Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions > Off Topic - Politics and Religion

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 3.67 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Reiver

Fat Shaming

Another thread here had an obese person as the main character...this is not about her but about 'fat shaming' as it was coined as such.

Do you fat shame quietly to yourself or close friends. Not talking about confronting the fat person...just your personal reaction.

I do. In most cases Fat is a choice.

Flame on....
Old 09-09-2017, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Go easy on poor trump. He's never had to really work a day in his life, and eats too many cheetos.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Information Junky

Well if we don't have fat shaming how will the cows have a way to turn the tables and shame the fat shamer?

Seriously, fat people don't need to be pointed out for shaming, any more than a zit on someone's nose needs to be pointed out. Some things are so very apparent.

Of course, there are exceptions. Like when someone dies from their obesity and it's politically advantageous to blame the death on something else... pretend like the woman was a healthy young woman (girl).
Old 09-09-2017, 02:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
The woman who died at the rally in the thread that reiver refers to didn't talk to the press to tell them how to report the story.

So, referring to her as a fat pig seems to be fat shaming. She didn't tell the press that the impact of the car killed her - or that a heart attack occurred as she was watching a white supremacist take aim on a group of protesters, and she was in the line of impact. She isn't part of the MSM and had absolutely nothing to do with the reporting of the story of her death. However, adding 'fat pig' seems to have very little to do with the reporting of the story - other than a need to 'fat shame'.

And then we have island again doing the same thing - 'cows'.

Personal reaction - very little on my part, I don't 'secretly' call them 'fat pigs' or 'cows' to myself or close friends as reiver apparently does. I don't know these people, why would I judge them on their appearance?

Reiver, do you call the president a 'fat pig' to your close friends?
Old 09-09-2017, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by island911 View Post
. . .
Of course, there are exceptions. Like when someone dies from their obesity and it's politically advantageous to blame the death on something else... pretend like the woman was a healthy young woman (girl).
Cross-thread spinning of your narrative - well done!
Old 09-09-2017, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
The woman who died at the rally in the thread that reiver refers to didn't talk to the press to tell them how to report the story.

So, referring to her as a fat pig seems to be fat shaming. She didn't tell the press that the impact of the car killed her - or that a heart attack occurred as she was watching a white supremacist take aim on a group of protesters, and she was in the line of impact. She isn't part of the MSM and had absolutely nothing to do with the reporting of the story of her death. However, adding 'fat pig' seems to have very little to do with the reporting of the story - other than a need to 'fat shame'.

And then we have island again doing the same thing - 'cows'.

Personal reaction - very little on my part, I don't 'secretly' call them 'fat pigs' or 'cows' to myself or close friends as reiver apparently does. I don't know these people, why would I judge them on their appearance?

Reiver, do you call the president a 'fat pig' to your close friends?
LOL, I knew you would bite on 'cow." --not to say you bite on beef tooo often... that would be wrooong.

Wait wait... did you call the president a 'fat pig' - I think you did! Oh, the shame... you fat shamer, foxp.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rawknees'Turbo View Post
Cross-thread spinning of your narrative - well done!
coming from one of the clown triad.

Oh yeah, Trump won
I was wrong again but I will not apologize, I am a little man, Mike/satman
Old 09-09-2017, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Information Junky

Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
LOL, I knew you would bite on 'cow." --not to say you bite on beef tooo often... that would be wrooong.

Wait wait... did you call the president a 'fat pig' - I think you did! Oh, the shame... you fat shamer, foxp.
I merely asked Reiver if he referred to the CiC as a fat pig - since he admitted to 'closet' fat shaming.

The president appears to be overweight - but that has little bearing on the content of his character.

But, over and over again, we are witness to the content of yours.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
USAF VET

Garage
I typically like your views and opinions Reiver. Not crazy about this one.

But to answer rather question, No,I don't. I don't know their situation.

I recently sat next to a really overweight person on a flight. She was visibly embarrassed and had the extra seat belt thing. I switched my aisle for her middle and allowed her to keep the armrest up. She thanked me over and over, and you could see she had a bit of relief from her embarrassing situation.

I'm sure the constant reaction to their physical appearance distresses those folks enough without us doing it under our breath.

MattR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiver View Post
Another thread here had an obese person as the main character...this is not about her but about 'fat shaming' as it was coined as such.

Do you fat shame quietly to yourself or close friends. Not talking about confronting the fat person...just your personal reaction.

I do. In most cases Fat is a choice.

Flame on....
Old 09-09-2017, 03:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Information Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxpaws View Post
I merely asked Reiver if he referred to the CiC as a fat pig - since he admitted to 'closet' fat shaming.

The president appears to be overweight - ...
Wow, doubling down on your fat shaming of the POTUS.

And the whole time decrying fat shaming.

So, over and over again, we are witness to the content of your character.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Reiver

Yeah, just wondered....just an issue of mine...I figure if you do not take care of the equipment you were issued you are negligent.
This obesity thing didn't exist when I was a kid...I remember exactly 4 or 5 fat kids....out of hundreds....I do not remember fat adults either.
Hell, Jackie Gleason on the Honeymooners wouldn't stand out today.....
Old 09-09-2017, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Liberal Prawn

Garage
Quote:
Wow, doubling down on your fat shaming of the POTUS.

And the whole time decrying fat shaming.

So, over and over again, we are witness to the content of your character.
Yes, the content of my character.

And the desperation of yours.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Reiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt930s View Post
I typically like your views and opinions Reiver. Not crazy about this one.

But to answer rather question, No,I don't. I don't know their situation.

I recently sat next to a really overweight person on a flight. She was visibly embarrassed and had the extra seat belt thing. I switched my aisle for her middle and allowed her to keep the armrest up. She thanked me over and over, and you could see she had a bit of relief from her embarrassing situation.

I'm sure the constant reaction to their physical appearance distresses those folks enough without us doing it under our breath.

MattR
That was nice of you and at least you had an open seat to move to....
I'd have done the same...I'd not embarrass anyone and that was not my question either...internal reaction to gross obesity.

OTOH, I doubt that all of the fat embarrassed folks are suffering some fat creating disease other than lack of self control. Gluttony....
Old 09-09-2017, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I was always taught to keep my opinions about ones appearance to myself. Fat shaming just shows what kind of character you have and what kind of upbringing you had.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

That's a good question. In addition to plain old self indulgence, there can be other reasons why a person is obese. Do they suffer from PTSD? Are they severely depressed? Did they lose a child and just can't get over it? Who knows? For that reason I wouldn't judge them, even though most are voluntarily obese, but at the same time I completely disagree with the "fat is beautiful/healthy at any size" folks. I don't think I could ever look at someone who is 200lbs overweight and not think that there is something very wrong there. I don't know if that's fat shaming or just scientific reality.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
My son is 6'4" everyday someone asks wow how tall are you? A girl who works for me is under 5' and every day someone asks her how tall are you? Or they make height jokes. When my son was younger this really embarrassed him. Why is it okay to ask people these questions when they have no control over height, but not okay to ask a fat person wow how much do you weigh?
Old 09-09-2017, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Knee Pads are Overrated!

^^^

Mike, while I personally would not ask someone how tall or short they are, I think some people feel it is appropriate to do that, and not ask about one's weight, because to be overweight is associated with gross, ugly, etc., by our society, to a far greater level than height extremes (super short or super tall) are, so a question about weight implies a harsher insult than questions about height. That, and some folks simply have no home training when it comes to questions like that.

Last edited by Rawknees'Turbo; 09-09-2017 at 04:40 PM..
Old 09-09-2017, 04:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike80911 View Post
My son is 6'4" everyday someone asks wow how tall are you? A girl who works for me is under 5' and every day someone asks her how tall are you? Or they make height jokes. When my son was younger this really embarrassed him. Why is it okay to ask people these questions when they have no control over height, but not okay to ask a fat person wow how much do you weigh?

It just is. Why is it that people have to judge other people? Worry about ones self. It's simple.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Been known to jerk shame people behind their backs.

Or to their faces.

Last week my wife had to tell the nice Church Lady that she would be happy to leave if the nice lady couldn't be civil. My wife does the books for the church. Maybe the poor lady just needed a sandwich, I don't know...

So do we judge people by the contents of their character, or by the color or size of their skin ? I have met some nice people of all shapes and sizes, and some really pathetic people of great appearance and or lofty sentiment. Simply claiming the high ground doesn't put you there.

So Jesus stands before the crowd. ''Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.''.
Suddenly a big rock flies out from the back of the crowd and strikes him in the chest.
''MA, CUT IT OUT !''

We are all Bozos on this bus...
Old 09-09-2017, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: