Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

SCOE Great Grandfather

I read on "Mosque" thread that you may want info on your GreatGF born in Charleston, SC in late 1800s.

I live in upstate SC. Many of the counties are going digital with public records these days. Churches & museums are also good places if you want to visit & look over births, deaths, marraiges, old deeds, etc.

You seem to carry a heavy burden of slavery. Your GGF wasn't born a slave. He didn't have to see his children & grandchildren carried to the sale just so there was enough money to care for him in his old age, kind of like the Gov is doing to our kids & grandkids now. Slavery in USA was abolished in 1865 & in captured Confederate territory in 1863.

He was born into the Black Codes though. These were severe restrictions placed on Blacks after Reconstruction. From "American Heritage" article about the only Civil War momument for an enlisted man, no Negroes were allowed in the SC Militia. Henry Brown of Darlington Co, who the article was about, was an exception.

You probably have slaves as ancestors, since few free Blacks entered SC. You probably have Freemen as ancestors, too. No slaves were imported after early 1800s & at this time about 20% of Blacks in SC were Freemen. They had either earned or bought their freedom, or if Christians freed after 7 years per English common law.

SC was one of the toughest states on laws for slaves after DeVessey. Slaves couldn't be taught to read or write or own firearms.

Some of the Free Blacks were slaveowners themselves. It is suspected that many of these were buying kinfolk instead of somebody to work.

Don't be surprised if you find a Confederate soldier in your background. It was in Charleston Harbor that the US refused to turn over Ft Sumter that the Confederate Gov had paid for. The US was warned that any attempts to resupply or reinforce would be looked on as an invasion. At this time Free Blacks were in the miltia & they mustered into the Confederate Army upon the invasion of their state.

wife has 924 turbo
Old 07-23-2011, 07:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
no mon no fun

Garage
Thanks for the info drew it is most appreciated. I don't think I have a slavery chip on my shoulder. I was exasperated by Drdogface questioning my patriotism and rightfully said, I was just as "American" as he is...if not more so.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoe911 View Post
Thanks for the info drew it is most appreciated. I don't think I have a slavery chip on my shoulder. I was exasperated by Drdogface questioning my patriotism and rightfully said, I was just as "American" as he is...if not more so.
Begs the question, why do you think you are more American than him?
but I have asked you this before.

Gene Simmons on voting for Obama
"I want my vote back"
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 07-25-2011, 06:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
no mon no fun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
Begs the question, why do you think you are more American than him?
but I have asked you this before.
Beygon, go back and look at what I wrote. I wrote, "I dare say" I was more American as he was. I'm sticking with that statement. Can I prove it conclusively without more research? Not at this time...would you care to fund my research?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Puny Bird

Is one more American if their family has been here longer? or if you're a patriot? or a liberal? or a conservative?
White? Black? Native American?
Christian? muslim? Jew? etc?
Rich, middle class or poor?
Old 07-25-2011, 08:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
no mon no fun

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Henry View Post
Is one more American if their family has been here longer? or if you're a patriot? or a liberal? or a conservative?
White? Black? Native American?
Christian? muslim? Jew? etc?
Rich, middle class or poor?
No... however, let's just say the debate "digressed" to this "truth".
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: