Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Bush Accepts Vietman Iraq Comparison

Bush II finally owns up to the Iraq quagmire. Is this president f'ed up or what?

Quote:
By ED O'KEEFE

WASHINGTON, Oct. 18, 2006 President Bush said in a one-on-one interview with ABC News' George Stephanopoulos that a newspaper column comparing the current fighting in Iraq to the 1968 Tet offensive in Vietnam, which was widely seen as the turning point in that war, might be accurate.

Stephanopoulos asked whether the president agreed with the opinion of columnist Tom Friedman, who wrote in The New York Times today that the situation in Iraq may be equivalent to the Tet offensive in Vietnam almost 40 years ago.

"He could be right," the president said, before adding, "There's certainly a stepped-up level of violence, and we're heading into an election."

"George, my gut tells me that they have all along been trying to inflict enough damage that we'd leave," Bush said. "And the leaders of al Qaeda have made that very clear. Look, here's how I view it. First of all, al Qaeda is still very active in Iraq. They are dangerous. They are lethal. They are trying to not only kill American troops, but they're trying to foment sectarian violence. They believe that if they can create enough chaos, the American people will grow sick and tired of the Iraqi effort and will cause government to withdraw."

Bush said he could not imagine any circumstances under which all U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Iraq before the end of his presidency.

"You mean every single troop out? No," he told Stephanopoulos.

Bush also had some tough words for Democrats, saying that pulling troops from Iraq would be the equivalent of surrender.

"If we were to leave before the job is done, in my judgment, the al Qaeda would find a safe haven from which to attack. This is exactly what they said," Bush said. The president insisted he was not disparaging his opponents.

"It's not questioning their patriotism. I think it's questioning their judgment," he said.
http://abcnews.go.com/WNT/story?id=2583579
Old 10-19-2006, 04:14 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

How is acknowledging the mess over there fuched up? If he denies it, he's fuched up. If he acknowledges it, he's fuched up.
'93 Ducati 900 Super Sport
"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 10-19-2006, 04:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yeah. I wonder who got him into this predicament.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Oh, and I also like his blaming the insurgency on al Queda. Clever.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Higgins
How is acknowledging the mess over there fuched up? If he denies it, he's fuched up. If he acknowledges it, he's fuched up.
Yeah, he's fuched up. Glad you've noticed that.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

in addition to being fuched up, he's a war criminal that should be trying like Saddam is being tried.

Invading Iraq as a retaliation for 9/11 was a crime. 72 US soldiers dead so far this month, hundreds of Iraqis. that makes a lot of grieving families tonight. but how can a couple hundred millionaires in Washington corrupt with power relate to the very poor suffering 5,000 miles away? the answer is they can't.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by on-ramp
in addition to being fuched up, he's a war criminal that should be trying like Saddam is being tried.

Invading Iraq as a retaliation for 9/11 was a crime. 72 US soldiers dead so far this month, hundreds of Iraqis. that makes a lot of grieving families tonight. but how can a couple hundred millionaires in Washington corrupt with power relate to the very poor suffering 5,000 miles away? the answer is they can't.
This is the Republican Party at it's core. It's been the party of tariffs, increase taxes, personal income taxes.

Get a grip.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:16 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

And so begins the backpedaling and flip-flopping.

What are the euphinisms that can be used for "cut and run"?
Old 10-19-2006, 07:37 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Bush said he could not imagine any circumstances under which all U.S. troops would be withdrawn from Iraq before the end of his presidency.

"You mean every single troop out? No," he told Stephanopoulos.

Bush also had some tough words for Democrats, saying that pulling troops from Iraq would be the equivalent of surrender.
My response to this is that B2 better get his a$$ in gear and get the job done. What he's shown us to date is that everything he does foreign policy-wise is half-a$$ed.

Last edited by Jim Richards; 10-20-2006 at 06:06 AM..
Old 10-20-2006, 06:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I watched a politically based movie with my 6 yo grandson the other day, and it seemed to sum up the current situation, skewing both sides:

"Chicken Little"
Old 10-20-2006, 11:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Old 10-20-2006, 11:07 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: