo Park is on the national historical registry which significantly limits what you can build. Fun fact, tailless men’s evening wear (tuxedo) was named after the town.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
George, I wondered about the same thing, but it was a carriage house that was rebuilt on the same foundation about 10 years ago. Tuxedo Park is on the national historical registry which significantly limits what you can build. Fun fact, tailless men’s evening wear (tuxedo) was named after the town.
Yea the carriage house (free standing garage) accounts for 8-spaces, not sure of the internal dimensions as I didn't see a plan of it.

The big new house that they show plans for has a 2-car in tandem slot in the middle, and the four car garage to the right, it's that to the right one that I was discussing with the 33'-10" depth.

Must have a lot of workshop space to fuddle around with on the back wall.
George, Architect
Old 06-17-2018, 07:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

My garage expansion project?
Iím buying a used shipping container
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 06-17-2018, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

First of all looking thru all those other useless pictureswaiting to see what my future garage looks like was a waste of time ....from looking at his car collection I don’t think he’s worried about the 24 k taxes ......
18 Chevy Colorado diesel
BIG RED Firetruck and assorted v-dub ,porsche parts hoarder..LoL
Old 06-18-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nice guy eddie

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
My garage expansion project?
Iím buying a used shipping container
The price of shipping containers has risen over 50% in the last year on the west coast due to certain changes in trade policy. Iíve priced them very recently we bought one not long ago.

Used ones used to be $1500 forever, now more like $2500. So I guess that is more than 50%.
Old 06-18-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Just checking some Zillow homes, a comparably priced house in the Chicago suburbs has property taxes of $40,000 or so.

The beauty of this house is the wood. You don't get that out west very often.

Old 06-18-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: