Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 2.45 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/mueller-just-obtained-warrant-could-153200191.html

FBI Special Counsel Robert Mueller reportedly obtained a search warrant for records of the "inauthentic" accounts Facebook shut down earlier this month and the targeted ads these accounts purchased during the 2016 election.

The warrant was first disclosed by the Wall Street Journal on Friday night and the news was later confirmed by CNN.

Legal experts say the revelation has enormous implications for the trajectory of Mueller's investigation into Russia's election interference, and whether Moscow had any help from President Donald Trump's campaign team.

"This is big news — and potentially bad news for the Russian election interference 'deniers,'" said Asha Rangappa, a former FBI counterintelligence agent.

Rangappa, now an associate dean at Yale Law School, explained that to obtain a search warrant a prosecutor needs to prove to a judge that there is reason to believe a crime has been committed. The prosecutor then has to show that the information being sought will provide evidence of that crime.

Mueller would not have sought a warrant targeting Facebook as a company, Rangappa noted. Rather, he would have been interested in learning more about specific accounts.

"The key here, though, is that Mueller clearly already has enough information on these accounts — and their link to a potential crime to justify forcing [Facebook] to give up the info," she said. "That means that he has uncovered a great deal of evidence through other avenues of Russian election interference."

It also means that Mueller is no longer looking at Russia's election interference from a strict counterintelligence standpoint — rather, he now believes he may be able to obtain enough evidence to charge specific foreign entities with a crime.

Former federal prosecutor Renato Mariotti, now a partner at Thompson Coburn LLP, said that the revelation Mueller obtained a search warrant for Facebook content "may be the biggest news in the case since the Manafort raid."

The FBI conducted a predawn July raid on the home of Trump's former campaign chairman, Paul Manafort, in late July. The bureau is reportedly investigating Manafort's financial history and overseas business dealings as part of its probe into possible collusion between the campaign and Moscow.

jared kushner
(White House senior adviser Jared Kushner listens as President Donald Trump answer questions regarding the ongoing situation in North Korea, Friday, Aug. 11, 2017, at Trump National Golf Club in Bedminster, N.J.Associated Press/Pablo Martinez Monsivais)

The Facebook warrant "means that Mueller has concluded that specific foreign individuals committed a crime by making a 'contribution' in connection with an election," Mariotti wrote on Saturday.

"It also means that he has evidence of that crime that convinced a federal magistrate judge of two things: first, that there was good reason to believe that the foreign individual committed the crime. Second, that evidence of the crime existed on Facebook."

That has implications for Trump and his associates, too, Mariotti said.

"It is a crime to know that a crime is taking place and to help it succeed. That's aiding and abetting. If any Trump associate knew about the foreign contributions that Mueller's search warrant focused on and helped that effort in a tangible way, they could be charged."

Congressional intelligence committees are homing in on the campaign's data operation as a potential trove of incriminating information.

Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff, the ranking member of the House Intelligence Committee, told MSNBC earlier this month that he wants to know how sophisticated the Russian-bought ads were — in terms of their content and targets — to determine whether they had any help from the Trump campaign.

The House Intelligence Committee also wants to interview the digital director for Trump's campaign, Brad Parscale, who worked closely with Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner.

Kushner was put in charge of the campaign's entire data operation and is now being scrutinized by the FBI over his contacts with Russia's ambassador and the CEO of a sanctioned Russian bank in December.

Facebook said in its initial statement that about 25% of the ads purchased by Russians during the election "were geographically targeted," and many analysts have found it difficult to believe that foreign entities would have had the kind of granular knowledge of American politics necessary to target specific demographics and voting precincts.

In a post-election interview, Kushner told Forbes that he had been keenly interested in Facebook's "micro-targeting" capabilities from early on.

“I called somebody who works for one of the technology companies that I work with, and I had them give me a tutorial on how to use Facebook micro-targeting,” Kushner said.

“We brought in Cambridge Analytica. I called some of my friends from Silicon Valley who were some of the best digital marketers in the world," Kushner said. "

And I asked them how to scale this stuff . . . We basically had to build a $400 million operation with 1,500 people operating in 50 states, in five months to then be taken apart. We started really from scratch," he added.

"Blind respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth"
Old 09-16-2017, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1061 (permalink)
Regenerated User

Garage
Dips, Are you able to see Russia from your back yard?
Old 09-16-2017, 02:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1062 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72doug2,2S View Post
Palins head is in the way.

Old 09-16-2017, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1063 (permalink)

We will see.
Old 09-16-2017, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1064 (permalink)

Garage
I wonder how many of these 'ads' are memes that showed up here.

The full extent of Russia’s involvement in last year’s elections still isn’t fully known, which is one reason special counsel Robert Mueller is investigating. But Russian interests, among other things, purchased ads on Facebook that generally praised Donald Trump—the Kremlin’s preferred candidate—while deriding his opponent, Hillary Clinton. In general, it’s illegal for foreign interests to run ads in the United States on behalf of political candidates.

Russian operatives also appear to have created millions of fake accounts on both Facebook and Twitter, meant to fill social media with pro-Trump propaganda. That’s not necessarily illegal, but it does tarnish the trustworthiness of the two platforms and raise questions about whether they are tacit contributors in the possible tilting of an election.

Mueller has already obtained data from Facebook on the Russian ads and related matters, presumably using subpoena power. Congressional committees, also investigating Russian meddling in the election, have also asked for information and will apparently get it; Zuckerberg said he’ll give Congress much or all of the information Mueller has, including the 3,000 Russian ads themselves. (That means they’ll probably leak soon to the press.)

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/zuckerberg-acknowledges-russians-exploited-facebook-last-years-election-202101016.html

Old 09-21-2017, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1065 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by dipso View Post
I wonder how many of these 'ads' are memes that showed up here.
All of them.
George, Architect
Old 09-21-2017, 01:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1066 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
All of them.
Probably.

Old 09-21-2017, 01:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1067 (permalink)
Reiver

You mean social media can be exploited.....who knew?

Lol.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1068 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
You mean social media can be exploited.....who knew?

Lol.
Putin knew. Kushner knew.
I wonder how many of Sammys cartoons are made in Russia?

Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1069 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Putin knew. Kushner knew.
...lol....proof please...not your opinion.....who cares about cartoons....
IOTW, Hillary lost because democrats bought into Russian Cartoons? I could see that happening given the intercourse here.....wouldn't have to be good cartoons either....stick figures.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1070 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
My guess would be most of them.
George, Architect
Old 09-21-2017, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1071 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by kach22i View Post
My guess would be most of them.
Question for ya....Repubs/Cons were never going to vote for Hillary...so, who were the cartoons/adds directed at......and do you think they made a difference?

Also, I suspect most all of it was hinged upon some truth to make it believable...it's not like Hillary is not a wealth of cartoon inspiring material....
Old 09-21-2017, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1072 (permalink)

Judge Andrew Napolitano: Trump's frightening and tightening legal noose | Fox News
Old 09-21-2017, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1073 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
.....who cares about cartoons....
Why dis Island and Sammy like that?! A complete lack of cool on your part, bro!
Old 09-21-2017, 05:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1074 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72doug2,2S View Post
he can see the hookers on Anaheim street

Oh yeah, Trump won
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1075 (permalink)

Garage
From the article:
Quote:
This lawyer's apparently unfiltered and embarrassing public revelations of disputes within the White House over the appropriate presidential response to the special counsel’s demands are malpractice because they revealed to Mueller, as well as to the public, defects in the president’s legal strategy -- namely, the absence of a final legal decision-maker and the absence of a coherent strategy on the part of the president’s combined legal team.
This chaos management method of Trump has infected the legal team. That isn't easy to do is it?

Isn't it the lawyers that scheme to form a united front and a clear defense tactic all of the time?

Are they no match for Trump?

Quote:
...........In the hands of incompetent lawyers...............
Sorry, I'd look to the client as the source on this one Judge Andrew P. Napolitano, Fox News .
George, Architect

Last edited by kach22i; 09-22-2017 at 05:20 AM..
Old 09-22-2017, 05:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1076 (permalink)

Garage
Looks like Mueller is on the trail of Trumps 'pee tape'.
The spy that compiled it won't talk to the Senate Investigators, but is now talking to Mueller.

Robert Mueller's Russia Probe Reportedly Looking Into The 'Pee Tape' Dossier | HuffPost
Old 10-05-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1077 (permalink)
Reiver

Lol.....

14 months and nada

This means exactly what to you dipso? Even if this was not some made up bull**** (as everyone believes)...what does it mean to you.....

Last edited by Reiver; 10-05-2017 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-05-2017, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1078 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Looks like Mueller is on the trail of Trumps 'pee tape'.
The spy that compiled it won't talk to the Senate Investigators, but is now talking to Mueller.

Robert Mueller's Russia Probe Reportedly Looking Into The 'Pee Tape' Dossier | HuffPost
Quote:
CNN and NBC News reported Thursday that Mueller’s investigators have spoken to Christopher Steele, the former British spy who compiled the dossier. ..........

Burr added that he hopes Steele will eventually decide to meet with the committee.*
I think Steele is rightfully in fear for his life.

Wasn't his partner already murdered?

October 5, 2017
Mueller's team met with Russia dossier author - CNNPolitics
Quote:
Washington (CNN)Special Counsel Robert Mueller's investigators met this past summer with the former British spy whose dossier on alleged Russian efforts to aid the Trump campaign spawned months of investigations that have hobbled the Trump administration, according to two people familiar with the matter.

Information from Christopher Steele, a former MI-6 officer, could help investigators determine whether contacts between people associated with the Trump campaign and suspected Russian operatives broke any laws.
George, Architect
Old 10-05-2017, 04:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1079 (permalink)

Garage
This is the important part.

It also alleges that Russian officials are sitting on damaging information about the president, including accusations that Trump hired “a number of prostitutes to perform a ‘golden showers’ (urination) show in front of him” while staying in a hotel suite in Moscow that was under surveillance by Russian intelligence. "

So there's tape.
Old 10-05-2017, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1080 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: