Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Regional Forums > Pacific NorthWest -US (WA/ID/OR/UT/HI/AK)

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
FPH Gruppe

Welder recommendations Bellingham to Everett

John, are ya bored??
Wanna weld on an old Brit bike?

Working on a 71 Triumph Bonneville and need some help with bracing and rebuilding center stand brackets.

Here's what I want mine to look like, angle iron added to oil in frame tube:

I need a brace here and the cut tabs rebuilt:

Anyone in the area you have a good track record with?
Reasonably sorted
Old 05-17-2019, 08:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

My neighbor's son is a great welder/fabricator. Marysville, Lake Stevens area.
Old 05-18-2019, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
A.C.T welding in Clearview. He has done several jobs for me on motorcycles and some work on the Porsche.

https://www.actwelding.com/

He's a one man show working out a big shop in his backyard. He's a good fabricator and a professional welder.

Last edited by Walter_Middie; 06-09-2019 at 06:30 AM..
Old 06-09-2019, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
FPH Gruppe

Thanks for the replies!!

I called and left a message with your neighbor John, he must be busy though... I didn't hear back.

I was talking with my big brother and told him what I was in the middle of, he said he knew someone who has a shop in Marysville- turned out to be the Son of one of my brother's co-workers.
He was very accommodating, did a great job too!
Looks just like the welds you find on early 70's Triumphs, he's got one of the most awesome shops I've ever seen!

Jim Sheflo's shop:

Bonneville welds

A bit of paint
Reasonably sorted

Last edited by Skip Newsom; 06-27-2019 at 07:41 AM..
Old 06-27-2019, 07:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
FPH Gruppe

Looking like a motorcycle again

Still need to set valves, timing, add oil, fuel and kick it to life.
Reasonably sorted
Old 07-12-2019, 09:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

That is beautiful, Skip.

Do you still go to Backfire, now that it has moved to The Shop? It should be next week.

Oh, and I know it's a bit late, but I did find a welder I would like to try:

"God invented whiskey so the Irish wouldn't rule the world"
Old 07-12-2019, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
FPH Gruppe

What is this "Backfire" of which you speak?

A JW thingie?
Been wanting to see his place!

I'll send a PM
Reasonably sorted
Old 07-15-2019, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
FPH Gruppe

I'd wager that welder does fine work, fine work indeed
Reasonably sorted
Old 07-15-2019, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Backfire Moto - Main
Old 07-16-2019, 08:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Oops - sorry Skip, I had you and Rex confused. Too many of us local Pelicans who are into the old bikes as well. Rex and I have been going to Backfire Moto for years.

Your new Trumpet would fit right in. Backfire is a gathering of mainly cafe' and rat rod kinds of bikes, with a good helping of vintage cool - like your bike. It's one of the only local "non-Harley" centric motorcycle gatherings (although plenty of Harleys do show up).

It used to be held in Ballard, out in the street between the Shelter Lounge and the Bit Saloon. The proprietors would drag their sound systems outside and blast rock'n'roll up and down the street while we all milled about checking out one another's bikes. It was a very eclectic gathering, with everyone from kids scraping to pull together their own vision of a cool cafe' bike to some clearly very well to do arriving on their custom Harley "billet barges". More of the former, thank God.

Alas, it has now somehow been commandeered by The Shop and moved to SODO. It's still kind of a fun gathering, but the edgy biker vibe is all but gone. Lots more high-end custom Harley "check book builds" show up now, but there are still some cool home built cafe's and the like. It's worth a trip to check it out. Third Wednesday every month (tomorrow). Bikes start trickling in around 3:00-ish.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Speaking of The Shop and Backfire, I have a little story to share about my first experience attending at this new location.

So, I've been to The Shop on many occasions for Porsche related events. Our local R Gruppe chapter has been there a couple of times, once for a special pre-opening tour and once for dinner. I've attended many PCA events there as well. Nothing out of the ordinary - a pleasant experience on every occasion.

Then I went for Backfire. I went in to have a bite to eat, and was greeted by a pleasant young lady who was going to be my waitress. As I placed my order, she asked for a credit card. Before I was even served. This never happened when I was there for Porsche events. Kind of put me off a bit... so, I said I was planning on paying cash. She told me she still needed a card to have "on file" before she would put in my order. Now I was more than a little offended...

So I decided to fck with her. I leaned over and whispered "gee, this is kinda embarrassing, but I don't actually have a credit card... I haven't been able to qualify for one since I got out on my last murder rap..." Her face went blank. I told her I would be happy to pay cash up front. She said something like "no, that's o.k., we're fine..." as she hurried away. She did bring me my food, and I did pay in cash. Left her a good tip as well.

So, yeah, it was bad enough that The Shop more or less stole this event from the two pubs in Ballard (and if you really want to hear an earful on the situation, just have a beer at either and ask about it - they are very, very bitter), they don't even trust this "dirty biker" clientele that they went so far out of their way to attract. Kind of a weird situation. I would be willing to bet that it won't be long before the core cafe' / rat bike crowd moves on. It's just not the same vibe.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: