Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Aussie Woman Shot By Cops

Any more news on this?

Justine Damond: Australian woman shot dead by police in Minneapolis
Old 07-16-2017, 11:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Just saw this... Bloody appalling.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Waiting for the riots to start in 3.. 2.. 1..

NM - she had a job and was a productive member of society. No one will care...
Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
It sure looks bad, but then I think my 8th grade school paper had more in-depth reporting than exists in this article. So far I don't believe anything in that article other than a woman is dead and police are investigating. The comments are beyond ignorant. People wonder why a dash cam didn't capture someone talking at the driver's window? Wow. I hope those cops are held to account if this was a bad shoot. I also hope that reporter learns to find some facts before even bothering to put pen to paper.
'83 SC
'87 Carrera
Old 07-17-2017, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

That lady looks terrifying. I'm sure the shooting was justified.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Simple really. It was dark. The cops roll up to the house. They see something in the dark and start shooting! So why did they shoot?
With the benefit of hindsight it was certainly a bad call but the cops generally don't shoot unless there's a bloody good reason.

I hope all is revealed in the investigation but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Evil Capitalist Pig

Garage
Ms Damond trained as a veterinarian in Sydney, and went on to study and practice yoga and meditation. She was a qualified yoga instructor, and a personal health and yoga coach.

What, you couldn't tell?

Yeah, fits the profile of a real menace, I could see how someone could confuse her with a Somali male with a handgun. She was pretty too. Maybe in Australia it's OK to walk up on cops like that. Too bad you can't do that here.

This had better be good, or cook the cops.

rjp
Old 07-17-2017, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

In Australia and canada be many other countries, citizens see cops as friendly and there to help

Approaching a cop is normal especially if you are the one who called them
Old 07-17-2017, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Simple really. It was dark. The cops roll up to the house. They see something in the dark and start shooting! So why did they shoot?
With the benefit of hindsight it was certainly a bad call but the cops generally don't shoot unless there's a bloody good reason.

I hope all is revealed in the investigation but I'm not holding my breath.
Doesn't the article say she went up to the drivers side window and the passenger cop shot across the driver? That's kinda strange.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayner View Post
In Australia and canada be many other countries, citizens see cops as friendly and there to help

Approaching a cop is normal especially if you are the one who called them
That's generally true but more recently not so much. I avoid them like the plague.

About 3 years ago the cops shot a French tourist on a beach in Sydney. He was high, had a knife & lunged at them so they shot him.
Not sure what happened in the investigation but the cops involved are still on the force.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsscott View Post
Doesn't the article say she went up to the drivers side window and the passenger cop shot across the driver? That's kinda strange.
Yes very strange & their body cams were turned off.
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I've called the cops before and walked up to talk to the driver when the car arrived. There was no issue at all and I probably look a lot more menacing than this woman did. For a passenger to shoot across his partner inside the car is beyond bizarre. That's extremely dangerous to the partner, to say nothing of what's beyond/behind the intended target. Very weird situation here and the investigators will have a lot of explaining to do. I hope any kind of whitewash is promptly put down and heads roll if they try it.
'83 SC
'87 Carrera
Old 07-17-2017, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Reiver

wtf?
Old 07-17-2017, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I agree with every criticism and every question raised in this thread. This is beyond bizarre.

I do foresee an "explanation", however, one that does not exonerate the cops but puts this in the category of officer error. As we've all seen, cops often don't follow policy when in the field--not for nefarious reasons but because they've gotten into the habit of short-cutting certain procedures because reality, immediacy, and their own experiences.

In this case, the cops got a 911 call about a violent assault in the alley. As the driver approached the alley, or were already at the alley, they may have seen an unknown person moving toward the car. At that point, the passenger pulls his weapon in anticipation while the driver still has his hands on the wheel and is focused on the person approaching. We don't know if the woman was running or not. If she was, all of this is condensed in time. Quickly, both cops realize the person is a woman who likely is not a threat, but they're not certain. The passenger still has his weapon drawn, but is not aiming. A conversation begins at the driver's window--content and excitement level, unknown, and there is no recorded evidence. During that conversation, the cop in the passenger's seat is listening, still with his weapon out, laying across his lap, aimed in the general direction of the driver's door. The passenger leans forward during the conversation to get a clear look at the woman or to better hear the conversation and the weapon accidentally discharges, killing the woman. There is no indication from the early reports that the woman was shot through the open window, just that she was shot through the door. Possibly, the door was open with the woman standing outside, slightly to the rear of the driver. If that's the case, the passenger would have to lean forward to see her clearly.

This whole thing is so unusual that it defies description. I do think we'll eventually see some variation of the above to explain this as an accidental shooting which does not necessarily mean one or both of the cops will keep their jobs.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip

Last edited by ossiblue; 07-17-2017 at 07:43 AM..
Old 07-17-2017, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossiblue View Post
I agree with every criticism and every question raised in this thread. This is beyond bizarre.

I do foresee an "explanation", however, one that does not exonerate the cops but puts this in the category of officer error. As we've all seen, cops often don't follow policy when in the field--not for nefarious reasons but because they've gotten into the habit of short-cutting certain procedures because reality, immediacy, and their own experiences.

In this case, the cops got a 911 call about a violent assault in the alley. As the driver approached the alley, or were already at the alley, they may have seen an unknown person moving toward the car. At that point, the passenger pulls his weapon in anticipation while the driver still has his hands on the wheel and is focused on the person approaching. We don't know if the woman was running or not. If she was, all of this is condensed in time. Quickly, both cops realize the person is a woman who likely is not a threat, but they're not certain. The passenger still has his weapon drawn, but is not aiming. A conversation begins at the driver's window--content and excitement level, unknown, and there is no recorded evidence. During that conversation, the cop in the passenger's seat is listening, still with his weapon out, laying across his lap, aimed in the general direction of the driver's door. The passenger leans forward during the conversation to get a clear look at the woman or to better hear the conversation and the weapon accidentally discharges, killing the woman. There is no indication from the early reports that the woman was shot through the open window, just that she was shot through the door. Possibly, the door was open with the woman standing outside, slightly to the rear of the driver. If that's the case, the passenger would have to lean forward to see her clearly.

This whole thing is so unusual that it defies description. I do think we'll eventually see some variation of the above to explain this as an accidental shooting which does not necessarily mean one or both of the cops will keep their jobs.
I'm curious about your description. Is it a hypothetical or is it from a report about the incident? My question has no cynicism or any other motivation other than curiosity. I do not want to derail this thread.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm curious about your description. Is it a hypothetical or is it from a report about the incident? My question has no cynicism or any other motivation other than curiosity. I do not want to derail this thread.
Purely hypothetical. I know nothing more than anyone who has read news accounts.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 07-17-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossiblue View Post
Purely hypothetical. I know nothing more than anyone who has read news accounts.
I agree that this has to be an accidental shooting of some degree. The woman, while probably emotional and frightened, could not have posed a threat warranting lethal force. That being said, the officer probably should not continue to possess a badge or a gun.
Old 07-17-2017, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Nabisco Premium Saltine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANDY P View Post
Ms Damond trained as a veterinarian in Sydney, and went on to study and practice yoga and meditation. She was a qualified yoga instructor, and a personal health and yoga coach.

What, you couldn't tell?

Yeah, fits the profile of a real menace, I could see how someone could confuse her with a Somali male with a handgun. She was pretty too. Maybe in Australia it's OK to walk up on cops like that. Too bad you can't do that here.

This had better be good, or cook the cops.

rjp
Prior to 2008, cops in US were not on edge like they have been since.

99 996
Old 07-17-2017, 08:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wilson View Post
Prior to 2008, cops in US were not on edge like they have been since.
What changed in '08?
Old 07-17-2017, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
I agree that this has to be an accidental shooting of some degree. The woman, while probably emotional and frightened, could not have posed a threat warranting lethal force. That being said, the officer probably should not continue to possess a badge or a gun.
Or walk among the unincarcerated.

Having a badge doesn't imbue you with special rights. You do not get the ability to commit negligent homicide and get away with it. Unfortunately, juries do see cops as ubermen and tend to forgive their mistakes, no matter how deadly.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 07-17-2017, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: