Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
globalnomad

Moving to Portland - Seeking Advice

Hi fellow Pelicanites,

The family and I are considering moving to Portland from Missoula, Montana and who better to ask advice on living there than all of you. Important topics for us are:

- Schools (we have a 10 month old and a 4 1/2 year old)
- Where to live + where to store the cars listed below...I hear garages are challenging to come by??
- Porsche mechanics (obviously)

We're in town on Sunday 9/23 and Monday 9/24 to explore so your top 3 things to see/do while we are there would be also much appreciated.

Thanks!
Devin & family
1986 911 M491 Cabrio - Topless Fun
2005 Cayenne Turbo - I don't always drive an SUV, but when I do it has 450hp my friend.
Old 09-15-2018, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A great question. Best schools are riverdale, lakeoswego, lincoln, lakeridge, Westlinn plus or minus. You have few years!

Storing your cars will be a challenge in the city. Out a bit, west Linn or east side Portland there are more options.

Favorite things? Portlanders get outside when the weather allows it. September should be nice. Walk around some of the city streets like Hawthorne at the 39th block or Division st closer in.

Go to food carts. Fun for all tastes.

Drink local beer

Go to Powell's books

Go to Next Adventure for fun outdoor gear that is cheap.

See live music or some sort of performance. When winter hits, people have lots of entertainment options because it is drippy outside

Drive up the columbia gorge or down to cannon beach on the coast

Look up your favorite hobbies and there are probably some way to support it in Portland.

Mechanics? Lots of good ones. I like three for different reasons.

Maybe PM me for more?

Welcome!

Larry
Old 09-16-2018, 04:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
globalnomad

Larry - Thanks for the info!! Will drop you a PM with my email to continue to convo there.

Re: the cars...we're most concerned about keeping the 356's nice and dry in the wet Portland weather. I'm already scouring Craigslist for commercial space for rent...

-Devin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
A great question. Best schools are riverdale, lakeoswego, lincoln, lakeridge, Westlinn plus or minus. You have few years!

Storing your cars will be a challenge in the city. Out a bit, west Linn or east side Portland there are more options.

Favorite things? Portlanders get outside when the weather allows it. September should be nice. Walk around some of the city streets like Hawthorne at the 39th block or Division st closer in.

Go to food carts. Fun for all tastes.

Drink local beer

Go to Powell's books

Go to Next Adventure for fun outdoor gear that is cheap.

See live music or some sort of performance. When winter hits, people have lots of entertainment options because it is drippy outside

Drive up the columbia gorge or down to cannon beach on the coast

Look up your favorite hobbies and there are probably some way to support it in Portland.

Mechanics? Lots of good ones. I like three for different reasons.

Maybe PM me for more?

Welcome!

Larry
1986 911 M491 Cabrio - Topless Fun
2005 Cayenne Turbo - I don't always drive an SUV, but when I do it has 450hp my friend.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Research the electric rates. I live south of Portland and we have many people moving this way because of the electric rates in the Portland area.
McMinnville, Ore
Old 09-17-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Mmmm. McMinnville is a great town! I approve.

Cheaper as well.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Here's the realty business for one of the organizers of the local cars & coffee meet ( you might find this helpful):

Portland Homes For Cars | Homes for car enthusiasts
Old 09-19-2018, 10:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you want an affordable area to live in, stay out of the City of Portland and Multnomah county. Highest property taxes in the state, worst schools. Sadly I live in both and my property taxes jumped nearly $2k this year. A few more items to address on my house and I'm out...

Watch the boundary lines closely. Portland spills over into other counties. Make sure the address of any place you are looking at is out of Portland and Multnomah.

If you can swing it, I'd stay out of the Portland, Metro area.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Devin - We moved to Portland from Dallas, TX, 13 1/2 years ago and love it! I have a freshman at Lincoln so I can speak intelligently about that school cluster. We live in NW PDX in the hills. All kinds of stuff to do - and with your kids' age be sure to check out the Children's Museum in Washington Park and OMSI (and a few great family-friendly brewpubs near there...). I've used two local shops - one I used once and one I've used since.

Anyway, feel free to PM or email me and I'd be happy to provide more info and if helpful chat on the phone.

P.S. Sorry I didn't see this until your weekend is basically over. At least the weather has been pretty nice for you! (September is generally my favorite month in PDX.)
Old 09-23-2018, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
If you're not stuck on being in Portland, check out SW Washington as well. Vancouver schools are a mixed bag, Camas is pretty good but overcrowded and Washougal is probably the next up and coming. Can't speak much of schools north of Vancouver, but have heard good things about Salmon Creek.
Old 09-25-2018, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Washington has sales tax. Might not apply in counties boarding on Oregon.
McMinnville, Ore
Old 09-25-2018, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Autocross/Hillclimbs

Garage
I missed this thread -
I personally grew up in Wilsonville, and went to Wilsonville schools until 6th grade, at which point I transferred and spent the rest of my years at Riverdale.
Aside from the typically HS drama, Riverdale was a great school. I did not appreciate some of the students attitudes of entitlement, which is related to the wealth issue in some. But the teachers were great, as I believe was the education I took away from there.
It's a semi-private school, meaning if you don't spend a fortune to live in the Dunthorpe neighborhood, you will pay for it as a private school.

My personal preference is to stay on the West side of the river. I currently live in Newberg because I don't want to be too close to town, and prices out here are a step better than in town. But it's growing fast, which means values will hopefully continue to rise here, and by the time I want to move on I should have some decent equity.
Plus no emissions testing here. I'm right at the boundary for that.
Old 10-05-2018, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: