Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 2.60 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
it just doesn't matter how a thread starts, kachi can bring it back to Bush did it, or I hate Palin the first page.
Party of crazy people.................

I love that quote.
George, Architect
Old 07-08-2014, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
I'm a bit suspect of the Bush flight money deal as they are comparing one Obama vacation to all of Bush's 8 years of flight.
What about all of Moochelles vacations etc....and Obama's rolled into one ticket.
Bush did fly to Tx quite a bit, too much imo, but he owned the place and wasn't spending thousands a night as Moochelle does.
You know reiver, you seemed like a somewhat OK conservative, we all have differing views, but there are some here that manage to discuss those differences like grown-ups, I put you in that category -

Moochelle's - really - grade school now? More than disappointing.... Something sammy or bey or varmint or afterburn or any of the children would espouse.... so I get to gloss over your responses now as well. Too bad.

Oh - Laura Bush went to Africa on the taxpayer's dime I think 5 times... fyi.... I wonder how much those trips cost? The point of the expense regarding the flights to the ranch is those ALONE racked up 5 times what was perceived as a very expensive vacation for the Obamas, and the Bushes took many other vacations on top of the many ranch getaways.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to fintstone
LOL
BO and his family have made many, many of those expensive vacations in addition to his "normal" travel. Some, by his family were even without him. I suspect if you compare all the travel by both administrations...you would find the current Administraton's dwarfs the previous. I challenge you to prove otherwise.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fintstone View Post
LOL
BO and his family have made many, many of those expensive vacations in addition to his "normal" travel. Some, by his family were even without him. I suspect if you compare all the travel by both administrations...you would find the current Administraton's dwarfs the previous. I challenge you to prove otherwise.
So, people claim that the Obama trip to Africa cost - hummm 60 million...

So 60 million x 5 (number of times Laura went to Africa, 3 times were without George W) = 300 million. There were lots of other vacations, but I think this should do it for now.

I win. I challenge you to prove otherwise.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Garage
Gee Fox, since you are disputing conventional wisdom, I expected you would do some research. I know I would if physically possible.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Gee Fox, since you are disputing conventional wisdom, I expected you would do some research. I know I would if physically possible.
I was trying to illustrate that it is almost impossible to come up with 'costs' regarding these vacations - the Obama African trip was touted to cost anywhere from $16 million to $100 million - who is right? And why wouldn't the Bush trips to Africa be any different - I am sure some cost quite a bit (the safari they took had to be pricy), others perhaps not so much. Perhaps we should have congress give them a vacation budget...
Old 07-08-2014, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Garage
There could be an impartial assessment of travel expenses each family has taken floating out on the Internet, but I don't expect to see that produced nor to be posted by any of the right wing crazies.
George, Architect
Old 07-08-2014, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
I was trying to illustrate that it is almost impossible to come up with 'costs' regarding these vacations - the Obama African trip was touted to cost anywhere from $16 million to $100 million - who is right? And why wouldn't the Bush trips to Africa be any different - I am sure some cost quite a bit (the safari they took had to be pricy), others perhaps not so much. Perhaps we should have congress give them a vacation budget...
They get paid a salary to do their job. The American taxpayer should NOT foot a single dollar's worth of their bill for family vacations. If Michelle (or any other First Lady) is on official travel promoting something, I'm OK with that, but the taxpayer paying for millions and millions of dollars worth of vacations? Not just no, but hell no!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
Obama takes more vacations than any modern president
Published on March 30, 2013 by LiberalBias.com in Featured, Reports
Obama takes more vacations than any modern president | Liberal Bias
Quote:
Fox News claims that Obama has taken more vacations than any recent president. After a LOT of effort, we have finally found a way to prove them correct.

We have to admit, it was tough. After all, during Obama’s first term he was on vacation 131 days, while George W. Bush averaged 510 vacation days per term while in office.
Quite a bit of discussion in the commentary on that page.

3/5 ths of a person rule, inventive.
George, Architect
Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacook View Post
They get paid a salary to do their job. The American taxpayer should NOT foot a single dollar's worth of their bill for family vacations. If Michelle (or any other First Lady) is on official travel promoting something, I'm OK with that, but the taxpayer paying for millions and millions of dollars worth of vacations? Not just no, but hell no!
They almost always do something 'official' on their vacations...

Why the outrage now, is what many of us wonder - lots of outrage over the Obama vacations spread across fNews and other rwm - however, nary a word when it came to the Bush vacations...

And what seems to be the current best thing, 'well, it was bad when Bush did it too.' I guess that could be what you all really believed at the time when Bush (or other presidents) were in office - but why suddenly the offense? Asleep at the wheel for 8 years perhaps? You were mighty quiet then.... and mighty vocal now.

I certainly agree with a set budget and a set number of days off available each year, we are their bosses, something we seem to forget.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Garage
That's funny.
Quote:
Obama takes more vacations than any modern president

Published on March 30, 2013 by LiberalBias.com in Featured, Reports

Obama takes more vacations than any modern president | Liberal Bias

Fox News claims that Obama has taken more vacations than any recent president. After a LOT of effort, we have finally found a way to prove them correct.

We have to admit, it was tough. After all, during Obama’s first term he was on vacation 131 days, while George W. Bush averaged 510 vacation days per term while in office.

Quite a bit of discussion in the commentary on that page.

3/5 ths of a person rule, inventive.
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
National Taxpayers Union Foundation - New Study of Presidential Travel: Obama Spends More Time Abroad than All But One Predecessor
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Garage
Is liberalbias.com really the "impartial assessment" you referred to?

I was especially amused at how they considered every day Bush worked somewhere outside the whitehouse that he was on "vacation".
Old 07-08-2014, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
LOL
So, I would paint you as wrong...
Old 07-08-2014, 01:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
They almost always do something 'official' on their vacations...

Why the outrage now, is what many of us wonder - lots of outrage over the Obama vacations spread across fNews and other rwm - however, nary a word when it came to the Bush vacations...

And what seems to be the current best thing, 'well, it was bad when Bush did it too.' I guess that could be what you all really believed at the time when Bush (or other presidents) were in office - but why suddenly the offense? Asleep at the wheel for 8 years perhaps? You were mighty quiet then.... and mighty vocal now.

I certainly agree with a set budget and a set number of days off available each year, we are their bosses, something we seem to forget.
First off, I wasn't "here" during the Bush years. And I think I was pretty clear that I feel ALL presidents should pay for their own damn vacations. He's a federal employee, as am I. You cool with setting aside a budget to pay for MY vacations, too? How 'bout for the other couple million of us that are federal employees?

Our employer (the taxpayer) gives us a set amount of vacation days and sick days per year, which I greatly appreciate. Now, if I want to use some of those days off to take my family on a nice vacation...that rightly comes out of MY bank account, not the taxpayers'. The president should be no different, as he is just another federal employee (albeit very high level).
Old 07-08-2014, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gacook View Post
First off, I wasn't "here" during the Bush years. And I think I was pretty clear that I feel ALL presidents should pay for their own damn vacations. He's a federal employee, as am I. You cool with setting aside a budget to pay for MY vacations, too? How 'bout for the other couple million of us that are federal employees?

Our employer (the taxpayer) gives us a set amount of vacation days and sick days per year, which I greatly appreciate. Now, if I want to use some of those days off to take my family on a nice vacation...that rightly comes out of MY bank account, not the taxpayers'. The president should be no different, as he is just another federal employee (albeit very high level).
I am not sure, but I believe that most of the time the president is responsible for room and board if they are on a vacation.

The expenses come in with the fact he can't fly commercial, he does have somewhat of an entourage which we foot the bill for, all things that he can't just leave at home.

And yes, being president of the united states is different than any other federal employee. He can't just hop in a car and drive to the Poconos for the weekend. I think the most fair way to do this is set aside a budget for vacations - the logistics make it very difficult for anything else to really happen. He can't possibly pay for Air Force One to fly to even Texas for a 2 week vacation (the plane must stay with him, along with full flight crew at the ready at all times), let alone pay for the SS detail to be housed and fed.

The reality of the office does have to be accounted for.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
The conservatives wouldn't have had to spend a nickel if the administration would have cooperated fully in both investigations.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
Quote:
I am not sure, but I believe that most of the time the president is responsible for room and board if they are on a vacation.

The expenses come in with the fact he can't fly commercial, he does have somewhat of an entourage which we foot the bill for, all things that he can't just leave at home.

And yes, being president of the united states is different than any other federal employee. He can't just hop in a car and drive to the Poconos for the weekend. I think the most fair way to do this is set aside a budget for vacations - the logistics make it very difficult for anything else to really happen. He can't possibly pay for Air Force One to fly to even Texas for a 2 week vacation (the plane must stay with him, along with full flight crew at the ready at all times), let alone pay for the SS detail to be housed and fed.

I'm all for setting aside a budget for vacations provided his vacation is no more extravagant than that of the average citizen. If he wants something more than the average citizen gets for vacation, he's welcome to take that money out of his pocket.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

We have to foot the bill for his "entourage;" there's really no getting around that, even though I have some issues with it. I have security and a secretary, too; I don't take them on vacation with me. Any other expense related to him taking a personal vacation should come out of his pocket--including airfare.
Old 07-08-2014, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

Garage
Speaking of "travel expenses" the taxpayers were just informed that we're paying a lot more for Obama's little "visit" here.

Now that's nothing interesting, but the two people he's stumping for will not even be in attendance, or even in the state while he's here.

Seems you can't distance yourself enough from the guy.

Taxpayers to help pay for president's fundraising visit
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 07-08-2014, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: