Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 2.33 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Dweller on the Threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
Compare it to the BCA - I think that is the compromise the Dems thought they had in place seahawk.
I agree, you are 100% correct. From the Hennessey link:

The Senate, which has not passed a budget resolution in two years, will be “deemed” to have passed a budget resolution for this year and next year. In other words, for the purpose of budget points of order on the Senate floor, it will be as if the Senate had done a budget resolution. This will apply to both FY12 (this year) and FY13 (next year), meaning there will be no pressure for the Senate to consider a budget resolution on the floor before 2013.

Senate Budget Committee Chairman Conrad will reportedly commit to at least a committee markup of next year’s budget resolution.

Which is complete Bravo Sierra and a failure of government on both sides of the aisle...all in an effort to increase the debt ceiling.

Here is the WH version: http://www.keithhennessey.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/debt-control-act-white-house-fact-sheet.pdf

The BCA was a sham and no one seems to care that both sides are equally culpable.
Old 05-15-2012, 09:38 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #61 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahawk View Post
I'm going to try the Darsic method:

You mean, the DARISC method? (it's an acronym). I didn't think of it as a method, more,"Did you read and digest this?"

Anyway, glad to see you're engaging foxpaws in discussing this issue, about which I know little. I hope to learn something if others don't destroy the intercourse you two have begun (yeah, I could have chosen another word. ).

Last edited by DARISC; 05-15-2012 at 09:57 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 09:55 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #62 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
But seahawk - out of the ashes of the whole debt ceiling debacle - we have real budget cuts - across the board, that both sides agreed on.

The Ryan budget ignores all that compromise that is is place.

The Democrats are best off to allow the automatic cuts to take place. Every compromise that they have would be giving back above and beyond the BCA - while the GOP would gain bigger military spending and more tax cuts for the wealthy.

The current budget battle is a no-win situation for the Dems - they fought the battle 9 months ago - there is no reason for them to continue to fight - they would lose even more - bigger cuts to entitlements, education, infrastructure, and gain nothing.

The GOP is showing its true colors - and it took only 9 months for them to do so. They weren't really ever going to consider big military cuts - they weren't ever going to be happy with decent sized cuts in social spending. Compromise? Nah - we'll just go back at budget time and force this down their throats. Well, too bad - the senate can do what the senate is doing - nothing... It sucks - but it is actually the best way for the Dems to proceed at this moment.

Embrace the BCA....
Old 05-15-2012, 09:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #63 (permalink)
Dweller on the Threshold

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
Embrace the BCA....
Here is the cognitive dissonance. The President's Budget is submitted, goes to the House, then to the Senate, then back to the President.

O had some issues in his 2013 budget, which did not embrace the BCA: Obama's budget would add $6.4 trillion to debt - CBO - Mar. 16, 2012

I love me some CNN: They don't say it, but the Presbud would add to the deficit beyond the BCA..

From the link: While no president's budget is ever adopted by Congress wholesale or even in large part, this year there isn't likely to be any real action on anyone's budget proposal -- including one expected next week from House Budget Chairman Paul Ryan -- until after the presidential election in November.

That's when Congress will face a number of fateful fiscal decisions, such as whether to extend the Bush-era tax cuts and whether to replace nearly $1 trillion in automatic spending cuts that nobody wants but which are scheduled to take effect in January 2013.

The BCA was a stop-gap measure for re-elections...some "leaders".

Which they are now ignoring. Frauds, all of them. The House trashed the O budget because it trashed the BCA. Then, when the going gets rough, they blame Ryan, who has a Constitutional duty to submit a budget, the BCA be damned.

And nobody cares. Amazing.

Last edited by Seahawk; 05-15-2012 at 11:59 AM..
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #64 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Seahawk -

Why did you leave out this part...
Under the so-called alternative fiscal scenario, where Congress simply extends a number of favored policies, cumulative deficits would reach nearly $11 trillion.
Also - I expect you have done some research- Ryan's budget doesn't get rid of loopholes in the tax code - just a fuzzy promise of 'we'll look at them'. Can you imagine how much the government debt is going to rise with not only the tax rate lowered - but allowing loopholes to remain?

Ryan's budget claims to be deficit 'neutral' but that is projecting that tax loopholes will be closed- they won't. And if you just go by the tax deductions - and factor in the ones Ryan 'claims' he will look into closing... you still have huge reductions in tax revenue.
The Tax Policy Center says that major tax cuts included in the Ryan budget would reduce federal revenue by $418 billion in 2015 alone; by 2019, revenue losses would exceed half a trillion dollars each and every year. That will make the deficit worse, not better.

< snip >

Just as a reminder, Ryan proposes a 10-percentage-point deduction for the wealthiest of Americans.

At some point, we do need to seriously address our nation’s financial situation. That point will clearly have to come after the election. But in the meantime, spare us the histrionics. You cannot claim to be serious about the deficit while in the same breath proposing multi-trillion reductions in government revenue.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:12 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #65 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyg2 View Post
And here's a clue for the brain-dead libs: we know what's going on even if you are too dumb to figure it out.
The brain-dead are really the "conservatives". They don't need a brain because they want to keep everything the same no matter how circumstances change. They have the brain of a rock that does not change in billions of years!
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 12:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #66 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinhere View Post
Interesting read:

"The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

The piece drew its authority from the authors' identity: Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein, two of Washington's most veteran watchers of Congress. Both men have hard-earned reputations for nonideological independence of mind despite their institutional affiliations: Mann works at the liberal Brookings Institution, Ornstein at the conservative American Enterprise Institute. (Ornstein is a friend of mine, and was a colleague until I was given the heave-ho from AEI in March 2010.)

Details:

From the Washington Post:

Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem. - The Washington Post

From CCN:

Fear fueling Republican extremism - CNN.com
Oooh, another PARF sacred cow cut into a slider. Time to gnash the teeth, rip the cloth, cut the hair and blame Obama.

Making the world Sammy free one liberal at a time.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #67 (permalink)

Why is it the you "conservatives do not wnt to own up to your senate leader's McConnell's simple statement: ”My job is to defeat Barack Obama”? He said it loud and clear. And he callously uses the filibuster to stop the country in its tracks! That is why nothing in congress gets done. Simple as that!
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 12:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #68 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by porwolf View Post
Why is it the you "conservatives do not wnt to own up to your senate leader's McConnell's simple statement: ”My job is to defeat Barack Obama”? He said it loud and clear. And he callously uses the filibuster to stop the country in its tracks! That is why nothing in congress gets done. Simple as that!
If defeating Obama is defending liberty, Freedom and the pursuit of happiness, where do I sign up?
Old 05-15-2012, 01:58 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #69 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72doug2,2S View Post
If defeating Obama is defending liberty, Freedom and the pursuit of happiness, where do I sign up?
One question to you Doug: Does your definition of "freedom" also include freedom from religion?
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 02:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #70 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
One question to you Doug: Does your definition of "freedom" also include freedom from religion?
One question to you Por: Does your definition of "freedom" also include freedom for religion?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #71 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
One question to you Por: Does your definition of "freedom" also include freedom for religion?
So you are ready to embrace Sharia law now?
1989 modified Scat II HP Hovercraft
George, Architect & Business Owner
Old 05-15-2012, 03:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #72 (permalink)
Banned

he's rejected scientific knowledge (in at least a couple of areas), so why not?
Old 05-15-2012, 04:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #73 (permalink)
Who did the what now?

Garage
It is freedom of religion, ya simpletons
Old 05-15-2012, 04:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #74 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
So you are ready to embrace Sharia law now?
is Sharia Law a religion?

Gene Simmons on voting for Obama
"I want my vote back"
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 05-15-2012, 04:42 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #75 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
Absolutely! If you define it as your personal belief only, equal to the beliefs of others in any other religion and, of course, the belief of anybody who does not believe in any religions.
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #76 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
is Sharia Law a religion?
Sharia law is law based on religion like laws based on "Christian" religion. As practiced in the past in Salem, with the catholic inquisition in medieval Spain, and the prosecutions of non catholics around the reformation. I could go on and on about evil versions of "Christian' based laws in the past. And maybe again, in the future, if the Republicans win absolute control of the US and State governments?
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 05:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #77 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
It is freedom of religion, ya simpletons
So, is it then your understanding that feedom of religion means nobody has the right to be free from religion?
65 912 Coupe Sold
62 356B Coupe Sold
Old 05-15-2012, 05:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #78 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
So, is it then your understanding that feedom of religion means nobody has the right to be free from religion?
Yes, porwolf, it is you who is addressing the simpleton, not the other way around. Simpletons don't perceive, understand or appreciate the complexities of the ever changing world we live in.

Even if you're atheist, these simpletons don't believe you have the right to be free from religion...so they declare atheism to be a religion then attack it because they are frightened that it will spread and wipe out their religions. Atheists just knocked on my door - damned godless pests! Just kidding; they were Jehovah's Witnesses.

These simpletons are also, of course, frightened that gays getting married will wipe out their marriages. The idea of gays getting married and "joining the atheist church" en masse would no doubt be considered absolutely apocalyptically apoplexy provoking to many of these extremist wingnuts.

Simpleton con's minds work in simple ways and the changing world is looked upon with great fear and trembling while yearning to return to a Norman Rockwell world that they don't realize never existed. Tragicomical; what else can one conclude?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:00 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #79 (permalink)
Who did the what now?

Garage
Wolf, is that what I said?

Clearly, no.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #80 (permalink)
Old 05-16-2012, 12:30 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: