Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Banned

Obama quickly reverses on Veterans care

Facing the early stages of intense criticism, Administration changes tune:

Fox news

President Obama, after an uproar by veterans groups, has scrapped a plan to require private insurance carriers to reimburse the Department of Veterans Affairs for the treatment of troops injured in service.

"In considering the third-party billing issue, the administration was seeking to maximize the resources available for veterans," White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said Wednesday in a written statement. "However, the president listened to concerns raised by the [veteran service organizations] that this might, under certain circumstances, affect veterans' and their families' ability to access health care.

"Therefore, the president has instructed that its consideration be dropped," Gibbs said.

Obama met with 11 veterans service organizations on Monday and explained his plan to increase funding for Veterans Affairs by $25 billion over five years and bring more than 500,000 eligible veterans of modest income into the VA health care system by 2013.

But the American Legion, the nation's largest veterans group, said the president's plan would have increased premiums, made insurance unaffordable for veterans and imposed a massive hardship on military families. It could have also prevented small businesses from hiring veterans who have large health care needs, the group said.

The American Legion applauded Obama's decision to drop the plan on Wednesday.

"We are glad that President Obama listened to the strong objections raised by The American Legion and veterans everywhere about this unfair plan," Cmdr. David K. Rehbein of the American Legion said. "We thank the administration for its proposed increase in the VA budget and we are always available to assist by providing guidance to ensure a veterans health are system that is worthy of the heroes that use it."

The American Legion wants the existing system to remain in place. Service-related injuries currently are treated and paid for by the government. The American Legion has proposed that Medicare reimburse the VA for the treatment of veterans.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/first100days/2009/03/18/obama-drops-controversial-health-care-plan-wounded-veterans/

Last edited by m21sniper; 03-18-2009 at 04:42 PM..
Old 03-18-2009, 04:39 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Wandered off somewhere...

Garage
You mean 180's but who's counting ;-)
Old 03-18-2009, 04:40 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
So is this in the "Obama did the right thing and listened to opponents" file or is it in the "See, Obama has no convictions" pile?
Old 03-18-2009, 04:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdogface View Post
You mean 180's but who's counting ;-)
what's 179 or so between friends?
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Haha, yep! I can fix that!

<--- goes to advanced edit mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
So is this in the "Obama did the right thing and listened to opponents" file or is it in the "See, Obama has no convictions" pile?
Equal parts into both piles?
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
This is the "he was dumb in the first place" file and he should change his mind.
He doesn't get credit for changing on things that were stupid.

Gene Simmons on voting for Obama
"I want my vote back"
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 03-18-2009, 04:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
This is the "he was dumb in the first place" file and he should change his mind.
He doesn't get credit for changing on things that were stupid.
You are right about that- this proposal of his was completely over the top stupid. So stupid it should have never been proposed, because whatever perception of him being a military hater there was before is now solidified. The damage is largely already done.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The fact that this proposal was not dismissed outright when first uttered and we even heard about speaks volumes of the values Obama has (or does not have) and the kind of people he surrounds himself with.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 03-18-2009, 05:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nostatic View Post
This is the Obama "coming to his senses and realizing he's bleeding political capital out of too many orifices." Always judge a man by his first or gut instinct. Making vets pay for their own healthcare was Obama's gut instinct. Dropping the idea was purely a matter of political expediency.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
This is the Obama "coming to his senses and realizing he's bleeding political capital out of too many orifices." Always judge a man by his first or gut instinct. Making vets pay for their own healthcare was Obama's gut instinct. Dropping the idea was purely a matter of political expediency.
right on. he finally did the right thing for the wrong reason. he continues to disappoint.

I was born a rightie but now I'm a leftie.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Capt Zero first follows the Far Left on policy and then he "might" change course under political psi.

no problem.. It ain't over. The Far Left will figure something else out to screw the military or strategic policy.
SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 03-19-2009, 03:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 03-19-2009, 04:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

SSI Monty
MSD JPI
w x6
Old 03-19-2009, 04:23 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Detached Member

The fact that he even considered it shows how truly scummy and evil he actually is. More to come I predict.
30 Rudge Whitworth Grand Prix Ulster (Factory racer which competeted in the 1930 World Cup at the Isle of Man) Check out the British bike article I posted on my Rudge at this link http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/433622-my-1930-rudge-whitworth-british-bike-magazine-pics.html
Old 03-19-2009, 11:42 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcecale View Post

Randy
Love it.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Banned

Where's K.Roman and all the other leftist apologists?

I guess they all somehow missed BOTH threads on this subject.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Who did the what now?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh R View Post
The fact that he even considered it shows how truly scummy and evil he actually is. More to come I predict.
Absolutely. I heard an opinion on Armstrong and Getty this morning that the administration is going to try anything they can come up with, just to see what they can get away with, not unlike a small child testing the limits of their parents.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
Absolutely. I heard an opinion on Armstrong and Getty this morning that the administration is going to try anything they can come up with, just to see what they can get away with, not unlike a small child testing the limits of their parents.
You seriously believe this?

Quote:
Where's K.Roman and all the other leftist apologists?
I'll speak up and say that I don't have enough experience to say anything definite on the matter. Plus, it's a Fox News article, which I'll automatically suspect. I'll need to read up on things further.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!
Who did the what now?

Garage
You seriously doubt it? Only time they appear to be reasonable is when they get caught

Just like his Chief of Staff says, never let a crisis go to waste.
Old 03-19-2009, 12:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Banned

No need, he already reversed himself. This fox news article is just the one stating that Osama has reversed course.

11 Veterans groups issued statements after Obama's original plans became known. What he wanted to do was make Veterans (including those wounded in battle) bill their private insurance companies for payment, instead of the Government paying for it.

The very notion of that is a total affront to the sacrifices of our troops.

What's more, soldiers do not even have private insurance to begin with, because they have Gov't insurance. Good luck getting a new private insurance policy after you just got discharged because you had a leg blown off, or you have PTSD.

These are actual quotes from Non-partisan individuals:

Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion:

"It became apparent during our discussion today that the President intends to move forward with this unreasonable plan," said Commander David K. Rehbein of The American Legion. "He says he is looking to generate $540-million by this method, but (he) refused to hear arguments about the moral and government-avowed obligations that would be compromised by it."

"This reimbursement plan would be inconsistent with the mandate ' to care for him who shall have borne the battle' given that the United States government sent members of the armed forces into harm's way, and not private insurance companies.

I say again that The American Legion does not and will not support any plan that seeks to bill a veteran for treatment of a service connected disability at the very agency that was created to treat the unique need of America's veterans!"

The group's early afternoon conversation at The White House was precipitated by a letter of protest presented to the President earlier this month. The letter, co-signed by Commander Rehbein and the heads of ten colleague organizations, read, in part:

"There is simply no logical explanation for billing a veteran's personal insurance for care that the VA has a responsibility to provide. While we understand the fiscal difficulties this country faces right now, placing the burden of those fiscal problems on the men and women who have already sacrificed a great deal for this country is unconscionable."

--------------

To any veteran, this bill had it been implemented would have been tantamount to an act of war. The very fact that he even brought it up is a deeply piercing insult.

It is in affront to the bond that the US military has with the civilian leadership of this country, a civilian leadership that the US military has protected from all comers for over 200 years.

IOW, this plan was outright political suicide- the fact that it got as far as it did is a glaring indicator of just how totally screwed in the head Obama is.

He clearly just does not get it. To many of us Veterans, it seems like Osama doesn't give one damn about us or the sacrifices Veterans have made for this country. He comes across as a social elitist who would never mingle with military folks in his free time, and who looks down on military members as something less than himself.

I really do not like Zero at all. He is far worse than Clinton IMO- already.

Last edited by m21sniper; 03-19-2009 at 12:45 PM..
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 03-19-2009, 12:35 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: